Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Setting up RepRap in NL

Posted by WebSpider 
Setting up RepRap in NL
August 17, 2010 05:53AM
Hi there!

After seeing a RepRap Darwin and Makerbot in action at a local hacker-convention, and seeing the interest this project got from many hackers, I am working on setting up a Mendel myself, mainly for the purpose of self-replicating so the costs for other people to start with 3D printing aren't as steep. The main reason not to start on this project from may people was the cost. Offcourse there are still the costs for electronics, motors, etc, but with a little effort we should be able to at least get the costs of a makerbot down for local development purposes.

I am mainly interested in getting the word out there that there is a 3D platform that could use some more development, and getting more local people on-board so they can do development of the RepRap's once they have their own running. There are currently about 15 known bots in NL, so we could use a bit larger community locally, but also globally: When this project matures seriously, there is an alternative for shipping stuff all over the world and recycling waste in one. World domination isn't a bad goal in this case, I'd say!

So far I've gotten access to a local laser-cutting shop, that is willing to cut me the big slabs and parts from plexiglass (PMMA) at material+electric costs and am looking which parts to get additionally. I've seen the webshop at grrf.de, and was wondering: When I cut my own slabs and parts, get all the kits listed at [shop.grrf.de] and get a plastruder, put everything together, I should be ready to start replicating, right? It sounds simpler than it probably will be smiling smiley

Additionally, would anyone happen to have a single file that combines all Mendel parts for a single laser-cut?

Did I overlook anything, except that this new project will probably grow me some grey hairs? smiling smiley
Re: Setting up RepRap in NL
August 17, 2010 06:35AM
I think you are confusing the Darwin, Mendel and Makerbot designs.

The MakerBot is designed to be lasercut (they use wood) and AFAIK there is a lasercut Darwin but the only Mendel lasercut design is from TechZone Communications (marketed by BotMill) and I think you have to use wood to make it work!

There is the Isaac which is a Mendel with some parts redesigned so they can be created on CNC machines.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
August 17, 2010 06:41AM
Well, looking at [shop.grrf.de] there is some lasercutting involved for a Mendel. Also, I was hoping to cut the green parts in [reprap.org] ?
August 17, 2010 06:52AM
The 8mm threaded bar is also green, were you planning on laser cutting those too?

In any case, the design files for the TechZone LaserCut Mendel can be downloaded from here.

I wouldn't recommend doing them in plexiglass though...

You might search through the forums for all references to "TechZone" and "BotMill" before starting your build.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 06:53AM by rhmorrison.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
August 17, 2010 06:58AM
There are some "thick sheet" parts in a Mendel, which are 2D, and most easily cut by laser, but they are also not too hard to make with a saw and a drill if you simplify them: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com]

The "green" parts are extruded 3D shapes, so can't be made with a laser cutter. TechZone have redesigned them as 2D wooden shapes that are glued / bolted together in layers to approximate the 3D parts, but I believe there are some issues with strength.

There are also moulded versions of the parts, but they require the holes drilling and have issues with accuracy and strength [design-creed.blogspot.com].

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 17, 2010 07:21AM
nophead, rmorrison thanks for the extra info!

The issues with strength and accuracy are good reasons not to have the 3D parts lasercut. I will look and see if anyone has these 3D parts in plastic for me, and most definately read more about the wood lasercutting.

rmorrison, what is wrong with plexiglass as a material for the Mendel?
August 17, 2010 08:05AM
WebSpider
What is wrong with plexiglass as a material for the Mendel?

The TechZone (BotMill) laser cut design depends on the compressibility of the material.
Wood is; plexiglass is NOT.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
August 17, 2010 08:09AM
The problems with PMMA and the hard plastics used for the molded parts are that they are very brittle, so they break with no warning when placed under too much stress. PLA is similar, but not quite as brittle as PMMA, but ABS will deform under stress before it breaks. It is a mixture of three monomers designed to make it tough but not brittle, which is why a lot of injection moulded items are made from it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 17, 2010 08:36AM
nophead, ok clear again smiling smiley

It seems like I'm going to have to adjust my plans, but that's exactly why I'm here: to learn stuff from you guys, and hope I can add to the community!

PMMA tends to break under stress, so it's a bad idea to use this for items that are exposed to stress, added to that when lasercutting it, you stack layers of PMMA on top of eachother, adding stress to the compounds. I see there are enough places on the net where I can get ABS Mendel plastics that will do just fine.

Next thing I'm reading into is how to get a plastruder, either assembled or kit. Seems this part of the RepRap is an area of science in itself :-) The geared extruder looks like a good choice, but I was wondering: Do all the extruders fit on the Mendel, or is there a limited choice? The way I'm looking at it, the extruder is mounted on the X-axis, so anything on the X-axis should be fine?
August 17, 2010 08:47AM
If you buy a complete set of Mendel RP parts then an extruder is included.

Generally Wade's geared extruder, sometimes Adrian's geared extruder, sometimes the seller will let you decide which one you want. Chris (nophead) has the most reliable hot end designs around but you could purchase a Hybrid Reprap Machined Extruder Parts Kit from reifsnyderb (EBay), then you just need a thermistor and nichrome wire (or a power resistor and a chunk of aluminum). You can purchase these from Watterott.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
August 17, 2010 12:07PM
Did I overlook anything, except that this new project will probably grow me some grey hairs?

Yup, WolfStrap.

We don't have a bill of materials but I think it is much cheaper to build than a Mendel, even with Loaned Parts.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
August 17, 2010 12:58PM
Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome
We don't have a bill of materials but I think it is much cheaper to build than a Mendel, even with Loaned Parts.

I have to disagree (a little bit) here...

The WolfStrap is certainly the cheapest repstrap that is well documented but it is not designed for a long life, ergo it was designed to be able to create a least one full set of Mendel RP parts with the idea that the electronics and motors can be used in the Mendel.

The Loaned Parts program would certainly be a cheaper and quicker method to obtain the desired goal of having your own functional RepRap Mendel 3d printer.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
August 17, 2010 01:52PM
The WolfStrap is certainly the cheapest repstrap that is well documented but it is not designed for a long life, ergo it was designed to be able to create a least one full set of Mendel RP parts with the idea that the electronics and motors can be used in the Mendel.

I sense we might start arguing design-intent or philosophy here. grinning smiley

When you have that set of Mendel parts, what do you do with your WolfStrap?

And what do you do with your Mendel parts?

And do you build another WolfStrap, if you have the woodworking tooling? smileys with beer

Only webspider can answer these questions.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
August 17, 2010 03:26PM
Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome
Only webspider can answer these questions.

I think you mean Stoffel15 since it's his machine and his design.
And he has specifically stated that the drawer slides do not last very long!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2010 09:59AM by rhmorrison.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
August 17, 2010 04:00PM
My intent in this project is to have a RepRap that can replicate at length, so more RepRap's can be built cheaper for developers in NL. With a larger userbase, progress will be made more rapid since there are simply more users that drive the progress and help in achieving it.

I'm not interested in creating the cheapest RepRap possible right now. Right now the main goal is twofold:

1) The RepRap should be able to replicate over and over again at a reasonable cost price
2) The machine has to look interesting, since I am planning to visit schools, etc and demo it to get more interest going (hence the PMMA I started out with, which I think I'll replace with translucent ALS) for further development.

I've seen one opportunity to get a ready-made Mendel for $1300, which is a bit over the top though: When I add up all the parts I need, and buying the electronics after them being soldered, it will cost me about EUR800. The difference in price will print a lot of RepRap's smiling smiley
August 20, 2010 08:01AM
Just to chime in here, as I'm from NL...

Have you noticed this shop yet? [www.mendel-parts.com]

He's based in Eindhoven, accepts visitors.. hangs out on IRC as Camiel|G.

I've gone my own way as the design was more important to me than making parts, but I'm documenting the journey here:\

[www.mendel-parts.com]

I'm in Voorburg. Don't have anything printing yet, but I expect I will within a couple weeks.

Al...

[araspitfire.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login