Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z motor delta question

Posted by clearlynotstefan 
Z motor delta question
April 10, 2017 03:22PM
Hey DC, Quick question. I'm considering making something of a flying extruder and I'd like to know if my duet wifi could play nice with my idea and how to do it.

My tall delta is so big that I'm having retraction issues with my top mounted extruder and crazy long Bowden. I can't side mount it as I'm enclosing the printer. I might try a standard flying extruder but I see some drawbacks there too. Ideally I'd like to suspend my extruder from the top of the machine via a cable attached to a spare stepper motor that basically reels up the extruder as z height raises. I have an extra stepper driver on the duet, but I'd need a way of telling the machine to set that motor to 0 at start and raise up with each layer to match the Z height. Then I'd just need a Bowden long enough to reach all Xy points from 0 . Any ideas how to make this idea work? I'd basically be creating a new axis entirely! I'm pretty sure I could make my S3D play nice with feeding appropriate G code using the replace script by basically replacing G1 Zn with "G1 Zn + G1 NEWAXISn", but the duet presumably needs to play a role too as steps/mm etc are all firmware side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 03:29PM by clearlynotstefan.
Re: Z motor delta question
April 10, 2017 05:04PM
This is something that I would be interested in implementing. You would need a homing switch for the additional motor, and you would home the additional axis simultaneously with the towers, which is straightforward to add in homedelta.g. Then we would need to define how the 4th motor moves. This could be in step with the Z height; but it might be better (and possibly simpler) to make it a virtual tower with its own XY position, so that it can adjust its height with the effector XY position too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 05:04PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 10, 2017 10:31PM
...sooo, how do we do it? Lol
April 13, 2017 04:35AM
I am also very interested in this feature, and would like to offer my 1 meter high enclosed delta for testing smiling smiley
April 13, 2017 06:07AM
Please can one of you start a new thread about this in the firmware wishlist section of the forums at duet3d.com. Id' rather discuss it there because that forum has a better response time than this one, also other Duet users may want to contribute.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login