Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Raspberry Pi as display

Posted by Napalm1432 
Raspberry Pi as display
May 10, 2017 07:16AM
Hi there,

I would like to add a raspberry pi as the display controller, and using the webinterface on the Pi.
I thought of doing this by using the ethernet ports, and using a crosscable.
I'm not sure if this is the way to go, or if another way is better.
So far i haven't got it to work, so i hope someone can help me!

Kind regards,
Raymond
Re: Raspberry Pi as display
May 10, 2017 07:27AM
In this case, I think you'd either need a switch to plug the raspberrypi and the duet board into with both having different ip addresses in the same subnet, and then you;d just use a browser on the raspberrypi to view the DWC pages from the duet. It wouldn't be any different than if your PC was playing the role of the raspberrypi.

Alternatively, you could skip the switch and use a cross over cable between the duet and the raspberrypi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 07:27AM by PDBeal.
May 10, 2017 07:33AM
I am already using a crossover cable (a switch inside the printer doesn't seem like a good idea)
I had tried accessing the web interface, but it won't load, anything i'm forgetting or doing wrong?
May 10, 2017 08:48AM
make sure you have ip addresses defined in the raspberrypi and the duet that are both in the same subnet. For example, your duet might be 192.168.0.4, then your raspberrypi should be something else in the 192.168.0 subnet like 192.168.0.6. You'll have to specify that in the raspberrypi and the duet board to use a cross over cable. Neither side should have a gateway defined, or it should be set to 0.0.0.0.

One thing I have run into, sometimes on the odd occasion, when my duet board boots up it doesn't fully initialize the networking. I usually have to reboot the duet to get it to communicate with the network. Now in my case, the duet is connected to a switch. I don't know how the duet would react to the cross over cable as the raspberrypi might not produce a link immediately like a switch does. Not sure if that would cause any issues with the duet loading the networking properly or not, but it is something to think about. That being said, newer firmware revisions have rendered this issue with the network even more scarce to the point I don't remember if I've seen it on any one of the four Duet 0.8.5 since they were upgraded to 1.18.1.
May 11, 2017 03:18AM
I'm using RasPi with OctoPi as display and controller for my RADDS, but I'm interested to know, how to use ChrisHamm's DWC instead.
I guess it requires a specific FW-build?
May 11, 2017 06:27PM
DWC uses the native HTTP interface provided by RRF on Duet boards with Ethernet or WiFi support. The RADDS build of RRF doesn't include network support, because Arduino Due/RADDS doesn't include networking hardware. The closest anyone has come was to add a ESP8266 chip connected to the serial port to provide a basic network interface. That provided the basic DWC functionality, but not high speed file upload. If you are interested, you will find the thread about this in the Developers section of this forum.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 12, 2017 02:26AM
I got the new V3 expansion board from RADDS.org with the extra WiFi/ bluetooth port. Will be interesting to see, if I can make it work with RRF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login