Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet 2 Maestro launched

Posted by dc42 
Re: Duet 2 Maestro launched
August 20, 2018 08:59AM
Now that preorder sales ended, is there any ETA for Maestro availability in Europe?
August 20, 2018 09:39AM
Not yet.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 31, 2018 02:46AM
FYI:
The Maestro has arrived in EU.
November 29, 2018 05:46PM
xrodney
Part of lost torque can be gain by switching from 12V to 24V, but that means I need to change few things.

Any recommendation for good 24V power supply (if possible silent)? I guess 480W or so should be sufficient for everything including 200-280W heated bed and 1-2 30-40W hotends?

As for fans, any chance to run them on 12V? Description on Maestro page is a bit vague in this case mentioning 5V or VIN (24V) but also mention other voltages can be used but I am not sure how?

Much more easy solution ( If your printer worked fine in 12V) to change controller and stepper to 24V. Use a second PSU for the controller (and the connected steppers) only. 140W should be more than enough (but correct me, If I am wrong). So you only add a small extra PSU. "-" (GND) output of both PSU have to be connected, so 12V and 24V are measure to the same ground potential. On this connection you may have high currents, so you should use a thick short wire.

All MosFET in the Duet are n-chanel (as I know. Never seen something else on any 3d controller board. But check!). This means: All MosFET switch ground, not Vcc!

So it is very easy to use a hybrid 12v/24v system. On the heatbed connector you put only one wire of the heatbed. It hast to be connected to "-" (never ever to Vcc!!! Double check, Triple check, sleep a nicht, Check again!). The other wire from the heatbed goes to 12V out of the old PSU.

So the flow of electrons now is: ground from old PSU(12v) to ground of extra PSU(24v) to ground-input of the Duet, to the MosFET in the Duet to the "-" in the heatbed terminal to the heatbed, through the heatbed, to the 12V conector at the 12v PSU.

Same for heater cadrige and 12v fans.

As the Duet can handle the currents for an 24v 300*300 easaly, a 12v 210*210 heatbed (half the size=half the wattage but half the voltage means same current) is also conectable without problem.
Only If you have a 12v 300*300 bed, I would use an external Mosfet, as currents are realy high. But you shouldnt use such a size on 12v anyways, as the take an eternaty to get hot (and mostly never to temperatures you need for ABS or even for PetG).

For 5V fans you may use a 12v to 5v step-down-converter in the old 12v PSU. Same principle as before: +wire of fan directly to +5v of the step-down-converter, -wire of the fan to -fan-out on the Duet.

Of course a full 24v system may be more easy to install. But also much more expensive, as they hybrid solution would cost you only 15-20$.

For example: my p3steel uses the original Prusa MK2.5 Upgrade (yes, magnetic bed and that nice PEI-Powder Coated spring steel sheet!) Also 5v Noctua fan. Changing to 24v means 100€ for new heatbed (original, 60€ for a less quality Clone, two new noctua fans, each 15€ - and of course much bigger and more expensive PSU (25-30€more). Altogether 100-140€ more for a complete 24v system (may be a very special Case - but in diy printers all cases are Special...)

Maybe this thoughts help making the decision. You only have to be carefull, but not have to change everything to use controller/steppers in 24v in an 12v printer.
November 30, 2018 02:09AM

For 5V fans you may use a 12v to 5v step-down-converter in the old 12v PSU. Same principle as before: +wire of fan directly to +5v of the step-down-converter, -wire of the fan to -fan-out on the Duet.

No need, because the Maestro supports 5V fans. But be very careful to keep the 5V fan wiring separate from higher voltage wiring (hot end heaters etc.) because a short between +24V and +5V will wreck the Duet.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login