Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

configuring smoothie firmware

Posted by catmandu 
configuring smoothie firmware
January 22, 2021 07:50AM
Hello,
I have built a rotary delta printer and need to use smoothie firmware to run it. ( I believe it is only smoothie that has this firmware type) but have come up against a problem. The firmware loads fine and I can move the arms on all three axis as they should move, but when I attempt to home the printer it just cuts out and a box pops up to say it is an " illegal move" and to reset the printer or send M999. Could anybody give me a clue as to what the problem might be, Thanks
Re: configuring smoothie firmware
January 22, 2021 01:27PM
I can't help you with Smoothie firmware, but it is not the only firmware that supports rotary delta kinematics. RepRapFirmware does too, and I think there may be a Marlin fork that does.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 27, 2021 11:53AM
Thanks for the comment DC42, apologies for the late reply, my computer decided to pack up along with a couple of other things all at once, I guess it must be down to the present situation! I have been on this project for some time now and , if I remember correctly the RepRap firmware is limited in its sizing (using a calibration tool similar to repetiers) and so was not suitable, but I need to revisit this to confirm. I have been told of the marlin fork but was never able to track it down, but I am up against a brick wall with smoothie I think, so it's time to search again!
With regards to marlin, again I am having a couple of problems with compiling it using PlatformIO. It has been so long since I have needed to alter marlin that I think I have forgotten something. I use SKR V1.3/4 boards on all my printers and I decided a few weeks back to update marlin to the latest 2.0.7. and change the drivers on a delta from LV8825 to TMC2100. Although the firmware compiled and uploaded successfully it would not connect with Pronterface or Repetier although firmware.bin changed to FIRMWARE.CUR, and when I checked back on PlatformIO I find that the file is only 56kb when I am sure that the last one was about 500kb, and rerunning the compilation I notice in the terminal window that there is a section that is "searching for dependencies" but is followed by "no dependencies found" which I think is wrong and would explain why the build time is about 50 seconds when I am sure that it used to be about 300. I would be grateful for any light shed on this
January 28, 2021 02:33AM
catmandu
I have been on this project for some time now and , if I remember correctly the RepRap firmware is limited in its sizing (using a calibration tool similar to repetiers) and so was not suitable

I can't think where you got that idea from. The size limits in RRF are of the order of kilometres, and always have been.

BTW did you do a search to see if anyone has done a Smootheware fork that supports Rotary Delta?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 30, 2021 09:56AM
I could not remember what it was with RRF and so had another look at it. The problem was that, using the config file generator the Z height seems to be limited to 260mm and my printer has a height of 380mm so the tool would not advance past this setting until I reduced the size to 250, so I did not try any further. There also seems to be a branch of Klipper that supports rotary delta, but again it seems to be limited in the type of board it will run on. At the moment I seem to be up against a brick wall with all my printers except my original little Anet A2 which is still going strong. Even having problems with marlin right now- can't figure out what is wrong, using PlatformIO the firmware seems to build and upload to the SD card with no problem and when I put it in the machine the file changes to FIRMWARE.CUR but the LCD screen stays blank (lights up) and will not connect with Repetier or Pronterface.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login