Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bed dimension calibration.

Posted by JustSumGuy 
bed dimension calibration.
February 26, 2018 11:32AM
I have a smaller bed than my printer is capable of working with.
My printer I am setting up with Duet is a Core X/Y 300x300 Hyper Cube Evolution. My bed is 220x by 275y
This is my first experience with Duet, I don't get a lot of time to focus on it so i have had the Duet communicating and testing for months now.
I have yet to print with it tho smiling smiley
Its also my first setup with a Z-Probe, by current printer is marlin, manual mesh so I am doing a bit of learning here.

So I have my x/y working my endstops my z is working and my Z probe is working.

Time to configure the bed so that the head and probe are working where they are supposed to be.

Now onto my question, is it preferred to set the offsets in firmware so that the movement is limited to the bed size or have the moment larger than the bed and set bed dimensions and offsets exclusively in the slicer.

I am thinking the bed setup should be in the firmware to allow proper mesh probing...

Thought I should ask so I don't go down the wrong road from the get go...

I have used the RRF tool to get started, I don't quite get how it sets the head movement in relation to the bed placement or z-probe offset....
Any pointers plz smiling smiley
Re: bed dimension calibration.
February 26, 2018 12:06PM
The M208 S0 and M208 S1 commands define both where the firmware thinks it is when the printer is homed, and the movement limits that are enforced after homing. On one of my printers, the head is 15mm off the low X end of the bed when the low end X homing switch triggers. So I have X-15 in my M208 S1 command, which put X=0 at the edge of the bed after homing X. The bed is 205mm wide, so I have X205 in the M208 S0 command, putting the upper X movement limit at the right hand edge of the bed.

The mesh probing limits are set separately using M557, although any probe points that the firmware thinks are not reachable because of the M208 limits will be omitted.

Btw you will get a faster response to support questions on the forum at duert3d.com.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: bed dimension calibration.
February 26, 2018 02:39PM
Thanx DC42, I will take a look over there smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login