Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best plastic cheap to Canada?

Posted by Komb' 
Best plastic cheap to Canada?
April 02, 2012 10:32PM
I recently found voids/bubbles inside the filiment I was using.
So, I'm looking for an alternative source.

What has been the best for your printer?
Re: Best plastic cheap to Canada?
April 09, 2012 01:54AM
I've been using ABS plastic from mixshop, they're based in Toronto so you can do local pickup and waive the shipping, so far the ABS from them has been consistently 2.94mm which is pretty decent.
Morena
April 09, 2012 01:54PM
Komb' Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently found voids/bubbles inside the filiment
> I was using.
> So, I'm looking for an alternative source.
>
> What has been the best for your printer?

Can you tell were were you buying the bubbly filament?
April 09, 2012 07:38PM
I'm afaid it was Mixshop.

I don't blame them. Just there supplier.
April 29, 2012 04:16PM
I order from Ultimachine, never had a problem with the filament and it gets delivered super fast (2 days?). Its also cheaper than mixshop.
November 25, 2012 10:41PM
I do not recommend voxelfactory.com for plastic. Attempted to purchase through their website, reported an issue as my order would not go through and they can back stating not an issue on their site must be on my side. Advised them not my side but to send me a receipt through paypal instead and got an email back stating their website works fine, advised them was purchasing from someone else and good luck with that. How hard is it to create a simple freaking receipt on paypal and send it, not that hard done it myself but apparently they where to busy trying to defend their website to pay attention to fact they where losing a customer, sorry venting.
November 26, 2012 12:13AM
Actually I've had a pleasant experience with VoxelFactory. Quality of PLA has been good so far, and prices are good if you buy the dual or triple filament packages.
They did mess up one of my orders at one point, but they rectified it immediately.

A2A Printer (I think they are affiliated with MixShop) is pretty good as well. I wouldn't consider them cheap tho. They do local pickup in Toronto (actually Markham).

My guess is they are all buying from the same set of suppliers in China (repraper et al). It's a lot cheaper, but the shipping kills you, unless you buy in bulk.
I live in the GTA, if anyone local wants in on a bulk order, I'd be happy to set one up.
November 26, 2012 10:05AM
I've been quite impressed with the EckerTech plastic spools.

EckerTech has been working with a Canadian plastics manufacturer to make filament specifically for 3d printing.

I'm actually talking with them about stocking some for my store in Scarborough. (GTA)

The only down side I've found is the Spools are huge in diameter. They don't fit most top side spoolers.

I've already designed one that works and the Prusa version should be on thingiverse this week.

Waiting for a spool to take picks of with. smiling smiley
March 12, 2013 10:29PM
I liked the plastic so much, I'm now stocking it in my store. smiling smiley

More colours and types and sizes arriving in the near future.

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
Anonymous User
March 24, 2013 10:33AM
I can supply you for $15/KG. 1kg for 1 spool.
1.75mm and 3mm, both PLA ok.
New original material, and roundless tolerance is +/-0.02mm.
If you have interests, I can send my factory photo to you for a look.
Davi
liouzhiguang@yahoo.com.cn
May 22, 2013 02:01PM
Did anyone have good transactions with this guy?

I just ordered from this guy..and he sent me the wrong color and wrong type of plastic; I wanted ABS, and he sent PLA. On top of that, there is $31 import fee..so they are not really cheaper. OMG sad smiley

meinvexcellent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can supply you for $15/KG. 1kg for 1 spool.
> 1.75mm and 3mm, both PLA ok.
> New original material, and roundless tolerance is
> +/-0.02mm.
> If you have interests, I can send my factory photo
> to you for a look.
> Davi
> liouzhiguang@yahoo.com.cn
May 22, 2013 03:03PM
Ultimachine is becoming too expensive now and the import charges are outrageous. We purchased a spool of black ABS from voxul factory and I'm very happy with the performance.
September 25, 2013 02:11PM
I've found a supplier of 1kg spools that I like.

I was first attracted by the packaging, and the plastic didn't disapoint.

So, I'm stocking some. smiling smiley

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
January 22, 2016 11:07PM
We carry ABS, PLA & PETG,
We are in Canada checkout my store Makerparts.ca

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
January 01, 2021 12:04PM
I am interested in group buy of PLA pellets from natureworks. It would seem that filament makers have bought up all the supply available in the world. I refuse to pay $30+ US dollars for 1kg of filament plus taxes duties and shipping. I contacted Natureworks directly and their minimum order is 8000kg. I have a large format 3D printer that can lay down a 1kg of filament in less than an hour. At this rate 3D printing is far too expensive and has turned my printer into a very expensive boat anchor! The greedy filament makers are killing 3D printing industry. The profit margin they are making is obscene! I've seen the 3D printer sales plummet and cost of materials rise exponentially. Just like inkjet printers ie you can buy a printer for less than $100 but the ink costs $500+ (exaggerated but you get my point) It's foolish to pay such a high price for something that is so cheap to make. I'm ranting but it is so sad that in Canada we don't make it or sell it here like so many products. The only manufacturer of PLA resin in North America (as far as I'm aware) is the Natureworks plant in Idaho. Please let me know if anyone wants to go in on a buy direct from them. We definitely need a supply/manufacturer here in Canada! Cut out the middleman and lower the price! Cost to make PLA resin is less that $1/kg.
January 21, 2021 04:15PM
Can anybody recommend a good place to get my new 3d printer parts printed? RepRap style?

I got one quote from a place online in Toronto area, like 300+$ for 10 pieces. Ridiculous. Would print at library but darn covid lockdown.
January 26, 2021 10:44AM
Hey NovaHuta,

I have a small printing business in downtown Toronto using i3 Mk3 models. I'd be happy to give you a quote if you have the STL files available and a particular filament in mind. You can DM me, don't want to break any rules by advertising on the forums.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login