Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone in Edmonton?

Posted by aznserpent 
Anyone in Edmonton?
March 30, 2013 03:28AM
This forum seems to be dead... is there no one else in Edm that has a 3D Printer? smiling smiley
Re: Anyone in Edmonton?
April 06, 2013 04:57PM
Wow, deadsville here. I'm looking to get a printer of my own, no RUG here it seems. Time to do a little creative investigating...
April 14, 2013 01:34AM
Welcome! Another active printer in the city would be nice smiling smiley
April 15, 2013 02:59AM
Hey, I'm here. Working on my printer right now. Hopefully have it up and running soon.
April 20, 2013 01:51AM
Excellent! Well if u need any help send me a private msg.
April 27, 2013 02:04PM
Hey I'm new and converting my CNC to 3d printer
PWQ
May 18, 2013 04:11PM
Hi all. I'm nearing the end of my Prusa Mendel build. I'm new to this so I'll probably be popping back in shortly with questions about firmware and such.
May 28, 2013 01:05AM
hey i can try my best to help smiling smiley
June 16, 2013 12:15AM
ya i am in edmonton my self, just finished building my custom printer just waiting for my rambo board to get here then she up and running.
PWQ
June 17, 2013 01:22AM
Thanks for the offer dactylicxx. I managed to get through the firmware alright though... I've managed a couple of prints now. Spare parts mostly. smiling smiley
PWQ
June 29, 2013 01:09AM
Hey, is anyone else using the Prusa Nozzle?
July 17, 2013 06:56PM
I have my self sourced MendelMax 1.5 up and running. I built a larger than spec version, so that when I increase the size of my heated bed, I should be able to do 12"x12"x11" prints, but I'm sure they would take way to long to finish.

Mike Anton
[manton.ca]
[laserlight.wikidot.com]
July 26, 2013 01:20AM
I'm proud to announce I will be helping 4 Prusa i3's come to life in the next couple weeks in Edmonton! ^_^
August 15, 2013 06:30PM
I'm south of edmonton, near leduc. But i wish there was RUG in edmonton. I have a printrbot myself, and am looking to build a reprap. We should start a RUG in edmonton. Thoughts?
October 08, 2013 12:28AM
I think an Edmonton RUG would be a good idea. It would be nice to be able to share ideas with others.
November 01, 2013 12:57PM
Hi, I am in Edmonton. I am almost finished building my Mendel90. I'd like to meet other 3D'ers here or in the area. Send me a PM if you'd like. Best regards ..
December 04, 2013 12:20AM
We're in Edmonton and I finally found this forum - My son and I have a MakerBot Rep 2 we're tired of waiting weeks for Maerbot to even process our orders and we have decided to start a small store to sell filament and maybe some bots for enthusiasts. Discounts for local folks who support us starting out (it's for his college). first order is on it's way and we'll have every color in ABS, PLA 1.75 and 3mm...
Is that something that will help folks?
December 18, 2013 04:43PM
Did you give up? We're here now!
January 28, 2014 05:06AM
Hello everyone

I'm new to 3D printing. Just signed up on this forum and it's time to meet people. For me it all started about a month ago when I walked into an electronics store to buy a few components and saw the Arduino. I just had to have that little device as it was perfect for a few projects I have. While checking out information online, I came across 3D printing and when I saw that the heart of many systems is the Arduino, my enthusiasm grew ten fold. And now I just have to build one... or two... or three spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

But I could not wait that long to have my first taste of 3D printing so I bought a machine which I will use to experiment with, make more machines and what ever else comes to mind. I am looking forward to engaging with the RepRap community and especially local enthusiasts.
February 18, 2014 10:35PM
Patiently awaiting delivery of a Rigidbot - Should be here any day!.....cool smiley
Anyone have suggestions for a 3D scanner?
Also reside in Edmonton.
February 18, 2014 11:06PM
Great idea Manton RUG - I would be interested - probably could use direction on 3D software.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 11:07PM by sled.
February 18, 2014 11:40PM
Have you thought about the MakerBot one?
February 19, 2014 12:59AM
This is the scanner I have my eye on. [store.makerbot.com]

Seems to be a reasonable price range and has many favorable reviews.
February 19, 2014 01:11AM
Guys - RepRap Warehouse - is the company that my son (14) and I just started to help Westerners out...

RepRap Warehouse

It's not published yet but we are the the first truly western company approved as MakerBot resellers. We can price the units very competitively and we promise to give you an extraordinary customer service and tech support experience.

The other thing that you will find is that we can save you money on shipping and import issues.

I can give you names of customers that already would tell you about our service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 01:13AM by God67.
February 19, 2014 01:34AM
hey Sled..

I recently had this exact conversation. I am an engineer in the Edmonton area for many years and what I learned 20 years ago is getting a little stale so I have also been looking for the easiest way to get my 3D design skills back on par.

Of course (if you have money growing our of your a*s) you can buy a AutoCad or MicroStation or even SolidWorks for hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Or you can download a questionsable or major buggy torrent or cracked versions. Personally for me that's off the agenda for money and PITA reasons.

I did a whole bunch of homework and I'll give you our insight:

1. If you want to get slowly brought up to speed and not have to do ANYTHING in 3D a learning platform that could be productive in your current 2D world (like me). The makers of SolidWorks offers a boiled down i.e. easy to learn version of itself called Draftsight. obviously a "gateway" modeling tool but VERY capable and truly free for a beginner CAD person and may solve short term drawing capabilities while getting familiar with the design workspace.

2. SketchUp is very well reviewed [www.sketchup.com]

3. Blender [www.blender.org] is an Open source fanatics dream and my personal favorite. If you are ready willing and able to go to school this site has a million tutorials and it seems to be more that full featured.

4 Last but not least while trolling on Thingiverse I found [tinkercad.com] which appears to be the ULTIMATE beginners tool...

Please let's share our experience if you try any of the above and feel free to ask/call about any equipment or filament you need. We are here JUST to help western Canadians

Steve
www.reprapwarehouse.com
February 20, 2014 03:00AM
Hey Steve,

That's some good and useful information you have there. My son, Dan, and I are new to 3D printers and I have been suffering greatly on finding a program to create objects to print with my printer. I have had the best luck so far with OpenSCAD. Quite simple to use but you have to create your object strictly using command lines.

Dan has been using Blender for awhile now as he is studying C++ and has interest in creating his own computer game. However, just this week he has told me that objects created with Blender don't slice well. Not sure why.

I had the opportunity to see IronCAD in action and I just loved it. It is the absolutely perfect program but when I inquired on a price... at $4000 dollars, I was taken aback. They offered me a deal on a related program from the same company called Inovate. They say it is, and I quote "basically the same as IronCAD 3D with a few less features and no 2D".

I think I might take they up on the offer if they can give me another week to decide as due to work issues, I have not had time to even install the trial version. But I will keep this forum updated as to what happens on this subject.

Roy
February 20, 2014 02:31PM
Check out freecad. It is a full featured CAD program that can actually even convert meshes into solids as well as all the standard CAD features.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 21, 2014 12:26AM
Hey all - thank you for the suggestions - The 4 letter word (work) sometimes holds me back. I have downloaded Blender last Sunday and I find it may take a while for me to wrap my brain around it. Definately will have a good look at the others. Cheers smiling smiley
April 05, 2014 06:35PM
TruckRat,

did you ever look further into the MakerBoy scanner? We have them on our website now and available. If I am not mistaken there was a significant price drop in the last two months.

PM me if you are still looking at it...

Steve

Steve
RepRap Warehouse | www.reprapwarehouse.com
April 24, 2014 02:55AM
Not much happening on this end for awhile now. Dealing with a shoulder injury which is forcing me to look into the possibility of a new career.

Been working with my son on some ideas in the realm of 3D printing, Robotics and the Arduino. Will keep you all posted when things start to take shape.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login