Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

S3D and firmware retraction

Posted by clearlynotstefan 
S3D and firmware retraction
January 24, 2017 04:23AM
Hey all, I'm trying to set up retraction with my Duet wifi (latest firmware) and Simplify3D.

David, I believe you're an S3D user yourself, could you share your S3D setup and your M20x configs so I can see how you've got this going for firmware retraction? Currently my retractions shoot back 5mm at a solid speed, then fail to unretract, causing no filament to come out till its halfway through the layer!
Re: S3D and firmware retraction
January 24, 2017 01:03PM
Are you using 1.17c+2 firmware?

I am not using S3D with firmware retraction at present, but I will try it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 24, 2017 03:16PM
Yes, just updated my firmware yesterday.
January 24, 2017 04:37PM
clearlynotstefan
Yes, just updated my firmware yesterday.

I only released 1.17c+2 today!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 24, 2017 04:42PM
Doh! Alright I'll give that a shot. Still, I'm confident firmware retraction isn't set up properly in either my s3d settings or my config, as others were successfully using earlier firmwares with it.
January 24, 2017 05:05PM
clearlynotstefan
Doh! Alright I'll give that a shot. Still, I'm confident firmware retraction isn't set up properly in either my s3d settings or my config, as others were successfully using earlier firmwares with it.

Check the gcode file that S3D generates, and look for the firmware retraction/un-retraction commands. I am told that they are M103 and M101 (which are now supported in RRF), but I haven't confirmed that.

January 24, 2017 05:23PM
I've just printed a file sliced by S3D using firmware retraction. You check the box marked "Include M101/M102/M103 commands" in the G-Code tab and un-check the Retraction box in the Extruder tab. It generates M101/M103 commands in some rather silly places e.g. when finishing the first perimeter and starting the second perimeter from almost the same place, but otherwise it seems to work OK.

January 25, 2017 12:44AM
LOL I figured it out. I had accidentally unchecked relative extrusion distances in S3d lol. Everytime it'd retract it'd come halfway out of the bowden tube!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login