Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forget Kapton, ABS juice is the best

Posted by fredlatesta 
Forget Kapton, ABS juice is the best
March 07, 2012 08:21PM
I saw it first at the meeting; aplavins showed us a mason jar with a few scraps of ABS and acetone.

Then in the General forum here, [forums.reprap.org] Snaka said the same thing.

Tonight I scraped off all my Kapton. I then mixed a few small scraps of black ABS in with an ounce or so of acetone, and waiting a few minutes. I dipped some kitchen paper towel in this black juice, and wiped it on 3mm tempered glass.It dried in moments, and when I printed on my warm heat bed the ABS stuck as well as it did on Kapon. I removed the glass, and set it on the counter. A few minutes later, off popped the part no hammer, or banging required.

This trick will save me $30/roll of Kapton.

Thank you so much for this tip.

I need to find a better way to apply it, right now the juice gets on my hands. I love the finish it leaves on the bottom of the part. I can see if you print with many colours you might want to have a juice for every colour. On my part, the dried juice is now part of the part that printed.

Regards
Re: Forget Kapton, ABS juice is the best
March 20, 2012 05:54PM
Hey fredlatesta

I upgraded again...

This time borosilicate glass at 130ยบ C. Much cleaner. But ABS juice is still the second best choice.
March 21, 2012 06:10AM
Funny,

I just downgraded, (sorta)

When I posted about how nice ABS juice was it was with black ABS, and works as described. I swapped colours to yellow, and made a fresh batch of yellow ABS juice, and while it did work, it was not as good as the black.

I have mixed up a 3rd BLUE batch, and will try that, but I have not thrown out the Kapton just yet.

Was your glass a special find, or a custom order from a glass shop?
March 21, 2012 03:30PM
I took Komb's advice and got them from here
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login