Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet warranty issue.

Posted by charlieRC 
Duet warranty issue.
November 22, 2018 06:16PM
I bought a Duet WiFi v1.04. One of the things I really liked was the blade fuses and the fact that they got rid of the erase button. After three days, the card just died. I hadn’t even got it set up fully yet. I followed the instruction on the Duet web site, contacted my reseller, filled the forms the required, and sent the board off to the address they gave me. I week later I was happy to get the board back so soon, until I opened the box. They did not send back a v1.04, but rather a refurbished v1.02.

I could live with the refurbished part, but I didn’t buy a v1.02. I boaght a v1.04 which had the features I wanted. I feel like I am being punished for the failure of their product. If the failure could be attributed to some error on my part, I might understand it. Fact is, I wasn’t even using it when it failed. It was powered up on the work bench ( initial burn in) while I was going through their docs in preparation for the next step in the setup process when I heard a pop from the board and got an error on the screen.

It was great that they turned this around in a week, but it sucks that I now have a lessor board than I purchased.

Beware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2018 06:17PM by charlieRC.
Re: Duet warranty issue.
November 23, 2018 02:36AM
Please take this up with your reseller. Our standard policy is that where there is no indication that the user has done anything wrong, and the board fails within a short time, we replace it with a brand new board. We sometimes offer a refurbished board when the failure was most likely due to user error, or the board is technically out of warranty, but in these cases we make sure that the refurbished board is the same or a later revision than the original.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 23, 2018 11:41AM
dc42
Please take this up with your reseller. Our standard policy is that where there is no indication that the user has done anything wrong, and the board fails within a short time, we replace it with a brand new board. We sometimes offer a refurbished board when the failure was most likely due to user error, or the board is technically out of warranty, but in these cases we make sure that the refurbished board is the same or a later revision than the original.

I did take this up with my reseller and he said he has sent off a message to Duet folks, but that your practice is to send out a v1.02 board because they don't have v1.04 boards to send out.
You say "we make sure that the refurbished board is the same or a later revision than the original", but that is not what you did. You sent out a v1.02 board to replace a defective v1.04 board. This was definately not "due to user error" unless the board being plugged into power and working (sending g codes to move the motors for calibration) for a few minutes and then after resting, power still attached, for about 10 minutes while I looked up some stuff on your docs, can cause it to give of an audible "pop" that sounds like a SMD capacitor pop, and then it wouldn't read the SD card any more. .

If you know of something I did wrong, tell me what it is. I don't think you can because the board was obviously defective. Obviously you found something wrong with the board, or you would have said otherwise.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but I never seem to have this kinds of problems with suppliers i have used in this field, so I am a bit surprised at how this turned out. I think my reseller is just as bothered by this as I am and I believe he told you so in an email.

Charlie
November 23, 2018 02:07PM
I've sent you a PM so that we can progress this towards a resolution.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

November 23, 2018 04:38PM
I hope I didn't flood you with PMs. I kept sending and when I would go back in, I wouldn't see it so I posted, I think three times. I still don't see it but I will hope you do. If not, I can post here, but I assume you didn't want me to do that.
November 23, 2018 09:23PM
I wonder if it had something to do with you frying the SD card on your raspberry pi. Coincidence?
November 24, 2018 03:45AM
charlieRC
I hope I didn't flood you with PMs. I kept sending and when I would go back in, I wouldn't see it so I posted, I think three times. I still don't see it but I will hope you do. If not, I can post here, but I assume you didn't want me to do that.

Thanks, I received all 4 and I have sent you 2 replies.

I'd rather you didn't post the details here because if Duet3D made a mistake, then it would be unfair to mention the reseller that you purchased from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2018 03:47AM by dc42.

November 26, 2018 08:54AM
Number_5: The SD card was never used with the Pi. Actually, the Duet SD cad was not even in the same building with the bad RP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2018 08:55AM by charlieRC.
December 06, 2018 04:06PM
Addendum:

The folks at Duet came through for me. I recieved a replacement v1.04 board today. It took a while, partually because of some miss communication between me, Duet and my vendor. Once that got ironed out, they sent the new board. Unfortunately, it sat in customs hear in the US for a couple weeks before making it to me.

I had a several people following this whole process and I want to assure them that I feel much better about Duet and their warranty. I haven't actually fired up the replacement board yet, but I will post here when I do.

Thank you Duet for standing up for your product and thank you to those that expressed concern in this whole process!!!

Thanks
Charlie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login