Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet 2 Maestro launched

Posted by dc42 
Duet 2 Maestro launched
April 24, 2018 04:48PM
The new Duet 2 Maestro electronics for 3D printers has been launched at [fitforlaunch.com]. This 3D printer control board is a joint venture between Duet3D and M3D. We (Duet3D) designed the Duet 2 Maestro to meet M3D's requirements, and they are managing production. This is a board that maintains the high standards and functionality of the generation 2 Duet electronics, while omitting some of the features that increase cost and are not needed in many 3D printers, such as high-current stepper drivers and high expandability.

There is a comparison of the Duet 2 Maestro and the other generation 2 Duets at [duet3d.dozuki.com].

Like the other Duets, the Maestro will be fully open sourced when it is in full production. Builds of RepRapFirmware for the Duet 2 Maestro are already available at [github.com] for the stable release and [github.com] for the development RTOS release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2018 04:49PM by dc42.

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
Re: Duet 2 Maestro launched
April 25, 2018 03:35AM
thumbs up
Real 1.6A stepper drivers are good enough for most users.
Will we see any perfomance issues on a Delta from a MPU without hardware FPU?
A local 12864 LCD is nice to have, when the main control panel is still DWC. Does the LCD-support include encoder, like the smart-LCD?
April 25, 2018 01:48PM
The performance will be just fine on a delta. The time-critical square root calculations are done in integer maths. The first several versions of RRF for the Duet WiFi didn't enable the floating point unit, and they ran deltas very well.

The 12864 support includes a rotary encoder/push button, and the two 10-way ribbon cable sockets are compatible with RepRapDiscount and similar display/encoder combos.

We've yet to quantify whether 1.6A peak motor current will be achievable in practice. It would certainly need a fan cooling the board. I expect to do this testing next week when pre-production boards are available.

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
April 26, 2018 03:08AM
I volunteer for a pre-production board grinning smiley
In fact, I could use two:
One for my pre-production Compact Carrier/Delrin ball Delta ( 1.7A, 1.8° steppers )
One to replace the RADDS board with TMC2100 on my CoreXY.

But I don't want to push you...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2018 03:12AM by o_lampe.
April 29, 2018 03:23PM
Interesting development, any idea of price difference? though I think I'd need the higher amp orig version more.
April 30, 2018 01:52AM
The Duet 2 Maestro is available to pre-order from M3D's web site at prices starting at US$99, see link in first post. I received two pre-production boards last week for running extended tests. One of them is running well in my Ormerod printer, using a 2.0beta RTOS build of RepRapFirmware.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2018 01:58AM by dc42.

May 01, 2018 12:09PM
What's "CERN OSH License v1.2"? Can't find any references. The only CERN I can find is OHL

I'll add this board to my comparison tool in the mean time. Thanks for sharing!

Proud owner and maker of build from scratch FDM 3D printer [forums.reprap.org]
Interactive 3D Printer Mainboards comparison [3dpc.rosstekcy.com]
May 01, 2018 01:15PM
I think it means CERN OHL.

May 21, 2018 03:11PM
Can you use the maestro board with no endstop ? (using the stall detection like prusa do ?)

I'm quite interested in this board ! I find the price/performance very good ! ( and about duet Wifi same question ? I really want to get rid of those endstops)
May 21, 2018 06:08PM
The stepper drivers used in the Maestro do not support stall detection, so you still need endstops. OTOH sensorless homing is over-rated (it's not very accurate, so if you re-home in the middle of a print then the position could easily be +/- 1 full step different), and the TMC2224 drivers on the Maestro have some advantages over the TMC2130, e.g. stealthchop2 support and a little more current capability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2018 06:08PM by dc42.

May 22, 2018 02:43AM
Ok ! thank you for the answer !
June 07, 2018 09:49PM
hows the release date of these coming along?
June 08, 2018 11:01AM
There was an update in late May at [fitforlaunch.com]. Production is being handled by M3D so I don't have a detailed timescale right now. I'll see what I can find out.

June 09, 2018 02:37AM
fitforlaunch_page
BETA TESTERS WANTED

As Duet3D and M3D are testing the boards on their own, we also have some early demo units to send to beta testers and reviewers, as well as 3D printing influencers who have experience with evaluation of technical products.

Asking explicitly for influencers leaves a foul taste ....
Although they are asked for their "true" opinion, they are more like "cheerleaders". One bad review and they never get invited again....
June 09, 2018 03:33AM
o_lampe
fitforlaunch_page
BETA TESTERS WANTED

As Duet3D and M3D are testing the boards on their own, we also have some early demo units to send to beta testers and reviewers, as well as 3D printing influencers who have experience with evaluation of technical products.

Asking explicitly for influencers leaves a foul taste ....
Although they are asked for their "true" opinion, they are more like "cheerleaders". One bad review and they never get invited again....

I agree with you. We've asked M3D to make it clear that they posted the update, not any of us at Duet3D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 12:33PM by dc42.

June 13, 2018 03:31PM
Excited about this as the Duet WiFi always seemed like a very expensive update to my Duet 0.6! Buy this seems more reasonable.

Will the price increase after the "Kickstarter" like campaign has ended?

I'm gonna have to wait until there are some EU boards in stock as shipping form the states will kill the price.

Also are there any plans for a sub-populated version with 3 or 4 stepper drivers for example like smoothie did further reducing the cost?

Keep up the good work!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 05:42PM by veryevil.
June 14, 2018 01:26AM
No plans for a version with fewer stepper drivers populated. I don't expect the $129 price for the retail pack including the connector kit to increase, and I hope it will eventually reduce as production ramps up and when the current shortage of some electronic components ends.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login