Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Azteeg X5 GT issues

Posted by wednesday 
Azteeg X5 GT issues
July 14, 2019 04:22PM
Hi everyone,

I have admired the smoothie setup for a very long time but haven't switched because every azteeg X3 that I've installed has worked flawlessly. Why change what isn't broken right? That being said my personal X3 board somehow got "bricked" recently and thought what better time to finally make the switch and learn the new. (BTW if anyone can fix the X3 I am more than open to discussion.)

I've trusted and relied on the quality of Panucatt devices on OEM builds for years and decided to give the X5 GT board a go instead of the traditional smoothieboard for this replacement (sorry Arthur). The big problem is that the documentation is rather limited and leave's all setup,troubleshooting,and issue handling to smoothieware.org which does not include or cover this board or it's sibling (X5 mini) at all. Not that they should, but it does leave a big gap in fixing issues specific to the Panucatt board using Smoothie architecture since they are quite different.

The X5 GT wiring diagram matches the X3 fairly well and is pretty straight forward to follow, but when I power up with the X5 there seems to be no signal going to the board or it's individual components. Pronterface says it's connected to the printer and the LED's light up fine but there is no movement or any physical sign of connectivity. For example, I prefer to hard wire my cooling fans to the main supply to be "always on" from power up. They stay idle, and there is no noticeable on or "locking" of the steppers as they can be moved freely by hand without resistance no matter what I do.

There were a lot of dual pin jumpers included with the panucatt board but no real direction as to where they are needed for specific applications. And they are simply not addressed in the existing wiring diagram for this board at all. From past experience I've learned that if the "smoke" wasn't released when the power is turned on then the wiring is probably OK and all other problems are most likely simple to overcome so it's best not to panic.

With this being a new to me firmware type and all I thought it better to direct the issue here first, rather than bothering Roy or Arthur about it. My build is a Prusa inspired/custom cartesian frame with a single extruder and hotbed if that makes a difference.

Admittedly, my strong suite is not the electronics or programming side of these machines, which reinforces my request here for help. I'm still waiting for the type of "plug and play" control box you can get for custom CNC builds to become available for this application, lol.

On a side note; I had subscribed to a smoothie user forum years ago and have always been impressed at the amount of detail and attention they put into their support. Would like to say thanks to Arthur for that. It is why I have wanted to make this switch for so long.

MC, BearCNC

{[www.bearcnc.com]} {[www.facebook.com]}
Re: Azteeg X5 GT issues
July 15, 2019 02:01AM
The jumpers are to set the microstepping underneath each driver (check the chart for the drivers you're using), plus one yellow one that selects 3.3v or 5v for endstops (I use 3.3 so my 3 wire optical stops don't backfeed 5v to the CPU). There is also the JM6 set of pins by E1/E2 that locks the two instep if you should want dual Z or similar with a simple pin number reassignment in config.txt.

All motors should be locked in position as soon as you move (via software) any one motor by any amount, they aren't active until a move is made. If using a single PSU, do you have +/- connected on both the main power input AND the separate motor power input? I just have a small loop from the large screw terminals to the green motor power connectors as the diagram hints at, but if using smaller gauge wire it is best to have two separate lines from the PSU for main and motor inputs.
Both must have power, and it's setup this way so you can optionally use a larger/higher voltage supply to motors only (ONLY if your chosen drivers are rated for such), which is desirable in a CNC application.

I've been running my AX5 GT for a couple years now, if you need anything else, I'd be happy to help (I've already muddled through most of this stuff).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 02:22AM by Diggrr.
July 15, 2019 06:25PM
Thanks Diggrr,

Yes I did forget about putting the jumpers on beneath the drivers, appreciate the reminder. The power inputs are connected as per the wiring diagram with loops from one to the other +/- and the yellow jumper is set to 3.3v from get go. I'm still not getting any signal to the board even though it powers up and will connect to Pronterface. I'm getting these error messages;

[ERROR] Can't read from printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): call to ClearCommError failed
[ERROR] Can't write to printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): WriteFile failed ([Error 22] The device does not recognize the command.)
Setting hotend temperature to 185.000000 degrees Celsius.
[ERROR] Can't write to printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): WriteFile failed ([Error 22] The device does not recognize the command.)
Setting bed temperature to 70.000000 degrees Celsius.
Setting bed temperature to 0.000000 degrees Celsius.
[ERROR] Disconnecting after 4 failed writes.

At this point I'm gonna have to go back over the config file for what I have missed and possibly reformat the SD card. Any other tips are greatly appreciated tho.

MC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 06:26PM by wednesday.

July 16, 2019 02:26AM
I'm using the network add-board for Ethernet, but I'm guessing you're using the USB?
Have you installed the windows driver (if an older version than 10)? You can find on smoothieware.org/usb.
Have you tried another USB cable?, one with the ferrite beads is best (the cylinders on the cable near the ends).
No USB hubs.
You have the Baudrate set the same in Pronterface as you have set in config.txt and also in windows device manager? (look in device manager under com and lpt ports, should be the last device listed, and only shows when connected..right click it).

I failed at two of the above when I had USB.. lol.

If you are on Ethernet, when you type the IP address, you're including the ":23" on the end? xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:23
I forgot that it can see a connection but not communicate if you don't specify port 23 on the end of the IP address.
July 16, 2019 05:49PM
- I have an Ethernet add-on board but am not using it on my setup PC. Will prefer not to most of the time.
- All PC's are running win10 so no need for driver install from what it says.
- Have not tried the USB cable with the ferrite bead. Using high speed cable once used to run CNC.
- Baudrates are synced on all.

* Have reformatted the SD Card and gone over my config file numerous times. If the board comes pre-flashed with the firmware do you still need a copy of it on the SD card??
* Have double checked wires (incl. gauge) and connections.

Overall I still think I am overlooking something completely obvious in the config file or something. There is power but no signal. Am posting my config file below, let me know if you see any obvious "duh/ shouldadunthat's" please.

# Smoothieboard configuration file, see [smoothieware.org]
# NOTE Lines must not exceed 132 characters, and '#' characters mean what follows is ignored
## Robot module configurations : general handling of movement G-codes and slicing into moves

# Basic motion configuration
default_feed_rate 4000 # Default speed (mm/minute) for G1/G2/G3 moves
default_seek_rate 4000 # Default speed (mm/minute) for G0 moves
mm_per_arc_segment 0.0 # Fixed length for line segments that divide arcs, 0 to disable
#mm_per_line_segment 5 # Cut lines into segments this size
mm_max_arc_error 0.01 # The maximum error for line segments that divide arcs 0 to disable
# note it is invalid for both the above be 0
# if both are used, will use largest segment length based on radius

# Arm solution configuration : Cartesian robot. Translates mm positions into stepper positions
# See [smoothieware.org]
alpha_steps_per_mm 158 # Steps per mm for alpha ( X ) stepper
beta_steps_per_mm 158 # Steps per mm for beta ( Y ) stepper
gamma_steps_per_mm 825 # Steps per mm for gamma ( Z ) stepper

# Planner module configuration : Look-ahead and acceleration configuration
# See [smoothieware.org]
acceleration 3000 # Acceleration in mm/second/second.
z_acceleration 0 # Acceleration for Z only moves in mm/s^2, 0 uses acceleration which is the default. DO NOT SET ON A DELTA
junction_deviation 0.05 # See [smoothieware.org]
z_junction_deviation 0.0 # For Z only moves, -1 uses junction_deviation, zero disables junction_deviation on z moves DO NOT SET ON A DELTA

# Cartesian axis speed limits
x_axis_max_speed 30000 # Maximum speed in mm/min
y_axis_max_speed 30000 # Maximum speed in mm/min
z_axis_max_speed 300 # Maximum speed in mm/min

# Stepper module configuration
# Pins are defined as ports, and pin numbers, appending "!" to the number will invert a pin
# See [smoothieware.org] and [smoothieware.org]
alpha_step_pin 2.0 # Pin for alpha stepper step signal
alpha_dir_pin 0.5 # Pin for alpha stepper direction, add '!' to reverse direction
alpha_en_pin 0.4 # Pin for alpha enable pin
alpha_current 1.5 # X stepper motor current
alpha_max_rate 30000.0 # Maximum rate in mm/min

beta_step_pin 2.1 # Pin for beta stepper step signal
beta_dir_pin 0.11 # Pin for beta stepper direction, add '!' to reverse direction
beta_en_pin 0.10 # Pin for beta enable
beta_current 1.5 # Y stepper motor current
beta_max_rate 30000.0 # Maxmimum rate in mm/min

gamma_step_pin 2.2 # Pin for gamma stepper step signal
gamma_dir_pin 0.20 # Pin for gamma stepper direction, add '!' to reverse direction
gamma_en_pin 0.19 # Pin for gamma enable
gamma_current 1.5 # Z stepper motor current
gamma_max_rate 300.0 # Maximum rate in mm/min

## Extruder module configuration
# See [smoothieware.org]
extruder.hotend.enable true # Whether to activate the extruder module at all. All configuration is ignored if false
extruder.hotend.steps_per_mm 169 # Steps per mm for extruder stepper
extruder.hotend.default_feed_rate 600 # Default rate ( mm/minute ) for moves where only the extruder moves
extruder.hotend.acceleration 500 # Acceleration for the stepper motor mm/sec²
extruder.hotend.max_speed 50 # Maximum speed in mm/s

extruder.hotend.step_pin 2.3 # Pin for extruder step signal
extruder.hotend.dir_pin 0.22 # Pin for extruder dir signal ( add '!' to reverse direction )
extruder.hotend.en_pin 0.21 # Pin for extruder enable signal

# Extruder offset
#extruder.hotend.x_offset 18 # X offset from origin in mm
#extruder.hotend.y_offset 18 # Y offset from origin in mm
#extruder.hotend.z_offset 5 # Z offset from origin in mm

# Firmware retract settings when using G10/G11, these are the defaults if not defined, must be defined for each extruder if not using the defaults
extruder.hotend.retract_length 3 # Retract length in mm
extruder.hotend.retract_feedrate 45 # Retract feedrate in mm/sec
extruder.hotend.retract_recover_length 0 # Additional length for recover
extruder.hotend.retract_recover_feedrate 8 # Recover feedrate in mm/sec (should be less than retract feedrate)
extruder.hotend.retract_zlift_length 0 # Z-lift on retract in mm, 0 disables
extruder.hotend.retract_zlift_feedrate 6000 # Z-lift feedrate in mm/min (Note mm/min NOT mm/sec)

delta_current 1.5 # First extruder stepper motor current

# Second extruder module configuration
#extruder.hotend2.enable false # Whether to activate the extruder module at all. All configuration is ignored if false
#extruder.hotend2.steps_per_mm 140 # Steps per mm for extruder stepper
#extruder.hotend2.default_feed_rate 600 # Default rate ( mm/minute ) for moves where only the extruder moves
#extruder.hotend2.acceleration 500 # Acceleration for the stepper motor, as of 0.6, arbitrary ratio
#extruder.hotend2.max_speed 50 # mm/s

#extruder.hotend2.step_pin 2.8 # Pin for extruder step signal
#extruder.hotend2.dir_pin 2.13 # Pin for extruder dir signal ( add '!' to reverse direction )
#extruder.hotend2.en_pin 4.29 # Pin for extruder enable signal

#extruder.hotend2.x_offset 0 # x offset from origin in mm
#extruder.hotend2.y_offset 25.0 # y offset from origin in mm
#extruder.hotend2.z_offset 0 # z offset from origin in mm

#epsilon_current 1.5 # Second extruder stepper motor current

## Laser module configuration
# See [smoothieware.org]
laser_module_enable false # Whether to activate the laser module at all
laser_module_pwm_pin 2.5 # This pin will be PWMed to control the laser.
# Only pins 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 1.18, 1.20, 1.21, 1.23, 1.24, 1.26, 3.25 and 3.26
# can be used since laser requires hardware PWM, see [smoothieware.org]
#laser_module_ttl_pin 1.30 # This pin turns on when the laser turns on, and off when the laser turns off.
#laser_module_maximum_power 1.0 # This is the maximum duty cycle that will be applied to the laser
#laser_module_minimum_power 0.0 # This is a value just below the minimum duty cycle that keeps the laser
# active without actually burning.
#laser_module_default_power 0.8 # This is the default laser power that will be used for cuts if a power has not been specified. The value is a scale between
# the maximum and minimum power levels specified above
#laser_module_pwm_period 20 # This sets the pwm frequency as the period in microseconds

## Temperature control configuration
# See [smoothieware.org]

# First hotend configuration
temperature_control.hotend.enable true # Whether to activate this ( "hotend" ) module at all.
temperature_control.hotend.thermistor_pin 0.23 # Pin for the thermistor to read
temperature_control.hotend.heater_pin 2.7 # Pin that controls the heater, set to nc if a readonly thermistor is being defined
temperature_control.hotend.thermistor EPCOS100K # See [smoothieware.org]
#temperature_control.hotend.beta 4066 # Or set the beta value
temperature_control.hotend.set_m_code 104 # M-code to set the temperature for this module
temperature_control.hotend.set_and_wait_m_code 109 # M-code to set-and-wait for this module
temperature_control.hotend.designator T # Designator letter for this module
#temperature_control.hotend.max_temp 300 # Set maximum temperature - Will prevent heating above 300 by default
#temperature_control.hotend.min_temp 0 # Set minimum temperature - Will prevent heating below if set

# Safety control is enabled by default and can be overidden here, the values show the defaults
# See [smoothieware.org]
#temperature_control.hotend.runaway_heating_timeout 900 # How long it can take to heat up, max is 2040 seconds.
#temperature_control.hotend.runaway_cooling_timeout 0 # How long it can take to cool down if temp is set lower, max is 2040 seconds
#temperature_control.hotend.runaway_range 20 # How far from the set temperature it can wander, max setting is 63°C

# PID configuration
# See [smoothieware.org]
temperature_control.hotend.p_factor 13.7 # P ( proportional ) factor
temperature_control.hotend.i_factor 0.097 # I ( integral ) factor
temperature_control.hotend.d_factor 24 # D ( derivative ) factor

temperature_control.hotend.max_pwm 64 # Max pwm, 64 is a good value if driving a 12v resistor with 24v.

# Second hotend configuration
#temperature_control.hotend2.enable false # Whether to activate this ( "hotend" ) module at all.
#temperature_control.hotend2.thermistor_pin 0.25 # Pin for the thermistor to read
#temperature_control.hotend2.heater_pin 1.23 # Pin that controls the heater
#temperature_control.hotend2.thermistor EPCOS100K # See [smoothieware.org]
##temperature_control.hotend2.beta 4066 # or set the beta value
#temperature_control.hotend2.set_m_code 104 # M-code to set the temperature for this module
#temperature_control.hotend2.set_and_wait_m_code 109 # M-code to set-and-wait for this module
#temperature_control.hotend2.designator T1 # Designator letter for this module

#temperature_control.hotend2.p_factor 13.7 # P ( proportional ) factor
#temperature_control.hotend2.i_factor 0.097 # I ( integral ) factor
#temperature_control.hotend2.d_factor 24 # D ( derivative ) factor

#temperature_control.hotend2.max_pwm 64 # Max pwm, 64 is a good value if driving a 12v resistor with 24v.

temperature_control.bed.enable true # Whether to activate this ( "hotend" ) module at all.
temperature_control.bed.thermistor_pin 0.24 # Pin for the thermistor to read
temperature_control.bed.heater_pin 2.5 # Pin that controls the heater
temperature_control.bed.thermistor Honeywell100K # See [smoothieware.org]
#temperature_control.bed.beta 3974 # Or set the beta value
temperature_control.bed.set_m_code 140 # M-code to set the temperature for this module
temperature_control.bed.set_and_wait_m_code 190 # M-code to set-and-wait for this module
temperature_control.bed.designator B # Designator letter for this module

# Bang-bang ( simplified ) control
# See [smoothieware.org]
#temperature_control.bed.bang_bang false # Set to true to use bang bang control rather than PID
#temperature_control.bed.hysteresis 2.0 # Set to the temperature in degrees C to use as hysteresis

## Switch modules
# See [smoothieware.org]

# Switch module for fan control
switch.fan.enable True # Enable this module
switch.fan.input_on_command M106 # Command that will turn this switch on
switch.fan.input_off_command M107 # Command that will turn this switch off
switch.fan.output_pin 2.6 # Pin this module controls
switch.fan.output_type pwm # PWM output settable with S parameter in the input_on_comand
#switch.fan.max_pwm 255 # Set max pwm for the pin default is 255

#switch.misc.enable True # Enable this module
#switch.misc.input_on_command M42 # Command that will turn this switch on
#switch.misc.input_off_command M43 # Command that will turn this switch off
#switch.misc.output_pin 2.4 # Pin this module controls
#switch.misc.output_type digital # Digital means this is just an on or off pin

#switch.bltouch.enable True #
#switch.bltouch.output_pin 2.4 # sw pwm can use any digital pin
#switch.bltouch.input_on_command M280 #
#switch.bltouch.input_off_command M281 #
#switch.bltouch.output_type swpwm # sw pwm must be low frequency
#switch.bltouch.pwm_period_ms 20 # 50Hz
#switch.bltouch.startup_state false # start up in the stow state
#switch.bltouch.startup_value 7.43 # On boot it will go into stow mode, also set with the M281
#switch.bltouch.default_on_value 3.3 # if M280 is issued without S this is the value it will set it to

## Temperatureswitch
# See [smoothieware.org]
# Automatically toggle a switch at a specified temperature. Different ones of these may be defined to monitor different temperatures and switch different swithxes
# Useful to turn on a fan or water pump to cool the hotend
#temperatureswitch.hotend.enable false #
#temperatureswitch.hotend.designator T # first character of the temperature control designator to use as the temperature sensor to monitor
#temperatureswitch.hotend.switch misc # select which switch to use, matches the name of the defined switch
#temperatureswitch.hotend.threshold_temp 60.0 # temperature to turn on (if rising) or off the switch
#temperatureswitch.hotend.heatup_poll 15 # poll heatup at 15 sec intervals
#temperatureswitch.hotend.cooldown_poll 60 # poll cooldown at 60 sec intervals

## Endstops
# See [smoothieware.org]
endstops_enable true # The endstop module is enabled by default and can be disabled here
#corexy_homing false # Set to true if homing on a hbot or corexy
alpha_min_endstop 1.24^ # Pin to read min endstop, add a ! to invert if endstop is NO connected to ground
alpha_max_endstop 1.25^ # Pin to read max endstop, uncomment this and comment the above if using max endstops
alpha_homing_direction home_to_min # Or set to home_to_max and set alpha_max and uncomment the alpha_max_endstop
alpha_min 0 # This gets loaded as the current position after homing when home_to_min is set
alpha_max 300 # This gets loaded as the current position after homing when home_to_max is set
beta_min_endstop 1.26^ # Pin to read min endstop, add a ! to invert if endstop is NO connected to ground
beta_max_endstop 1.27^ # Pin to read max endstop, uncomment this and comment the above if using max endstops
beta_homing_direction home_to_min # Or set to home_to_max and set alpha_max and uncomment the alpha_max_endstop
beta_min 0 # This gets loaded as the current position after homing when home_to_min is set
beta_max 210 # This gets loaded as the current position after homing when home_to_max is set
gamma_min_endstop 1.28^ # Pin to read min endstop, add a ! to invert if endstop is NO connected to ground
gamma_max_endstop 1.29^ # Pin to read max endstop, uncomment this and comment the above if using max endstops
gamma_homing_direction home_to_max # Or set to home_to_max and set alpha_max and uncomment the alpha_max_endstop
gamma_min 0 # This gets loaded as the current position after homing when home_to_min is set
gamma_max 158.85 # This gets loaded as the current position after homing when home_to_max is set

alpha_max_travel 500 # Max travel in mm for alpha/X axis when homing
beta_max_travel 500 # Max travel in mm for beta/Y axis when homing
gamma_max_travel 500 # Max travel in mm for gamma/Z axis when homing

# Optional enable limit switches, actions will stop if any enabled limit switch is triggered
#alpha_limit_enable true # Set to true to enable X min and max limit switches
#beta_limit_enable true # Set to true to enable Y min and max limit switches
#gamma_limit_enable true # Set to true to enable Z min and max limit switches

# Endstops home at their fast feedrate first, then once the endstop is found they home again at their slow feedrate for accuracy
alpha_fast_homing_rate_mm_s 50 # Alpha/X fast homing feedrate in mm/second
alpha_slow_homing_rate_mm_s 25 # Alpha/X slow homing feedrate in mm/second
beta_fast_homing_rate_mm_s 50 # Beta/Y fast homing feedrate in mm/second
beta_slow_homing_rate_mm_s 25 # Beta/Y slow homing feedrate in mm/second
gamma_fast_homing_rate_mm_s 4 # Gamma/Z fast homing feedrate in mm/second
gamma_slow_homing_rate_mm_s 2 # Gamma/Z slow homing feedrate in mm/second

alpha_homing_retract_mm 5 # Distance to retract from the endstop after it is hit for alpha/X
beta_homing_retract_mm 5 # Distance to retract from the endstop after it is hit for beta/Y
gamma_homing_retract_mm 1 # Distance to retract from the endstop after it is hit for gamma/Z

# Optional enable limit switches, actions will stop if any enabled limit switch is triggered (all are set for delta)
#alpha_limit_enable true # Set to true to enable X min and max limit switches
#beta_limit_enable true # Set to true to enable Y min and max limit switches
#gamma_limit_enable true # Set to true to enable Z min and max limit switches

# Optional order in which axis will home, default is they all home at the same time,
# If this is set it will force each axis to home one at a time in the specified order
homing_order XYZ # X axis followed by Y then Z last
move_to_origin_after_home true # Move XY to 0,0 after homing
endstop_debounce_count 100 # Uncomment if you get noise on your endstops, default is 100
endstop_debounce_ms 1 # Uncomment if you get noise on your endstops, default is 1 millisecond debounce
home_z_first true # Uncomment and set to true to home the Z first, otherwise Z homes after XY

# End of endstop config
# Delete the above endstop section and uncomment next line and copy and edit Snippets/abc-endstop.config file to enable endstops for ABC axis
#include abc-endstop.config

## Z-probe
# See [smoothieware.org]
zprobe.enable false # Set to true to enable a zprobe
zprobe.probe_pin 1.28!^ # Pin probe is attached to, if NC remove the !
zprobe.slow_feedrate 5 # Mm/sec probe feed rate
#zprobe.debounce_ms 1 # Set if noisy
zprobe.fast_feedrate 100 # Move feedrate mm/sec
zprobe.probe_height 5 # How much above bed to start probe
#gamma_min_endstop nc # Normally 1.28. Change to nc to prevent conflict,

# Levelling strategy
# Example for 3-point levelling strategy, see wiki documentation for other strategies
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.enable false # a leveling strategy that probes three points to define a plane and keeps the Z parallel to that plane
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.point1 100.0,0.0 # the first probe point (x,y) optional may be defined with M557
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.point2 200.0,200.0 # the second probe point (x,y)
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.point3 0.0,200.0 # the third probe point (x,y)
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.home_first true # home the XY axis before probing
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.tolerance 0.03 # the probe tolerance in mm, anything less that this will be ignored, default is 0.03mm
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.probe_offsets 0,0,0 # the probe offsets from nozzle, must be x,y,z, default is no offset
#leveling-strategy.three-point-leveling.save_plane false # set to true to allow the bed plane to be saved with M500 default is false

## Panel
# See [smoothieware.org]
# Please find your panel on the wiki and copy/paste the right configuration here
panel.enable false # Set to true to enable the panel code

# Example for reprap discount GLCD
# on glcd EXP1 is to left and EXP2 is to right, pin 1 is bottom left, pin 2 is top left etc.
# +5v is EXP1 pin 10, Gnd is EXP1 pin 9
#panel.lcd reprap_discount_glcd #
#panel.spi_channel 0 # SPI channel to use ; GLCD EXP1 Pins 3,5 (MOSI, SCLK)
#panel.spi_cs_pin 0.16 # SPI chip select ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 4
#panel.encoder_a_pin 3.25!^ # Encoder pin ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 3
#panel.encoder_b_pin 3.26!^ # Encoder pin ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 5
#panel.click_button_pin 1.30!^ # Click button ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 2
#panel.buzz_pin 1.31 # Pin for buzzer ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 1
#panel.back_button_pin 2.11!^ # Back button ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8

panel.menu_offset 0 # Some panels will need 1 here

panel.alpha_jog_feedrate 6000 # X jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.beta_jog_feedrate 6000 # Y jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.gamma_jog_feedrate 200 # Z jogging feedrate in mm/min

panel.hotend_temperature 185 # Temp to set hotend when preheat is selected
panel.bed_temperature 60 # Temp to set bed when preheat is selected

## Custom menus : Example of a custom menu entry, which will show up in the Custom entry.
# NOTE _ gets converted to space in the menu and commands, | is used to separate multiple commands
custom_menu.power_on.enable true #
custom_menu.power_on.name Power_on #
custom_menu.power_on.command M80 #

custom_menu.power_off.enable true #
custom_menu.power_off.name Power_off #
custom_menu.power_off.command M81 #

## Network settings
# See [smoothieware.org]
network.enable false # Enable the ethernet network services
network.webserver.enable true # Enable the webserver
network.telnet.enable true # Enable the telnet server
network.ip_address auto # Use dhcp to get ip address
# Uncomment the 3 below to manually setup ip address
#network.ip_address 192.168.3.222 # The IP address
#network.ip_mask 255.255.255.0 # The ip mask
#network.ip_gateway 192.168.3.1 # The gateway address
#network.mac_override xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx # Override the mac address, only do this if you have a conflict

## System configuration
# Serial communications configuration ( baud rate defaults to 9600 if undefined )
# For communication over the UART port, *not* the USB/Serial port
uart0.baud_rate 115200 # Baud rate for the default hardware ( UART ) serial port

second_usb_serial_enable false # This enables a second USB serial port
#leds_disable true # Disable using leds after config loaded
#play_led_disable true # Disable the play led

# Kill button maybe assigned to a different pin, set to the onboard pin by default
# See [smoothieware.org]
kill_button_enable true # Set to true to enable a kill button
kill_button_pin 2.12 # Kill button pin. default is same as pause button 2.12 (2.11 is another good choice)

#msd_disable false # Disable the MSD (USB SDCARD), see [smoothieware.org]
#dfu_enable false # For linux developers, set to true to enable DFU

# Only needed on a smoothieboard
# See [smoothieware.org]
currentcontrol_module_enable true # Control stepper motor current via the configuration file

July 16, 2019 06:04PM
I did just see a change however. I connected the USB cord to a USB3 outlet on my PC and Pronterface refused to connect at 115200 baud. Switched back to USB2 port and it will connect but same issues. Need a different cord I guess

July 17, 2019 12:39AM
Ooh, that's the wrong config file for GT, you've got the one for an original smoothie board (pin assignments are all the wrong numbers for starters).
I had to start with the config.txt downloaded from Panucatt directly (GT download page)

That should get you going in the right direction.. the SPI one is for the TMC 26xx drivers, the other config is for all other drivers.
Mind the section at the bottom for setting digipot currents, normal smoothie boards don't have this as the drivers are not exchangeable. It's likely that nothing would move because you were talking to the wrong driver pins, and driver current wasn't set.

# Azteeg specific settings do not change
currentcontrol_module_enable true #
digipot_max_current 2.0 # max current
digipot_factor 51.0 # factor for converting current to digipot value
#51.0 for SD8825, SD6128, BSD4989, BSD109A

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2019 01:50AM by Diggrr.
July 17, 2019 12:54AM
The firmware download is universal, and gotten from the github page. Latest is always best.
Once the board has been booted with the new firmware, the "firmware.cur" isn't really needed anymore, that's done so you can verify the board was flashed successfully. I keep mine on there just the same, but I don't let the card fill up with gcode files anyway so the space isn't needed (by me).
Of course the config.txt must stay, as do any extra files from calibration and bed leveling if you use that.

Let me know how it goes!
July 17, 2019 05:56PM
Well I definitely know when and how I put the wrong config file on the card, thanks Diggrr.

*Have changed over to the X5-GT config file now and set everything as I think it needs to be for my machine. Have gone back over everything else we discussed also; but still getting the same result.
Powered on fine, says it's connected, NO SIGNAL.

- What "host" are you using and what settings have you entered in for it?
- Also, do you mind sharing your config file so I can compare what I might not have set properly?

Thanks very much for your time and suggestions btw. Very happy to have the help getting this thing back running.

MC

July 18, 2019 12:53AM
I've attached my config.txt file for you.
Mind you that mine is a little bit "tortured". lol:
*I have a Berd-Air cooler that I run off the second extruder port (2.5)
*I use a PT-100 for hotend temp, so there's extra bits in that section.
*I found that fan #1 in the wiring diagram has the wrong pin number, it should be (1.22) and not (1.25).
*I use fan#1 to exhaust my enclosure with a temperature switch module.
*I use fan#2 on the hotend, but it's temperature controlled and only runs when heated over 60C.
*I have the red button on the Viki2 set as a kill button, so I could use the pin for my PT-100 (1.3).
*I'm using the Y-Max endstop port as my Y-Min (remember I said not to feed 5 volts into a logic pin, right?) winking smiley
*Lastly for my network section at the bottom, I don't use a Host name. My HughesNet internet modem insists on serving DHCP to everything, so I use a dumb gigabit switch to connect my PC and printers together. The IP changes weekly, but shows on the Viki2 at startup, so it's no big deal to type in the new IP to my browser.. I keep a link to "Fred" and to "lil Dude" in Firefox and change IP's (right click>properties) when the modem changes them.
I've found it easiest to keep my config.txt on my computer, and when I change something I use the web interface/Firefox to select the config.txt and upload as if it were a gcode file, then restart. That way identical versions are always on my PC AND the SD both. I rarely have to remove the SD card.
Last time I plugged in the USB cable, it did work in Pronterface.

Lol I guess that covers everything. I did abbreviate lines to shorten things up and make it more pleasant to scroll through.
Attachments:
open | download - config.txt (26.2 KB)
July 22, 2019 06:29PM
Thanks again Diggrr,

Have gone over your config and mine line by line and I'm not seeing anything jumping out to me yet. Even swapped out my power supply for good measure. Everything remains the same. On the note that it is something simple I have missed I'm going to try a couple different text editors for my config file next.

Man, I never claimed to be smart but this is making me feel real dumb, lol.

MC

July 23, 2019 04:15AM
Well if everything software remains equal, then it's likely time to seek a replacement board. Though the build quality is excellent with Panucatt, there's sure to be some that just have a failure somewhere.

The last thing I have is to make sure that the motor wiring is correct for the steppers you're using. I've seen some with crossed center conductors from what's expected (ACBD instead of ABCD). That will make for a non-moving machine.

Best of luck man, let me know how things shake out for you!
July 28, 2019 02:18PM
Well I finally found the mistake in setting up my X5 GT board. And true to form it was something very simple and obvious that I just overlooked.

BTW if you have named the config file on your SD card with added letters or characters it will not be recognized by the board and cause it not to work or respond. This is something clearly mentioned on the smoothie setup pages but if you're a creature of habit like me, avoid adding a date or version designation to the name config (or config.txt) on your card. The other thing I did was re-save the file through Gedit (linked on the smoothie website) in a definite ANSI format just to be sure.

Good news is, my board is fine and all systems respond to commands from Pronterface now. The bad news is, the problem that caused me to switch to the new board is still present. All of the stepper motors act like they are binding or hitting obstructions when they are given the signal to move. This is what happened with the original board (except even the hotend and heatbed froze) leading me to believe the board was infected.

Now one or two steppers going bad at the same time could happen, but all four in exactly the same way at the exact same time isn't very likely. I'm going to swap out the motors this week and hopefully be back in business with that, but I want to know if anyone else has ever experienced this. These are fairly new motors with less than 100 hours on them (swapped them out when I did a frame upgrade last year).

As mentioned in my original post the problem came on suddenly after downloading and starting to print a file from thingiverse. My first thought was that the file was corrupted in someway and "bricked" my board, but there's no way that should be able to happen to the steppers is there? I mean they're not chipped or encoded in anyway. There are no cuts splits or shorts in the wiring, and again they're practically brand new. No settings have been made to them and the trim pots have not been touched. Yet all of them act like their voltage is turned way down or that they are bound in someway.

I'll update after I can swap them out, but if this has happened to anyone else I would love to know how or why it happens and if these motors can be recovered at all.

MC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 02:21PM by wednesday.

July 28, 2019 07:36PM
Which stepper drivers are you using? The SD8825?, or other Panucatt driver?
Do they have the 3 extra pins installed at the end near the POT? If they do, the little pair of solder pads in that corner need to be cleaned off (not bridged together by solder). If the pins and the solder join are both "ON" you will have problems with motor current.

Also, if you do have the 3 extra pins, make sure they are in the matching socket on the board (did that once, that little strip of 3 sockets can bend over easily and not engage the pins).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 07:38PM by Diggrr.
July 29, 2019 07:12PM
Hey Diggrr,

Yes using all new SD8825's across the board. There is no bridging of the solder posts.

I found and fixed the motor problem late last night and started to tune the config file. Everything was good, so I went to bed and left the fine tuning for today. This afternoon I was making progress, the "X" is dialed in and working properly, and "Y" moves and homes correctly. However the endstop switch didn't trigger, so I clicked the center red button on the Pronterface control dial to stop the motor from moving. Everything disconnected but the info screen said paused. The printer wouldn't reconnect after that so I re-booted everything. Now I have lost the USB port to connect completely

Windows is denying the USB driver. In device manager I'm getting; "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" on the main list. The driver properties/General reads; "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) A request for the USB device descriptor failed". Have tried to un-install and re-install the driver but no Buenos.

Do you have any experience with this one?

MC

July 31, 2019 01:26AM
Wow, that's new!
When all else fails with Windoze, shut everything down and unplug the USB.
Start the PC, plug in the USB, start the printer. Make sure to check in Win Device manager that it's still using the same com port you expect or Pronterface won't connect.

Glad you got it to move!
August 26, 2019 06:50PM
Still no luck. Have tried several sd cards but none will mount to my host PC. The work around seems to be to put the firmware file on the sd card and disconnect the mass storage device settings in the config.

My only question here is; is there a specific smoothie firmware for the x5 GT or is it the same as what is on the smoothie github? Found out the hard way that the base config file differs from the base smoothie config but haven't found a specific Azteeg/Smoothie firmware file yet. (havent looked in depth either)

The time I have to putz with this thing to get it back running is short, and other projects have suffered with it out of commission, so I broke down and ordered an Ender 3 the other week just to get back into the production of parts. Assembly and set up were really straight forward and it prints at an equal quality to my DIY right from jump. With the Ender busy catching up the other projects I can finally put some time into the x5GT board again without the added stress. At this point though, I'm thinking of setting up mine with the creality board and firmware since it just works, lol.

Anyone want to buy a new/used Azteeg x5 GT?

MC

August 28, 2019 04:11PM
Man. USB has always been sketchy in Windows with one smart device or another (for me), so I've always trusted Ethernet. It's one of several reasons that I moved to a 32 bit board for a simple i3 that 8 bit can handle fine. My satellite modem changes IP's often and is the DHCP sever, so I have to change my browser link, but that's displayed on the Viki when booted so really it's a non-event (way easier than RasPi let things happen, lol).

As for firmware, the GitHub firmware.bin is universal to all smoothie boards that I know of (the first gen old-timers were excluded recently, they ran a different CPU that Azteeg doesn't use). Only the config.txt files differ from machine to machine.

Buying yours is sure tempting, but other things are tugging hard at the budget these days. sad smiley
Sorry I ran out of talent..
Re: Azteeg X5 GT issues and SPI not functional
November 24, 2019 11:50PM
HI Digrr,

Im new to the X5 GT board and just installing into my cube pro re build, running:
Marlin 2.0.x Bugfix ( current version)
Pauncatt Bigfoot 2660 drivers on 5 slots
Viki2 LCD

Ive attached my config, pins and config.adv files in case.
Im have big problems getting the SPI to return via M122 a connection as below.

HOw did you get yours going or are you using another driver on the X5 GT??
cheers
Jason

"Send: M122
Recv: X Y Z E E1
Recv: Enabled true true true true true
Recv: Set current 800 800 800 800 800
Recv: RMS current 673 673 673 673 673
Recv: MAX current 949 949 949 949 949
Recv: Run current 23/31 23/31 23/31 23/31 23/31
Recv: Hold current
Recv: CS actual
Recv: PWM scale
Recv: vsense 1=.165 1=.165 1=.165 1=.165 1=.165
Recv: stealthChop
Recv: msteps 16 16 16 16 16
Recv: tstep
Recv: pwm
Recv: threshold
Recv: [mm/s]
Recv: OT prewarn
Recv: OT prewarn has
Recv: been triggered
Recv: off time 3 3 3 3 3
Recv: blank time 24 24 24 24 24
Recv: hysteresis
Recv: -end -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
Recv: -start 1 1 1 1 1
Recv: Stallguard thrs 0 0 0 0 0
Recv: DRVSTATUS X Y Z E E1
Recv: stst
Recv: olb
Recv: ola
Recv: s2gb
Recv: s2ga
Recv: otpw
Recv: ot
Recv: Driver registers:
Recv: X 0x00:00:00:00 Bad response!
Recv: Y 0x00:00:00:00 Bad response!
Recv: Z 0x00:00:00:00 Bad response!
Recv: E 0x00:00:00:00 Bad response!
Recv: E1 0x00:00:00:00 Bad response!
Recv:
Recv:
Recv: Testing X connection... Error: All LOW
Recv: Testing Y connection... Error: All LOW
Recv: Testing Z connection... Error: All LOW
Recv: Testing E connection... Error: All LOW
Recv: Testing E1 connection... Error: All LOW
Recv: ok"

Project:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2019 12:01AM by Jasontwd.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (108.1 KB)
open | download - Configuration.h (78.8 KB)
open | download - pins_AZTEEG_X5_GT.h (3 KB)
November 25, 2019 12:51AM
Hey Jason,
Sorry man, I'm running Smoothieware on mine and using SD6128 drivers now.
I tried Marlin for a minute some time ago, and the Viki would not work, so I haven't been back to it.
I had the TMC2660's in at the time, but Marlin was not done enough to try 'em out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2019 12:54AM by Diggrr.
November 25, 2019 02:49AM
Thanks Mate,
Worth a shot.
Im keen as to get this running marlin as its needed for the quad head Im running, seems smoothie cant do that from what I understand, could be wrong but.
Any other forums that might be good to ask on re the Azteeg X5??
cheers
jason
December 02, 2019 01:50AM
I used to be in a facebook group, 3d printer design & build (or something close to that).
There was a guy running a quad idex on smoothie, did some of the fw himself. Not sure if he ever forked it on github or not.
Might try to find the group..
April 01, 2020 06:01PM
wednesday
...rd a go instead of the traditional smoothieboard for this replacement (sorry Arthur).

I will find you. I will kill you. It's just a matter of time.

smiling smiley
April 01, 2020 06:52PM
Get in line brother. I said I was sorry for not going with the "real smoothie". Believe me I have been.

mc

April 01, 2020 06:59PM
Did you still get a working machine in the end?
April 02, 2020 10:13PM
Not yet, had to put it on hold for now. have been building a few large CNC's for work (and a few other folks) and bought an Ender3 just to keep that moving. Will be re-visiting this soon though. I plan on a total rebuild of this printer and a clone. Want to try to get the panucatt board to work still, but will be ordering a real smoothie too.

MC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login