Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing Waste, Specifically Dissolvable Supports

Posted by WesBrooks 
Printing Waste, Specifically Dissolvable Supports
October 09, 2019 03:02AM
Hi all,

One of the measures that Material Extrusion systems beat Photopolymer systems is handling of the excess, waste, reject, and raw material. There are services available to collect and recycle unwanted PLA, PETG, etc. As far as I am aware waste from photocured resin systems is landfill when fully cured and hazardous in its raw form.

I would like to have a go with using a support material, but I am concerned about how the waste product is handled. With Disolvable supports it seems that the waste is classed as chemical waste and there is no one looking into recivering the dissolved material and making it re-usable.

Have I missed something?
VDX
Re: Printing Waste, Specifically Dissolvable Supports
October 09, 2019 01:56PM
... no, it's common to "ignore" the requirements for proper handling "3D-print-waste" - it's mostly disposed "as normal" sad smiley

One of the ideas in my project description for handling the catched "open-sea-waste" is to heat it in inert atmospere (autoclaved?), so it will be reduced to mainly charcoal -- this could be done here, on "mainland" with the collected plastic too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 10, 2019 02:34AM
So after being dissolved (I think it is water for pvc and limonene for HIPS) the polymer is permanently destroyed and the resulting solution couldn't be dried and reformed nack to filament?

There would be significant and potentially toxic out gassing from that charcoaling process wouldn't there?
October 10, 2019 02:42AM
My bad, I think the water soluable material is PVA
VDX
October 10, 2019 06:15PM
... the "outgassing" inside the autoclaves should be treated with plasma or other methodes/measures to get all the nasty parts into an "inert" status like glass - this is part of "needed research" bits ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

October 11, 2019 09:52AM
Fair enough! Read a few sites in the mean while and PLA is redarded as not hazardous to human consumption as it does not accumulate in the body. Still seems like a huge waste to me, single use and landfill.
VDX
October 11, 2019 03:27PM
... pure PLA is "not hazardous" ... but most PLA filaments are filled with dyes and additives -- and many (to all) of them are!!

Viktor
--------

October 11, 2019 05:40PM
Sorry I ment PVA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login