Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan short!

Posted by clearlynotstefan 
Fan short!
May 13, 2017 08:45AM
So I did some work on my effector and was changing my part cooling setup. I wired two 30 mm fans in series to always on fan one. Long story short my splice wrap came undone connecting hot to ground and melting the connector to fan 1, throwing a few sparks and shutting the machine down. Machine would only give me a blue led after that and I assume she was gone forever. But then a miracle happened, I flipped it over to check the back and momentarily she came back to life, panel duo and all, so I'm hoping she's salvagable. However, I've been unable to replicate this miracle. What happens to a duet wifi when always on ones +/- short? Any chance of saving her? Thanks as always!
Re: Fan short!
May 13, 2017 09:18AM
When you short out an always on fan output, typically the trace from VIN to the fan voltage selector jumper block fuses. The result is no power to the fans, but everything else still works. The fused trace can be bypassed.

If you are not getting the 5V or 3.3V LED lighting up, either you have a short from 5V to ground, or the trace feeding VIN feed to the on-board switching regulator has failed, or the switching regulator has failed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 13, 2017 02:21PM
Where's this switching regulator / how can I go about testing these options? Thanks as always!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2017 02:21PM by clearlynotstefan.
May 13, 2017 04:31PM
See the schematic at [github.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 13, 2017 05:17PM
Great, I'm not an electrical engineer so a few basic questions if you have a moment. Let's say it's a blown via. Can I create a bridge to replace it? I'd be afraid of bypassing all the stuff in between if I just jumped the solder pad to VIN. Next, if it is the regulator itself, or if the via can't be bridged, would getting a 5V power supply and setting the jumper pins accordingly allow me to completely bypass the regulator? A 5v supply is cheaper than a new board. Basically if you were in my position what would be your next move? Tomorrow is mother's day in the states and I spent all day making an stl, I'd be thrilled to get back online l and get it printing! sad smiley
May 14, 2017 01:33AM
Ok so plugging in a USB to supply 5V has fixed the problem, not ideal, but I'll just keep it plugged into the other outlet to get juice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login