Could do with some help in getting my Duet board working over USB [RESOLVED]
February 01, 2017 03:35PM
I'll start by saying that the conventional way of using a Duet - using the web page - is fine for a lot of my work, especially when I'm printing a well-established design. However, when I'm deep into prototyping, the ability to load up a design and play easily and quickly with slicing parameters is a huge bonus (usually in Repetier-Host). It matches the workflow I like to use on my RAMPS-equipped Prusa, because of the ability to stop a print, make an adjustment, clear the bed and restart in just a couple of minutes, even though in all other respects my Duet-powered CoreXY is superior. I can live with the slowness of the USB link in these situations.

This is my setup:
G&C CoreXY printer
Duet 0.6 board running the latest firmware and web code (well, the firmware is at 1.15c, so very close to latest).
Linux Mint 18.1 on an 8-core AMD-powered PC.

It almost works over USB - I can command moves in all 3 directions, extrude, etc. but Repetier-Host doesn't display the bed and hot-end temps - it doesn't appear to be receiving the data for them. Obviously I am not happy to print when I don't know what the temps are, for all sorts of practical and safety reasons.

Looking at Repetier-Host's 'Printer Settings', I'm using port /dev/ttyACM0 with a baud rate of 115200 (250000 isn't available in Linux without patching the kernel). Transfer Protocol is set to Autodetect (other choices are ASCII and 'Repetier protocol'). 'Use Ping-Pong Communication' is unchecked.

Can anyone see anything wrong here? Or is there something else I should be looking at? The only point I'd add is that although I'm a keen Linux user, getting deep into the command line is a challenge for me - though I can cope up to a certain level!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 05:10AM by David J.
Re: Could do with some help in getting my Duet board working over USB
February 01, 2017 04:51PM
Repetier Host worked with the Duet last time I tested it. Have you selected a tool? With no tool selected, I think the M105 command reports the bed temperature only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2017 04:52PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 01, 2017 05:11PM
Where should I set that in Repetier-Host if I'm only heating the bed and hotend, rather than running an object's gcode?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2017 05:13PM by David J.
February 02, 2017 04:48AM
I just tested with Repetier Host 1.6.1, and I am getting bed temperature reported updated even with no tool selected. You need to have a tool selected to get hot end temperature reports. I had to go Manual Control and turn off the Info and Errors buttons at the bottom to stop it echoing all the commands that PanelDue is sending.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 05:25AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 02, 2017 05:08AM
I have to apologise - yesterday must have been an off-day for my printer. Then, it wouldn't show the temps - today it does.

It is a bit slower though... I will have to see if I can get the port speed up (but I don't like interfering with the kernel!).

Sorry if I've made you waste time looking at this...

Cheers,
David
February 02, 2017 05:28AM
The port speed setting is probably irrelevant, because the Duet uses a true USB connection (not USB-over-serial), so there is no baud rate involved. It's possible that Repetier host takes notice of the baud rate and sends data more slowly when you set a low baud rate, although I doubt it. The important thing is to have "ping pong" unchecked.

February 02, 2017 08:31AM
Thanks. I might try setting Repetier-Host to 230400, which is a 'normal' speed for Linux... just for the hell of it...
February 02, 2017 10:03AM
Well, I set it to 460800 (another standard baud rate for Linux) and it continues to work nicely, which reinforces what you said about it being a true USB setup. The only thing that still sounds a bit clunky is when it's printing the 3-row skirt around the part - I have no idea why, as when it gets to the part itself it prints smoothly. I'm not going to stress about it though...
February 02, 2017 11:33AM
David J
The only thing that still sounds a bit clunky is when it's printing the 3-row skirt around the part - I have no idea why, as when it gets to the part itself it prints smoothly. I'm not going to stress about it though...

That probably means that the skirt has some rather abrupt angles in it instead of smooth curves. Reducing the jerk setting in the firmware will make it sound better; but if you set it too low then curves will print slowly.

February 02, 2017 01:32PM
dc42

That probably means that the skirt has some rather abrupt angles in it instead of smooth curves. Reducing the jerk setting in the firmware will make it sound better; but if you set it too low then curves will print slowly.

In this instance, it was circular. The piece itself is one of my test files - a circle about 60mm diam with a few shapes cut out of it. The skirt was a few mm outside of this. I'm wondering if the precision of the skirt circle was low - the equivalent to the $fn value in OpenSCAD. I've attached the STL file, for info.

It's a minor nuisance rather than a real problem, as it doesn't affect the actual print.
Attachments:
open | download - adhesion test.stl (32.5 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login