Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet Ethernet Connection

Posted by jbolt 
Duet Ethernet Connection
December 03, 2017 07:15PM
When I first powered up the Duet Ethernet it would not connect to the web control with the board powered by the 24z power supply. It would only connect under USB power. After that it connects fine with just the Ethernet cable attached and under 24v power (no UScool smiley. Today I had to reset the router and again the board would not connect to the web control. I had to power off the board and attach the USB cable to get the board to connect to the web control. Now it connects fine without the USB and under 24v power. Bug or??
Re: Duet Ethernet Connection
December 04, 2017 03:03AM
My best guess is that it sometimes fails to get an IP address from the router after power up. I have seen that happen just once. Powering the Duet down and up again fixed it. I could probably have reconnected by sending M552 S0 followed by M552 S1 from PanelDue instead.

Have you tried assigning it a static IP address using the M552 command in config.g?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 04, 2017 06:41PM
The IP address is there it just won't connect unless under USB power only. Even after resets my router has been assigning the same IP address.

I'm not using the PanelDue. I will take a look at M552
December 05, 2017 03:06AM
So you haven't tried assigning it a static IP address in the M552 command?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 05, 2017 11:51AM
you may be seeing the IP table on your router that is left over from the last time the IP was polled from the DHCP component of the router.
It does not mean the router actually assigned the address on the controllers last boot.

If you cannot ping this address when the controller is powered up, the controller did not receive its address on the last boot.
The address will not change as the DHCP assigned the IP to the controller and until that lease expires, typically 48hrs later it will always hand out that address to that device.

Try to ping the address when you cannot get a web connection, if you cant ping it, the DUET has no IP.
December 06, 2017 08:29PM
No I have not set a static IP. When the board won't connect I can query the IP address in Simplify3D via USB with M552 and it will show the router assigned IP but will not connect until I remove the 24vdc power. I am also using the recommended USB isolator for ground loops. I prefer not to have the USB hooked up at all since it applies power to the board when the main power is off.

If I set a static IP in the firmware do I need to reserve that IP in my router?
December 07, 2017 01:23AM
jbolt
No I have not set a static IP. When the board won't connect I can query the IP address in Simplify3D via USB with M552 and it will show the router assigned IP but will not connect until I remove the 24vdc power. I am also using the recommended USB isolator for ground loops. I prefer not to have the USB hooked up at all since it applies power to the board when the main power is off.

If I set a static IP in the firmware do I need to reserve that IP in my router?

you have a choice, you can either reserve the address OR you can select an address outside the DHCP assigned address range but still in the subnet.
Like so:

DHCP range: 192.168.0.100 thru 192.168.0.200 use static address 192.168.0.50 all based on the subnet 255.255.255.0

In this example you have 254 possible addresses that will communicate with each other but the DHCP will only hand out 100 of them between x.x.x.100 and x.x.x.200
so x.x.x.50 will never be handed out and still can communicate with everything in the subnet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 01:24AM by JustSumGuy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login