Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I am in Dayton

Posted by Joe.McKibben 
I am in Dayton
December 06, 2007 06:21PM
Hello,

Does not look like there are many in Dayton building RepRaps or RepStraps. I have an idea of who requested this local forum thread though.

I am not sure if I am going to build one yet but I am researching the subject.

Joe McKibben
Anonymous User
Re: I am in Dayton
December 08, 2007 01:59PM
I have the 3D robot working, I just need the extrusion head and method to attach the head to a Dremel drill press.
December 08, 2007 02:58PM
Hello,

Have you saw the extrusion kit from Bits from Bytes website for 30 pounds or euros (whatever it is)?

Are you going to mount the dremel to the extrusion head or relpace the extruder with the dremel?

Joe McKibben
Anonymous User
December 08, 2007 10:22PM
imagine the dremel tool gone, I have to attach the extruder to the hoops, (see attached file).
Attachments:
open | download - Dremel.doc (119 KB)
December 11, 2007 06:49PM
There is nothing in the attached document.

Joe McKibben
December 11, 2007 06:52PM
Do you have a extruder. Do you have any drawings of the parts you want made up. I may be able to get some made here depending on the materials. It is even possible for me to get them made on commercial rapid prototyper.

Joe McKibben
Anonymous User
December 13, 2007 08:13AM
I have most of the parts already for the extruder, but I am strapped for time and I need a few more parts, like a brass bearing.
December 16, 2007 06:02PM
If this helps at all I am in Oxford, Ohio (Miami University) for school and currently in Cleveland area for home. I am building a reprap and most of the parts have been ordered. I hope to accomplish this soon as I am home for winter break and the reprap I am building needs to be built by the end of next semester.
Greg
Anonymous User
January 11, 2008 10:25AM
Hello Joe, Greg, and "englewood".

I live just north of Cincinnati, so we all are relatively near one another. (I can see Kings Island fireworks from my house.)
I am building a McWire RepStrap. I only just started a few weeks ago on the electronics. I have one more stepper motor driver board to build, as well as two arduino bbb. I tested out the opto-end-stop boards so far but have hesitated on testing the other boards until I understand what I have to do with the PC power supply. I see the information for the power supply mentions connecting the power on with ground and also the sensing wire with 3.3V. The sensing wire (brown) is connected to the same pin, 11, as a 3.3v orange wire. I don't think I need to do anything with this. Anyone know?
After I test the boards, I move on to the mechanical. It looks like a bit of challenge in that there aren't details about v1.2 at this time. I am hoping that by the time I complete the base, Zach may have some more details available.
I am looking forward to getting to know you.
David
January 11, 2008 11:16AM
Thats great. I have not started building yet so I don't know how much help I can be right now on the know how side of things.

I guess I need to order some of the electronics boards and the components and start on this thing.

Joe McKibben
Anonymous User
January 11, 2008 11:26AM
I bought all the electronic components from Mouser. The total was $111.86. I suppose if I actually took the time to examine my components bin, I could have saved a few bucks but then again, it never hurts to have extra parts. Do you plan on buying the boards from RRRF? I noticed that a few boards that I have were not v1.2, so some silkscreening wasn't correct. I was still able to assemble them alright. I would have ordered a few more three pin connectors to mount to the opto-end-stops instead of the breakaway headers to keep the orientation of the connection correct. Then again, soldering wires directly to the board would work just as well.

David
January 11, 2008 05:47PM
Yeah I will probably get the boards from RRRF.

Joe McKibben
September 20, 2008 01:29AM
I'm north of Dayton (Piqua) and just stumbled across this RepRap thing. Just like everything else I see on the internet - I want one! smiling smiley It doesnt seem like the whole project has picked up enuff momentum yet to just 'find a buddy to clone it' but if thats possible, I'd totally be interested. I'd even be willing to make a few in return.
Anonymous User
September 20, 2008 09:55AM
Hello Josh.
I am glad you found interest in the RepRap. It is difficult to focus on hobbies when the rest of life requires so much attention. I haven't progressed much further with my build from earlier this year. My circuit boards are constructed and I have 80-90% of the parts in a box. With school, work, and family, free time often comes last. Perhaps you will start and motivate me to find the time.
January 07, 2009 07:37PM
Just in case anyone is still reading,

i'm in mid Cincinnati, 45213 zip code.

I actually make traditional furniture by hand, but i'm a database and netadmin by day, and have been wanting to explore computer controlled prototyping, and the reprap seems, amazing from the little i've studied.

Perhaps a few of us could join, create one, and use it to create parts for more Repraps, and each can gain experience in building the first together.

Just an idea, but it might be neat to try. I'm in, if anyone would care to.
I'm user Kazendei on flickr.com if one is bored, and curious about the woodwork stuff. smiling smiley
Anonymous User
January 07, 2009 10:05PM
Hello Kazen.
It helps to have subscribed to this thread as this is the only way I know when there is a post.
Oddly, I only just had the opportunity to revisit my reprap project within the last few weeks. I finished a few of my boards (one with an issue). My current schedule does not allow me to schedule my free time easily but depending on your interest, perhaps working together may move the project along. I would be interested in sharing ideas throughout with other local people.
Thanks for posting!
January 07, 2009 10:12PM
I have not worked on RepRap at all really but I would like to get into it. I am trying to get people together for a hackerspace in Dayton (www.daytondiode.com). If we ever get it up and running I think it will be a great place to work on reprap at.
We are in the planning stages and have 8 members so far. I am currently working on getting Dayton Diode made in to a non profit. And after that and we have enough members trying to rent out a space.
January 07, 2009 10:45PM
Oh and how do I get one of those etched copper dinosaur fossil pieces? I would love one to hang on the wall.

Joe
April 20, 2009 10:47AM
Hey everyone,
I just found out about a Reprap and I too want one. I was wondering is there any status on anyone elses Reprap construction? I'm thinking about purchasing the parts however. I only have a basic understanding of what it does. It would be great to talk to someone who has put one together.
June 03, 2009 04:19PM
I'm in Dublin (30 minutes from Columbus) and currently in the research stage, very interested in building a RepRap this summer.
November 16, 2009 12:48PM
I made a SW Ohio RepRap group on Google Groups today.

[groups.google.com]

I have a MakerBot and am in Cincinnati...

~Dave
I am in Dayton - actually Cincinati
March 27, 2010 03:06PM
I am assembling a MakerBot.

I am impressed with the high precision of the laser cut parts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login