Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smoothie ware documentation

Posted by vhoward1122 
Smoothie ware documentation
July 01, 2017 02:02PM
I have been reading a lot on smoothieware and have changed a few settings in the config file. In the documentation on the smoothie wiki, when going through the 3d printer section and come to a link to a cartesian section, that section is blank. Is the config file already optimized for the standard cartesian style printer?

Also, the first few sections of the config file is a little confusing.

# NOTE Lines must not exceed 132 characters
## Robot module configurations : general handling of movement G-codes and slicing into moves
default_feed_rate 4000 # Default rate ( mm/minute ) for G1/G2/G3 moves
default_seek_rate 4000 # Default rate ( mm/minute ) for G0 moves
mm_per_arc_segment 0.5 # Arcs are cut into segments ( lines ), this is the length for
# these segments. Smaller values mean more resolution,
# higher values mean faster computation
#mm_per_line_segment 5 # Lines can be cut into segments ( not usefull with cartesian
# coordinates robots ).

# Arm solution configuration : Cartesian robot. Translates mm positions into stepper positions
alpha_steps_per_mm 160 # Steps per mm for alpha stepper
beta_steps_per_mm 160 # Steps per mm for beta stepper
gamma_steps_per_mm 798 # Steps per mm for gamma stepper

# Planner module configuration : Look-ahead and acceleration configuration
planner_queue_size 32 # DO NOT CHANGE THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING
acceleration 3000 # Acceleration in mm/second/second.
#z_acceleration 500 # Acceleration for Z only moves in mm/s^2, 0 uses acceleration which is the default. DO NOT SET ON A DELTA
acceleration_ticks_per_second 1000 # Number of times per second the speed is updated
junction_deviation 0.05 # Similar to the old "max_jerk", in millimeters,
# see [github.com]
# and [github.com]
# Lower values mean being more careful, higher values means being
# faster and have more jerk
#z_junction_deviation 0.4 # for Z only moves, -1 uses junction_deviation, zero disables junction_deviation on z moves DO NOT SET ON A DELTA
#minimum_planner_speed 0.0 # sets the minimum planner speed in mm/sec

# Stepper module configuration
microseconds_per_step_pulse 1 # Duration of step pulses to stepper drivers, in microseconds
base_stepping_frequency 100000 # Base frequency for stepping

Are those settings OK for a Folgertech FT-5? Those I don't understand. the rest of the config file I have figured out. I know the steps per mm. I am not famialiar with what G0, G1, G2, or G3 moves are. What is base frequency stepping?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 02:05PM by vhoward1122.
Re: Smoothie ware documentation
July 01, 2017 03:07PM
See: [smoothieware.org]

arm_solution cartesian Sets the arm solution for this machine. The arm solution converts position in millimetres into actuator positions ( usually in steps ). On cartesian machines those are proportional to each other, but for example on a linear delta machine, some fancy math is required for the conversion. Possible values : cartesian, corexy, linear_delta, rotatable_cartesian, morgan

It may be a default, but it always a good idea to specify things, so I would add a line to the config file that says:

arm_solution cartesian

Leave the base stepping frequency at 100k. That means it will drive motors with up to 100k steps per sec., depending of the movement speed set in the gcode file that you're printing.

Set the default feed rate and seek rates to reasonable values for your machine's motion system and don't worry about them. They are mostly ignored.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 01, 2017 05:19PM
OK. So machines such as Prussa I3 that have a stepper for each axis is categorized under the cartesian section?
Smoothieware.org is what I have been reading. Just trying to understand terminology. Not quite as easy when my whole experience 3d printing has been with Marlin firmware. That I understand, but a friend insisted I could do better with a smoothie board. And now I can't get a hold of him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 05:20PM by vhoward1122.
July 01, 2017 08:15PM
Yes. Most machines are cartesian, including i3 types.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 01, 2017 09:04PM
Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login