Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hangprinter version 3

Posted by tobben 
Re: Hangprinter version 3
December 07, 2017 01:22PM
diddledirt are you building a v2 or v3.3?

We are calibrating!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 01:51PM by delloman.
December 07, 2017 10:45PM
I have decided to build v3.3 and hopefully I will be able to start assembling by January. As long as my current printer doesn't die
December 11, 2017 08:00PM
Can we get some good pics on wireing the hanger?
December 11, 2017 09:15PM
So it's hanging can we get some photos of the way the ankers are attached to the hanger and how the hanger is tied to the 3 d lines.
[photos.app.goo.gl]
December 12, 2017 09:20AM
Ok, these ones are the best I have right now:

Basically one pair of for example A-lines enters their closest corner_clamps from below. They then turn 90 degrees towards each other and meet on the upper side of the beam. Tie a loop in the ends of each A-line and attach both to the same beam slider. Slide that beam slider back and forth until your mover is in parallel with your A-anchor linerollers. An attempt to visualize A-line routing from above using Tux Paint:

D-lines enter corner_clamps from above, through the same hole as ABC-lines. Thread D-lines through the tunnel+track and attach (on the inside of the beam) each D-line to its own beam slider. Slide the D-sliders back and forth until your mover is level/horizontal.

Lastly tighten the screws of all six beam sliders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 09:44AM by tobben.

torbjornludvigsen.com
December 12, 2017 10:50AM
Some people have asked for better guidance on the ceiling unit layout. I have hesitated with publishing this layout, because D-linerollers are the only ones that need to be placed out precisely. They should be placed out using the alignment methods documented earlier in this thread.

Anyways, I made an orthogonal render png in Openscad:

winking smiley

torbjornludvigsen.com
December 12, 2017 09:41PM
Thanks could you and Tom post the unedited video for his patrons. Hope to calibrate tomorrow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2017 09:52PM by delloman.
December 13, 2017 12:25PM
We are building a heated bed for the project
December 13, 2017 04:38PM
Are any of the core team using a 3mm e3d vacano with Titan extruder .8 and 1.2mm nozzle? What's your build speed? Also your slicer settings anyone using simplify3d?
December 14, 2017 08:34AM
We've been using 0.8 and 1.2 nozzles. We've used 1.75 mm filament, but 3 mm is fine too. Speeds from 20 to 60 mm/s. I recommend big layer heigths (> 0.5 mm). Otherwise use same settings as with other printers, just remember to set the correct nozzle size. And be aware that big solid first layers are hard to print. Consider if you can get by with 0 solid first layers.

Regards,

torbjornludvigsen.com
December 14, 2017 09:06AM
Thanks by the way the live stream was great

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 10:41AM by delloman.
December 14, 2017 02:44PM
Can you link the parts for the bed ?
December 14, 2017 03:29PM
What are the differences for the Mechaduinos calibration compared to the live stream?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 03:31PM by delloman.
December 16, 2017 09:31PM
So it's moving will be printing tomorrow [photos.app.goo.gl]
December 17, 2017 05:20AM
Cool, good work! Looks like it's moving smoothly smiling smiley

Have you set up the i2c addresses on the Mechaduinos? If you have, then you should be able to use a few special gcodes if you want. Short crash course:

Torque mode: G95 A-30 should make A motor wind in line with a low force. G95 B-50 winds in B with high force. G95 A0 puts motor A back into step/dir mode. Test enabling torque mode on one motor at a time to see that the correct Mechaduino board receives the correct instruction. When you know all work, try issuing G95 A-35 B-35 C-35 D-35 which should allow you to drag the mover around by hand. Speeds up homing alot.

Some specials mostly used during auto-calibration:
G96 A B C D marks a reference point on encoder readings from ABCD motors. G97 A B C D reads out length travelled along each axis since your last reference point was put out. G98 A B C D saves the same values into the internal line_lengths variable in firmware. It assumes G96 was issued in origo at a time when lines were tight.

torbjornludvigsen.com
December 18, 2017 11:43PM
The build begins...

I have the mover and extruder all together. A note for the US builders, Lowe's stores have 5/8" square poplar stock. If you scale the mover parts up 2% they fit perfect. Now I am just waiting on some V groove bearings and I should be ready to go. I should have most of the top plate together this week. I am going to attempt to use the Prusa extruder design. If I can get his working, I will more than likely try to do another tutorial for version 3. Pretty excited for this one.

Chris
[www.youtube.com]
December 19, 2017 09:04AM
Get the carbon fiber it's alot better. I Have them when we move the printer to it's home we will install them. it saves you 80-90 grams on the mover.
December 19, 2017 09:19AM
which is about 12 - 13% of the total mover weight. Wood is easier to work with since you can drill into it. Carbon fiber (and a very light extruder) is a good option if you plan to print close to the edges of the reachable print volume. I also think carbon fiber beams look good and feel good, but this is highly subjective.

I've never noticed a difference in print quality between my wood-beam movers and my carbon fiber movers, but if I pushed them to the limits, I guess carbon fiber would win by a few millimeters extra corner-case accuracy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 09:20AM by tobben.

torbjornludvigsen.com
December 23, 2017 07:22AM
Hi all!

I CADded an experimental zip tie based corner_clamp. I won't be able to test it myself during Christmas, but here it is: [github.com]

Also, I added an untested nut trap to beam_slider. Feel free: [github.com]

torbjornludvigsen.com
December 27, 2017 03:49PM
Hi All,

I am located in Los Angeles. I'm going to be diving into a build soon. I'm trying to document and improve the build process. I have called the berkley filerline manufacture in the US. In converting the line used the .5 line is 110lbs test and it is not made or available in any way in the US. I'm reaching out to the UK and Germany to see about getting some and I will be talking to a hollywood stunt coordinator to see if there is a reasonably priced alternative here. Is there anyone in the US that is interested if I can get it imported?

Thank you
December 27, 2017 03:59PM
Tobben,

My CF tubes are 500 & 300mm. If I make the mover ( FH = Flying Head ), I will use this convention going forward, without cutting them down what changes? Understanding the board layout changes for the size difference. Is there any thing else I will need to do for a different size FH it will it be accounted for during the calibration? Also I have ordered the Silent Step Sticks I should have them soon. Are they supported in the current Marlin you have in git? I hope to order Mechaduinos in the next 45 days.

Thank you
December 27, 2017 04:13PM
@dc42

I will be heavily documenting my build - If you want to lend or donate a controller I'd be glad to test it. I'm going to design a pre-done board layout and try to come up with a CNC pattern. I already have a slide in mount for stock Arduino / Ramps, so exchanging the electronics is 1 optional screw besides the terminals. I could do the same for the Duet WiFi. I also have a similar mount for the Raspberry Pi. The board also will include handles and a ceiling pre-mount system. You mount the Pre-mount to the ceiling and mount the "main board" to the pre-mount in a slide in manner. OSMS . - Overhead Speed Mounting System

Thank you
December 27, 2017 05:40PM
Hello and welcome 3dprintgeek!

3dprintgeek
Is there any thing else I will need to do for a different size FH it will it be accounted for during the calibration?
You should not have to do anything differently smiling smiley Just measure distances between pivot points as usual when calibrating.

3dprintgeek
Are [tmc2130SilentStepSticks] supported in the current Marlin you have in git?
Yes, both tmc2130SSS and Mechaduinos are supported in HangprinterMarlin. Be sure to use the Openscad_version_3 branch.

torbjornludvigsen.com
December 27, 2017 05:57PM
3dprintgeek
@dc42

I will be heavily documenting my build - If you want to lend or donate a controller I'd be glad to test it. I'm going to design a pre-done board layout and try to come up with a CNC pattern. I already have a slide in mount for stock Arduino / Ramps, so exchanging the electronics is 1 optional screw besides the terminals. I could do the same for the Duet WiFi. I also have a similar mount for the Raspberry Pi. The board also will include handles and a ceiling pre-mount system. You mount the Pre-mount to the ceiling and mount the "main board" to the pre-mount in a slide in manner. OSMS . - Overhead Speed Mounting System

Thank you

Hi 3dprintgeek,

I'm discussing this with my colleagues and we will get back to you. Are you planning to use conventional stepper motors, or Mechaduinos? If you use Mechaduinos then I guess you wouldn't benefit from the high microstepping TMC2660 drivers on the Duet.

Regards David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 27, 2017 08:36PM
David,

I will be building and documenting the builds with stock ramps, and motors first, I will also do Silent step-sticks, and Mechaduinos later if they are still in stock when I'm ready. While providing some excellent features to the hang printer I feel they will for a while be the most exotic build. They require more electronics skill and knowledge than the other builds and the greatest cost. They were on back order for a long time. I also have a install made of Ubuntu Mate with remote access setup on the Raspberry Pi, by passing the need for Octoprint. It allows for the use of many more software options, not that there is anything wrong with Octoprint. i just like more options. I like the option to customize. If you wish to have me include the Duet I will work on documenting a build with it second, placing it before the steps-sticks. I feel it will much easier to take advantage of working with TMC2660s by remoting into the Pi.

Thank you
December 27, 2017 09:02PM
@Tobben,

Thank you - I will be up soonish as I have what I think are the last parts coming Friday. I have all of my parts printed. I look forward to getting the printer in a useable state. The only hang up is the fireline. Here in the states we have much weaker variants of it, so i will probably start with .38 but hope to import from the UK or find something similar in the US. i suspect it's a safety standards issue here. We are no longer allowed to run with sharp objects. I have been involved with learning from the people who put a man on the moon and we have been reduced to, we will choose what is good for you and then tell you to like it. I will keep you informed as to what is happening.

Thank you
December 28, 2017 12:31AM
We used this it's working fine Piscifun PE Braided Fishing Line 547Yd Blue 120lb Test [www.amazon.com]
December 28, 2017 03:06AM
@dellman

Thank you for that - how is your printer doing? I saw above it's moving. How have things progressed?

Thank you
December 28, 2017 06:14AM
I found this article describing braid vs fused -

[www.in-fisherman.com]

I'm still working on how to get Fireline in the US.

Thank you
December 28, 2017 03:55PM
It's working good we have not worked on it much with the holidays there are more pics on the Facebook group. After talking to tob we are raising the build plate off the ground and monting the ankers at the same hight.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login