Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repair a Duet 0.85 a "little bit" hot ?

Posted by Crixos 
Repair a Duet 0.85 a "little bit" hot ?
December 01, 2017 12:13PM
Hello everyone !

After what I think is a wrong manipulation from me, the Atmel chip on my Duet 0.85 started to heat up alot (i litteraly printed my fingerprint on it when I touched it...).
What bothered me is that the touchscreen still works fine and that i still can connect on the ethernet, by the way, everything I send (like a g28) doesn't work...

Does anyone know if there is some components that i can check and maybe replace to make it works again ?

Thanks everyone !
Re: Repair a Duet 0.85 a "little bit" hot ?
December 01, 2017 06:03PM
If the Atmel processor heats up with nothing else connected to the Duet, that usually means the processor is damaged. Often component L7 is damaged too. The usual cause is a short between the thermistor VSSA connection and a wire carrying +12V or +24V.

If you are in the USA, you may wish to PM user W3DRK on the Duet3D.com forum because he can repair Duets.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 02, 2017 09:50AM
Hello !

thanks for your quick answer, seems it's lost for it (i'm from Belgium).
December 02, 2017 10:06AM
If you want to try replacing it yourself, there are videos on youtube about how to desolder large chips using ChipQuik and similar very low melting point solders.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 18, 2017 03:59PM
Hello, sorry for the late answer

I will check and try (I found this little chip for 10 eu. so why not) !

Anyway thank you for the follow and the answers !
December 19, 2017 09:06AM
The main thing to be careful of is that in removing the old MCU, you do not lift any of the PCB traces. I suggest you buy a cheap vacuum pickup tool on eBay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login