Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DUET with IR sensor

Posted by selva_tvi 
DUET with IR sensor
May 01, 2017 07:11AM
Hi,

I am using DUET 0.6 board with 4 pin IR sensor bought from [reprapltd.com].

I have some queries.

1. In config.g, in M558 this IR sensor to be selected as P1 or P2?

2. Previously I used, P1 and it was running smoothly. Yesterday all of a sudden the IR probe stopped probing. One print was completed and the other print started, at that time the probe didn't work. I checked for the wiring. Everything was ok. I replaced another sensor with the same wiring, the new sensor was working. I am really surprised why the sensor stopped working. Any way to check for the working of the sensor?

3. With this 4pin IR sensor, some times I am not getting proper results. I am using 4 probe points. When printing, 3 corners will be sticking properly and one corner will be lifting without sticking. What is the reason for that? I tried with plain glass sticked with Masking tape at the probing points, also I used plain Aluminum. Both are having the same problem. I re-tightened the mechanics also.

4. I am using some LED strips inside the Enclosure. Whether the LED light is creating issues with the sensor? Is it be switched off before homing and auto bed compensation?

5. I bought Buildtak clone from Aliexpress. [www.aliexpress.com]. The probe was not detecting the surface. I had to use White masking tape to get detected. Will the original White and Black Buildtak also will not be detected?

Thanks for creating Baby stepping with the new firmware. Its just amazing.

Thanks
Selvakumaran
Re: DUET with IR sensor
May 02, 2017 08:34AM
That type of sensor will work using P1 or P2, but P2 is better because it will be less sensitive to ambient IR. LED lighting should not affect it, neither will fluorescent. Incandescent light (especially halogen) and bright sunlight are likely to affect it. The bed surface needs to have uniform reflectivity at all the probe points. The instructions for the printer that this sensor was designed for say you should use white paper squares at the probe points, which you can cover with Kapton tape if you print on Kapton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2017 04:51PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 02, 2017 10:12AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Two more questions:
1. Yesterday all of a sudden the IR probe stopped probing. One print was completed and the other print started, at that time the probe didn't work. I checked for the wiring. Everything was ok. I replaced another sensor with the same wiring, the new sensor was working. I am really surprised why the sensor stopped working. Any way to check for the working of the sensor?

2. I bought Buildtak clone from Aliexpress. [www.aliexpress.com]. The probe was not detecting the surface. I had to use White paper tape to get detected. Will the original White and Black Buildtak also will not be detected?
May 02, 2017 05:00PM
The proximity sensor developed by RepRapPro that is now available from reprapltd just looks for a certain level of reflection from the surface. It's not likely to work with the dark grey BuildTak, but it may work with the white version.

I manufacture a different type of IR sensor that uses 2 IR beams so as to be insensitive to how light or dark the bed surface is. See [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for more. It does work on a bed covered with dark grey BuildTak.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login