Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quirks of rc5

Posted by Brummie 
Quirks of rc5
December 07, 2018 01:30AM
Hello,

tonight a print failed. When I woke up, the printer sounded strange and when I looked at the result, it was even more strange:

Seems like from certain layer on all distanced where reduced to 10% - its quite exactly: the rotten print cube is 12mm wide and the whole print should be 120mm wide.

After resetting the printer, all steppers work fine, so its no hardware failure.
Heating should be no problem too. I attached coolers to each stepper driver and a fan blows above and below the Duet3D.

On attaching the browser to the Duet I realized another quirk:
Failing to enter the right password keeps the gray shield stay on the browser. The password-retry adds another gray shield, although the first one has not been removed and on entering the right password, only the second shield will be removed.

I'll try to step back to rc4 and hope, that will fullfill the printjob.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 01:31AM by Brummie.
Re: Quirks of rc5
December 08, 2018 10:30PM
Hello,

rc4 failed the same way, just earlier:

So I went back to rc3, which did the job:

by the way: all printjobs worked out the same gcode-file.
December 09, 2018 02:58AM
Wondering, if it's related to microstepping. Like the drivers suddenly run on halfsteps instead of 16x?
Can only be an SPI-hiccup: changing all the drivers config at once

Q: Is the extruder running in scale_down mode, too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2018 03:03AM by o_lampe.
December 09, 2018 04:40AM

Is the extruder running in scale_down mode, too?
That may be true. Didn't do much investigations. Busy to stop printing.
Only can say, that the motors sounded strange - so I looked at the printer ...

Like the drivers suddenly run on halfsteps instead of 16x?
Isn't the opposite true?
If the whole distance was calculated to 1000 steps and if using 16x microstepping would result in 10mm, than 2x microstepping should be about 80mm - right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2018 04:42AM by Brummie.
December 09, 2018 11:02AM
Brummie
Isn't the opposite true?
If the whole distance was calculated to 1000 steps and if using 16x microstepping would result in 10mm, than 2x microstepping should be about 80mm - right?

For the print to switch to 1/8 normal size, either the firmware would have to think it was using x2 microstepping but the drivers were still set to x16, or the firmware would have to think it was using x16 but the drivers were using x128. Or any similar combination (firmware assuming 1/8 of what the drivers are set to).

Is microstepping on your printer set to x16?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 10, 2018 12:15AM
I don't know the microstepping settings, as I didn't change them.
I calibrated the axis by measuring the distance and then recalculate the steps based on the existing step settings from M92
Currently x and y are set to 80 steps per mm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login