Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

G31 probe offset confusion

Posted by o_lampe 
G31 probe offset confusion
January 03, 2018 04:01AM
Sorry to ask it here, but I couldn't find any info about X/Y-offfset of a proximate sensor on a Delta in the DuetWiki.
I figured out, I can use G31 to set X,Y and Z offset between nozzle and sensor.
I generated the bed.g with the same offsets I use in G31. Now it probes (G32 ) without crossing the outer limits.

The X&Y parameters seems to be "distance from nozzle to probe", but Z seems to be " distance from probe to nozzle".
In my case, the probe is 35mm to the right ( X35 ) and 10mm to the front ( Y-10 ). It is also 5.1mm below the nozzle, but here I have to use Z5.1 instead of Z-5.1?![

IDK if using G29 cares about the X/Y offset. It seems it does the same routine with or without the offset.

Should I use XY offset for a Delta at all? It seems, the effector is lower the more I move it towards the Y-tower. That seems to be related, since the probe is mounted between the Y-rods.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 04:27AM by o_lampe.
Re: G31 probe offset confusion
January 03, 2018 05:17AM
o_lampe
The X&Y parameters seems to be "distance from nozzle to probe", but Z seems to be " distance from probe to nozzle".
In my case, the probe is 35mm to the right ( X35 ) and 10mm to the front ( Y-10 ). It is also 5.1mm below the nozzle, but here I have to use Z5.1 instead of Z-5.1?!

That's right. The G31 Z parameter is trigger height. The X and Y offset parameters were added later, and were defined as distance from the head reference point to the probe, just like tool offsets are.

o_lampe
IDK if using G29 cares about the X/Y offset. It seems it does the same routine with or without the offset.

Defining the XY offset correctly will ensure that it doesn't try to probe off the edge of the bed.

o_lampe
Should I use XY offset for a Delta at all? It seems, the effector is lower the more I move it towards the Y-tower. That seems to be related, since the probe is mounted between the Y-rods.

It sounds to me that you have effector tilt that varies with Y position. See [duet3d.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 05:17AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: G31 probe offset confusion
January 03, 2018 11:56AM

o_lampe
In my case, the probe is 35mm to the right ( X35 ) and 10mm to the front ( Y-10 ). It is also 5.1mm below the nozzle, but here I have to use Z5.1 instead of Z-5.1?!

That's right. The G31 Z parameter is trigger height. The X and Y offset parameters were added later, and were defined as distance from the head reference point to the probe, just like tool offsets are.

What I wanted to point out is the fact, that the z-heigth has a different sign.
It is Z5.1 instead of Z-5.1 ( although it is 5.1mm lower than the nozzle )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login