Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connecting external stepper drivers to Smoothieboard

Connecting external stepper drivers to Smoothieboard
June 07, 2016 01:28PM
I am using a 4A NEMA-23 motor in my printer's Y axis. That's too much current for the Smoothieboard to drive directly, so I got a cheap DSP based driver module and made a 32V power supply to drive that motor. Here's how I connected it:

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Connecting external stepper drivers to Smoothieboard
June 12, 2016 12:54PM
Thanks a lot for adding info to the forum like this smiling smiley

If somebody is interrested in wiring external drivers, there is additional information here : [smoothieware.org]
July 17, 2016 03:03AM
Your smoothie is running 3.3v logic the driver most likely needs 5 so you need a logic gate or set the pins to ground and connect a 5v PSU to the PUL+ DIR+ and STEP+ i had the same problem with the radds on due which is also a 3.3v logic. I solved that problem using logic level shifters hope this helps.
July 17, 2016 03:10AM
yoyobob19
Your smoothie is running 3.3v logic the driver most likely needs 5 so you need a logic gate or set the pins to ground and connect a 5v PSU to the PUL+ DIR+ and STEP+ i had the same problem with the radds on due which is also a 3.3v logic. I solved that problem using logic level shifters hope this helps.

On a Smoothieboard, you don't need to use level shifters. You just need to configure the pins as open-drain and they'll work as if they were 5V. You can see a wiring diagram and configuration in the link I posted previously.
February 02, 2017 02:59PM
My experience was as follows. I bought an external driver that required 5v input. So I set it up as Mr. Wolf described. The external driver worked fine, but the internal driver did not function. So if you are trying to run two motors from one Smoothie driver, it must be 3.3 volts if you intend to use the internal driver for the second motor. Instead I exchanged my external driver for one with enough amperage to run both motors and now I don't need the internal driver.
January 25, 2018 08:05AM
Please, can you explain this?

I have the same problem. I Want to drive RADDS with 2M542 but it doesn't run. The motor don't move.

Can do you explain a little more what do you refer with this?: I solved that problem using logic level shifters

Thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login