Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Toronto Reprap - local meeting

Posted by fredlatesta 
Toronto Reprap - local meeting
October 31, 2011 10:33AM
Hi,

quick introduction,

Just over a month ago, I got my first Prusa printing to a point I was happy to print a 2nd set of parts. I am now working on printing a 3rd set of Prusa parts. and building the 2nd.

I run a local user group for some other hobby, we meet once a month, to chat, and talk to like minded people about the hobby.

I was wondering if there would be any interest to trying a Reprap User Group meeting? If there is already a group/meeting then please forgive me for barging in. But if not, I would be willing to plan one. This is how I run the other one.

On some upcoming Friday (to be announced) I offer to meet people at a local Toronto restaurant at 7pm. Typical I find Swiss Chalet to be the most accommodating to groups. I arrange ahead of time with the staff that the group will need separate bills, so that if you just want to show up for a coffee, or a meal, you are free to choose. It also stops any issues with how much he tips, and I only had the steak angst at the end of the night.

There would be no need to pre register, no dues, no fee, just show up at 7pm.

If there is interest I will make a second post outlining where and when. If there is no interest, then thats ok too.

Regards

FL
Re: Toronto Reprap - local meeting
October 31, 2011 12:04PM
I think there was a Toronto User Group for this aft Hacklab a while ago, but I'm not sure if it's still going on.
October 31, 2011 07:43PM
Made an account just to reply to this post. I would be very interested..! Although a weekend would be more convenient, yes?
November 01, 2011 09:25AM
@ emjay,

Thank you for the reply; you are correct that a weekend would be a better time, but.....

I have found in the past that when it comes to hobby-meets and times, human nature says that if there needs to be a decision between a real commitment (family, business, party) vs a hobby commitment, the real event takes a precedence. I have always picked a Friday night because most people do not need to worry about working the next morning. If the meeting goes late, that's ok. people can sleep in. As well, because I plan meetings where it is not required to pre register, I never know if 2 people will show up, or 10. This sounds counter intuitive to planing a meeting but when it comes to hobbies, what has worked for me in the past is a no pressure no stress no fee model allowing people to decide at the last minute to attend or not with out fear of guilt or reprisals. Typically on a Friday, family restaurants are not as busy as a Saturday. So the restaurant is more willing to expand if more people show up.

Based on your feedback to this thread, and seeing that there have been other meetings in Toronto in the past, I would propose a meet & greet.

I will do a second post to list time/place/location ect.

Regards

FL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 09:25AM by fredlatesta.
November 08, 2011 05:38PM
Sounds good smiling smiley

Let's get a strong GTA group going
November 19, 2011 08:55AM
Like emjay above, I registered an account this morning just so I could reply to this. If this meeting it still a possibility, I like to state my interest, as well. Friday or weekends makes no real difference to me, and 7pm is a good meet time. I've just started researching reprap machines in earnest in the last few days, and will start collecting parts for one this coming week.

With luck, I'll be up and running by the holidays, but having a local group to bounce ideas and solutions off of would help immensely.
November 22, 2011 05:24PM
Any follow-up on this?
January 17, 2012 11:34PM
Also interested!
February 04, 2012 10:34AM
Also interested.
February 25, 2012 12:11PM
There's another RUG meetup at hacklab on monday. I'll be there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login