Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS sbase 1.3 and filament sensor

Posted by jzagaja 
MKS sbase 1.3 and filament sensor
February 05, 2020 04:53AM
Only option to use filament sensor is to buy TFT32?
Re: MKS sbase 1.3 and filament sensor
March 02, 2020 06:36PM
March 14, 2020 02:54PM
No, you can also use one of the spare pins. A filament sensor is usually a switch like mechanical end stops.
April 01, 2020 05:54PM
For reference, and just in case you were not aware of this information ( we often meet users who do not know ) : [smoothieware.org]
April 07, 2020 08:28PM
My last few new MKS boards did not come with any pre-installed firmware, and after looking for a motherboard with firmware I have some to find that they simply are sold minus firmware.
The last board I purchased said "32-Bit Controller Compatible with Marlin 2.0 Smoothie Firmware TMC2130/2208/2100 498". It came with NO firmware installed, as well as no SD card. Since I was upgrading from an 8 bit board to a 32 bit board, I took the easy route and stayed with Marlin, migrating to Marlin 2 and its new build procedure. Today I decided to look into this "Smoothie" firmware. I am one of those that will blindly try something new(to me), with virtually no background in it. I teach myself and will ask for help to understand something. Once you understand something, it becomes a lot easier to use. Having MKS motherboard I happened upon that page where they essentially say if you have MKS board, go away.

They go on about how MKS is selling boards with Smoothieware pre-installed, basically taking open source code, and locking it up on the motherboard. I am going to assume that whoever it was that got their panties in a bunch have not noticed that motherboards may say they support Smoothieware, just as they say they support Marlin, but I have not found any MKS boards that are being sold with firmware installed by MKS. The printer I purchased came with a MKS board, and no firmware installed, but it did come with a SD card with a working Marlin firmware for me to install that was configured by Flsun.

After reading that page on their website it has convinced me to stay clear of that firmware. This is a hobby to me, I'm in my 60s and simply do not have the stomach for people like the ones that posted that crap. I have been involved with pc's since the first clones showed up, ran a 5 line BBS that distributed more shareware than you can imagine. That single page is the worst example of what open source is supposed to be that I have ever seen. I realize that they don't care I have decided to never run their firmware, much like they likely do not even realize they have effectively removed the open source they claim to be. I would suggest that everyone give them what they want, and stay away. Its a good example of what happens when children get control.
April 08, 2020 02:34AM
doug_scott
Once you understand something, it becomes a lot easier to use. Having MKS motherboard I happened upon that page where they essentially say if you have MKS board, go away.

That is *not* what that page says. The page says if you have an issue with a MKS board, please ask MKS for help first before you turn to the community of volunteers that board is destroying, it's only fair.
Everybody I interract with within the Smoothie project seems to understand and think that's fair.
I still help people *nearly every day* with MKS board issues, on my own free time ( because surprise surprise, MKS is terrible at providing support ... )
Just asking people ask them first.

doug_scott
They go on about how MKS is selling boards with Smoothieware pre-installed, basically taking open source code, and locking it up on the motherboard

They have shipped Smoothie with it, violating licenses etc, for years. This marlin thing is a very recent development.

doug_scott
. I am going to assume that whoever it was that got their panties in a bunch have not noticed that motherboards may say they support Smoothieware, just as they say they support Marlin,

Or you could be charitable and presume that people are not idiots that get upset over nothing, and they actually had good reasons for writing the things they did. But nowadays apparently even that is too much to ask.

doug_scott
but I have not found any MKS boards that are being sold with firmware installed by MKS. The printer I purchased came with a MKS board, and no firmware installed, but it did come with a SD card with a working Marlin firmware for me to install that was configured by Flsun.

That's great to hear: I helped somebody who got their MKS with Smoothie firmware pre-installed *this morning*. That same person thought their hardware was Open-Source, and felt upset they were misled about that, by the way.

doug_scott
After reading that page on their website it has convinced me to stay clear of that firmware.

Considering how mistaken/unfair your assesment of the situation has been, I probably won't be too sad I won't have to provide support to you. You might have turned out to the that one person a year that despite not paying for support, and getting tons of volunteer time, still complains as if they had been hurt in some way when additional free time isn't donated to them.

doug scott
This is a hobby to me, I'm in my 60s and simply do not have the stomach for people like the ones that posted that crap.

Let me ask you. Did you actually read it? You didn't seem to realize we only *ask people to ask MKS first* despite that being explained several times.
So I wouldn't be surprised if you just hadn't read and just presumed what was written on there.

doug
I have been involved with pc's since the first clones showed up, ran a 5 line BBS that distributed more shareware than you can imagine. That single page is the worst example of what open source is supposed to be that I have ever seen.

Please explain how so.

doug
I realize that they don't care I have decided to never run their firmware, much like they likely do not even realize they have effectively removed the open source they claim to be.

Smoothie's Open-Source code is the most actively developped in the Open-Source CNC space ( in parts thanks to supporting more than "just" 3D printers or "just" CNC mills etc ).
It has the most active and widest-reaching support-providing community, on forums, on mailing lists, on IRC, on social media. Everywhere.
It has the most complete documentation, by far.
It has tons of active and absolutely awesome contributors making it better everyday, and every single one of them I know for a fact if I asked them would think you are being unfair to the project ( think I'm wrong, tell me so, I'll post a link to this and let *anyone* who disagrees tell us about it here ).

It's doing Open-Source just fine.

doug
I would suggest that everyone give them what they want, and stay away. Its a good example of what happens when children get control.

Not what we want, as we prove every day by reaching out. Just trying to make sure we don't have to actively work on destroying the project just because somebody doesn't understand what they bought.

In case you don't realize, I talk *at least three times a week* to a new person in the following situation: bought a MKS because it runs Smoothie and is cheap, expected it to be Open-Source, because why wouldn't it be as it's derivative of an Open-Source project, feels they've been stolen from when they realize it's not Open-Source. Possible one in three of them *actually return the board*, to the point MKS now uses dishonest tactics to refuse returns/refunds.

But sure, we're just whining. After all, it's not like this was all volunteer time donations ...

This is incredibly sad, and it's incredibly unfair to the massive amounts of work donated over the years to the project. I really wish people were more considerate ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 02:38AM by arthurwolf.
April 08, 2020 04:20AM
To steal is MKS way of doing business:

[reprap.org]

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
April 08, 2020 04:38AM
MKSA
To steal is MKS way of doing business:

[reprap.org]

Eh, I didn't know about this instance, but MKS has a long history of conning people / stealing.

There's that guy whom when he asked for a replacement for a broken board, the person in the support line said they if they have to provide a replacement, their boss will fire them, so please don't ask for a replacement, they have a family to feed etc. Btw, MKS is pretty obviously just one or two people running everything ...

There's also the v1 of the MKS SBASE, that *was not functional* in many ways because they don't actually have technical knowledge/experience, they just steal stuff, and the Reprap community helped them fix it *thinking it would be open-source* ( obviously, since it copies Open-Source hardware, ie Smoothieboard, RIGHT ??? ), only to later discover they were taken advantage of by helping a closed system thinking it was open.

And that's just the few ones I followed closely, there's MUCH more, just search the forums here.

But sure, let's pile on onto the people giving away months of their lives/free time for free to improve things for everybody, THAT's the bad guys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login