Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

first bench tests simple Z endstop

Posted by JustSumGuy 
first bench tests simple Z endstop
November 22, 2017 12:01PM
I have just started my Duet wifi up and I am bench testing it before I install it into my HEVO build.
All I have worked with so far is marlin on ramps type setups.

I had no issues setting up and connecting to wifi so all that works A1 and I am operating from network control now.

All that is plugged in is one endstop on Z and two stepper motors as per the picture here:
[duet3d.com]

I generated a config.zip from the online configuration tool:
[configurator.reprapfirmware.org]
All I changed from the default setup was Z steps per mm from 4000 to 200 and the Z end stop. I tried both "Active high" and "Active low"

I am using an optic end stop, its supposed to work for both 3.3 and 5v but its a cheap Chinese one so that might be the issue but I don't think so.
when I test the end stop the led's on the duet indicate a state change so I believe it is working.

This is firmware is 1.19 as shipped. It accepted the config.zip no problem.

PROBLEM

When I activate z home I expect the motors to run until I trigger the end stop manually.
What they do is run for about 1/4 turn and stop and I get this msg "G28 Z Error: Insufficient axes homed for bed probing"

I am going to guess that its looking for a bed probe but I don't see a way to disable this and use simple endstop.

I do plan to use bed probe later on, but I want to work up to that as one of the last things on my todo list.

Thanx

P.S. When I use the online RRF config tool and I try to use existing configuration and upload my existing config.zip I get an error:
Error: The specified file could not be read!

why is that happening?

Is that webpage controlled by DC42?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 12:05PM by JustSumGuy.
Re: first bench tests simple Z endstop
November 22, 2017 01:07PM
JustSumGuy
I have just started my Duet wifi up and I am bench testing it before I install it into my HEVO build.
All I have worked with so far is marlin on ramps type setups.

I had no issues setting up and connecting to wifi so all that works A1 and I am operating from network control now.

All that is plugged in is one endstop on Z and two stepper motors as per the picture here:
[duet3d.com]

I generated a config.zip from the online configuration tool:
[configurator.reprapfirmware.org]
All I changed from the default setup was Z steps per mm from 4000 to 200 and the Z end stop. I tried both "Active high" and "Active low"

I am using an optic end stop, its supposed to work for both 3.3 and 5v but its a cheap Chinese one so that might be the issue but I don't think so.
when I test the end stop the led's on the duet indicate a state change so I believe it is working.

Unfortunately the original RepRap design for optical endstops that is supposed to work at both 5V and 3.3V is actually marginal at 5V and often doesn't work at all at 3.3V. Sadly there are plenty of optical endstops for sale based on this flawed design. Even though the endstop LEDs on the Duet are lighting up, if the endstop sinks insufficient current then the LEDs may light up at reduced brightness but the processor may not register that the endstop is triggered.

So test the endstops. The easiest way is to go the Settings->Machine Properties in the web interface, and monitor the endstop states displayed on that page as you push the carriage to the endstop. Alternatively, you can send M119 to read the current state of the endstops. If the displayed state doesn't change when it should, see [duet3d.com] for how to modify them for reliable operation on 3.3V.

JustSumGuy
When I activate z home I expect the motors to run until I trigger the end stop manually.
What they do is run for about 1/4 turn and stop and I get this msg "G28 Z Error: Insufficient axes homed for bed probing"
I am going to guess that its looking for a bed probe but I don't see a way to disable this and use simple endstop.

See #1 at [duet3d.com].

JustSumGuy
P.S. When I use the online RRF config tool and I try to use existing configuration and upload my existing config.zip I get an error:
Error: The specified file could not be read!

why is that happening?

To use an existing configuration, you need to have saved a .json file last time you ran the configurator. This is a separate option from generating the .zip file.

JustSumGuy
Is that webpage controlled by DC42?

The configuration tool is maintained by chrishamm, but I am the one who specifies most of the changes made to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 01:08PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 22, 2017 01:43PM
Thanx for the details DC42, next time I get the chance to play around I should be able to get past this now.

Regarding the config tool, have you guys thought of creating an option to create a logon for each user to store current config? Rather than the user uploading their config if they remembered to create the json file that is smiling smiley

From the end user POV the browser would remember the logon info and clicking "use existing config" would become a much simpler thing to work with. Optionally the ability to have two or three previous revisions so tests could be worked with and even a simple compare revision screen would assist with debugging changes for the end user.

Should not require much space to maintain the database either....

Just ideas smiling smiley
November 22, 2017 04:43PM
Ran home at lunch to try it smiling smiley

worked much more as expected!

The end stop test showed it was working well.

TQVM

One more thing to ask tho, I am getting these Ajax disconnection errors all the time....
Once they start I cant seem to properly control the Duet unless I reset it, then its OK for a while.....

Thanx again!
November 22, 2017 05:17PM
Regarding the disconnections, please see [duet3d.com] first. If after that you have good RSSI but you still have excessive disconnections and you want to provide feedback to help resolve it, see [www.duet3d.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 23, 2017 12:06PM
yup it was weak signal @ -84db

I setup a new AP in my shop and connected there and now at -32db no more disconnections.

I wish the wifi on these had an external antennae connection......

I found I could remove the module and put on a different one so I could use an external antennae but that's more work that putting in another AP smiling smiley

thanx again!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2017 12:08PM by JustSumGuy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login