Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

(small) Feature request

Posted by unromeo21 
(small) Feature request
May 03, 2017 02:09PM
So.. this happened to me a couple of times and it seems that it doesn't get into my head that I should NOT interrupt a print in the early stage while heating up the bed and with the axes not homed yet by clicking on "Pause Print".... My pause script than does it's job, sending my carriage into the "hard limits" of my printer with loud noises... Could that button check for homed axes before executing any moves in the pause script ?
Or .. should I just click on "Emergency Stop" if I want to cancel the print in the warming up phase ?

Thanks !
Re: (small) Feature request
May 03, 2017 02:51PM
I have done this so many times myself that when I realize I need to stop it, I just power cycle. Would be great if it could just abort the heating and quit when pausing at that point.
May 03, 2017 05:39PM
I always home the axes before heating, or at the same time i.e. start heating, home axes, wait for heating to finish, then run auto calibration or bed compensation, then print.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 03, 2017 05:45PM
The problem is, at least for me with S3D is that it doesn't start running the user's script until after the printer has heated up. Homing the printer is the first thing in my script, but that doesn't happen until after the heating. If there is a way to change how S3D does this, I would be glad to make that change.
May 04, 2017 12:09AM
M83			; relative extruder moves
G1 E-4 F2500		; retract 4mm
G91			; relative moves
G1 Z10 F600		; raise nozzle 10mm
This is my entire pause script. I've never had the issue of hitting hard limits, simply because it doesn't try to go anywhere but up. I pause during heating up all the time with this.

I also always start the heating process, upload the file while it's heating, then start the print once I'm good and ready. That way I can monitor the first print moves to make sure the print has started correctly. I don't need the whole print going to hell because the first layer messed up due to improper bed leveling, or there was an issue with the filament or something. Just like one would never run a job on a CNC-whatever (mill, lathe, etc) without watching at least the first moves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2017 12:12AM by Masterjuggler.
May 04, 2017 12:17AM
Just because we don't preheat before starting a print like you do, doesn't mean we don't watch the first layer.
May 04, 2017 12:54AM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you don't. I just ranted a bit too long about the reasoning behind my process. What I was trying to say was that I think it's easier to time watching the first layer when starting the print after it's heated, rather than having to watch it and trying to time it when the printer thinks it's heated up enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2017 12:55AM by Masterjuggler.
May 04, 2017 02:54AM
If S3D is similar to slic3r, you can add a M104 S{first_layer_temp} line in your start code. Slic3r then doesn't put a M104-line before your start code.
( same for M190 code )
May 04, 2017 09:16AM
Masterjuggler
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you don't. I just ranted a bit too long about the reasoning behind my process. What I was trying to say was that I think it's easier to time watching the first layer when starting the print after it's heated, rather than having to watch it and trying to time it when the printer thinks it's heated up enough.

So it is you have to time starting the print after heating or time watching the print after it heats. Personally, I prefer the later since I can be working on something else and when I hear the printer, I know when to start watching.
May 05, 2017 03:03AM
I know, the solution here would be to edit the Pause script so it only raises the head a little bit, but when I pause I also want to have full access to the print for different actions, so this is a little bit unpractical.
I also use S3D, so yes, homing the printer is always done after heating. Can it be configured to do a home before anything else ?
Sometimes I just need to cancel the print in the early stages before it starts printing because I forgot to add something to the slicer config or I changed my mind about a specific slicer property, it happens..
May 05, 2017 04:53AM
In firmware 1.19alpha I've changed things so that pause.g, resume.g and cancel.g are not run unless all axes have been homed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 05, 2017 08:13AM
dc42
In firmware 1.19alpha I've changed things so that pause.g, resume.g and cancel.g are not run unless all axes have been homed.

While that will fix the problem with movement, there are still activities in those scripts that should be performed, such as turning off heaters, fans, lights, or other items that were activated at the start of the print.
May 05, 2017 09:02AM
Well, if we don't do any moves with cancel.g and only turn off fans,temps, etc, than there is no need to include it in the homing check.

ElmoC
dc42

While that will fix the problem with movement, there are still activities in those scripts that should be performed, such as turning off heaters, fans, lights, or other items that were activated at the start of the print.
May 05, 2017 09:14AM
unromeo21
Well, if we don't do any moves with cancel.g and only turn off fans,temps, etc, than there is no need to include it in the homing check.

ElmoC
dc42

Not sure what you are trying to say. If the print had actually moved the hotend, I would want the hotend moved after the cancel in addition to the other activities.
May 05, 2017 10:38AM
unromeo21

If the printer has not been homed, then on print cancellation the firmware behaves as if cancel.g is not present, i.e. turns off all the heaters.

ElmoC
Not sure what you are trying to say. If the print had actually moved the hotend, I would want the hotend moved after the cancel in addition to the other activities.

If you moved the head during the print, you should have homed it first.

May 06, 2017 07:45PM
David, is it possible to add G28 command parameter to support "home only if not already homed" behaviour? Sometimes this can help for those (including me) who forget to home printer before print.
May 07, 2017 06:46AM
roboprint
David, is it possible to add G28 command parameter to support "home only if not already homed" behaviour? Sometimes this can help for those (including me) who forget to home printer before print.

I put a homing command in the slicer's startup script that gets added to the beginning of every gcode file I produce - every time I print that file, it homes everything before trying to lay down filament
(unless I have mis-understood what you're trying to achieve! winking smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2017 06:48AM by David J.
May 07, 2017 07:21AM
David J
roboprint

I put a homing command in the slicer's startup script that gets added to the beginning of every gcode file I produce - every time I print that file, it homes everything before trying to lay down filament
(unless I have mis-understood what you're trying to achieve! winking smiley )

Yes, this is exactly what I want. But I want this G28 command to work only if printer is not already homed. For example, if G28 does not contain S1 parameter - it will always home. But if G28 contain S1 parameter it will home only if not already homed. In this case I can add G28 S1 to every g-code file and I will be sure that printer will not be homed again before print if it already homed.
May 07, 2017 07:37AM
Does homing take so long on your printer? It doesn't seem it would take long to home if already homed.
May 07, 2017 08:06AM
ElmoC
Does homing take so long on your printer? It doesn't seem it would take long to home if already homed.

Homing procedure is fast enough. But sometimes I don't want to re-home before second print of the same thing (after first print) because sometimes I use G92 Z0 for better first layer and so on. Also this feature will be useful for those who using z-probe for autocalibration to keep results (homing can affect results of previous calibration).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login