Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bags made out of PLA?

Posted by frankvdh 
Bags made out of PLA?
September 25, 2018 05:32PM
Given the current furore about plastic bags and oceans and non-biodegradability, I'm wondering if there's been any work on shopping bags made out of PLA, and, if not, why not? Although PLA won't degrade much in the ocean, it can at least be broken down in a composter. Or even re-used as *free* source material for 3D-printing. smiling smiley

Although 3D-printing wouldn't be economic for large-scale production, I'm also wondering about 3D-printing a proof-of-concept flat mesh, which can then be "popped out" into a 3D bag... a fairly rigid square (or other shape) for the bottom, and around it mesh sides, maybe something like the 3D-printed chain-mail? How would I go about designing a 2D shape like that?
VDX
Re: Bags made out of PLA?
September 25, 2018 05:49PM
... the material properties of "pure" PLA are not sufficient -- and when blended with structural boosters, then the bio-degradability is gone too sad smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 25, 2018 06:37PM
Hemp is the way to go, Hemp & Bamboo Backpacks what's not to love, free extra bag inside smiling smiley
October 02, 2018 08:31PM
I've read that hemp/cotton bags take a very large amount of energy to produce, so their carbon footprint is actually fairly large and you'd need to use it well into your children's lifetime past yours to equal the footprint of a plastic bag. It sounds a bit sketchy and maybe short sighted to me, but just thought I'd mention it.
October 03, 2018 01:37AM
AFAIK, food industrie already uses PLA? foil to wrap meat and other fresh goods.
Only one step to go to make a bag off it.
October 03, 2018 03:01AM
But what if you aint using hemp just left over cannabis, they wont be stopping growing it in the states & canada any time soon so have to have a way to recycle the fibres.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login