Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I configure Smoothieboard to work on a Delta Printer for Laser cutting and CNC milling?

Posted by charleslow 
How do I configure Smoothieboard to work on a Delta Printer for Laser cutting and CNC milling?

I've looked around and found configuring Smoothieboard for the Delta printer for 3d printing, but no such luck in configuring a Delta for Laser or CNC.
The big attraction for me is are the branches for Smoothieboard to handle laser cutting and CNC work, but these seem to target Cartesian printers without any mention on how to configure for a Delta that I could find.

The reason for using a Delta is because I bet the speed increase and bed size could be substantially better than a Cartesian. Faster lasering and drilling PC boards.
Haven't yet purchased the Smoothieboard. Waiting to sort this out, which I am sure will be very easy once I am pointed in the right direction.

I'm sure this info is out there, but the website search and Google didn't find it for me.

Thank you very much for the help!
VDX
Re: How do I configure Smoothieboard to work on a Delta Printer for Laser cutting and CNC milling?
July 12, 2017 04:48AM
... for CNC-milling with a Delta you'll need much higher stiffness in the frame, rods and hinges -- the Delta concept was developed for wood-milling, but then the mechanics were much stiffer and heavier than with a comparable cartesian machine!

If using for laser-engraving/cutting, then the only change in configuration could be the "step-rate" for the extruder motor, when you use it to pulse the laser, and an I/O-pin for "laser-ON/OFF" ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Thank you Victor for your help and advice.

Yes, the delta isn't ideal for CNC milling but the system I'm setting up should be fine for PC board milling and drilling, and lasering should be pretty quick.

Let's take the laser for example. How does the smoothieware for laser cutting know I'm using a Delta and not a Cartesian? Is the laser smoothieware able to go seamlessly between the two, and has anyone done this?

Thank again!
I think I got an idea where to go from here.

Thank you for your help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login