Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to 3D Printers

Posted by Scubasteve23 
New to 3D Printers
February 03, 2013 09:30PM
Hey Guys,
Im a student from Hamilton and am currently looking at building/buying my first 3d Printer. I will be asking a lot of questions and being that you guys are my local know-it-all's.. I hope you don't mind me harassing you all. I look forward to my new hobby and hope I will get tons of help from all of you.
Thanks in advance
Steve
Re: New to 3D Printers
February 04, 2013 06:03AM
Welcome to 3D printing....

Ask away.

Regards
February 04, 2013 05:06PM
Welcome and enjoy the Adventure!

Questions are always welcome.

Answers depend on the experiences of the posters involved though.

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
February 04, 2013 06:42PM
One thing that I have been getting very confused about. What is the unofficial "best" homemade 3d Printer? Im thinking the gerneral consenses is the Prusa Mendel. If so who has the best parts for the Prusa and where should I buy printing material. PLA or ABS? SO many quetions... so little time. Thank again guys/ and gals
February 04, 2013 09:22PM
Hello ! I am in Hamilton as well as building a second 3d printer. If you have any questions regarding local parts sourcing or local printed parts, feel free to send me an email.

Ive bought some parts and plastic from [www.voxelfactory.com] and it came within 2 days of ordering. Also bought a load of parts from www.mixshop.com with good results.

Fastenal is an easy place to get hardware, have gotten a load of stuff from them as well, and they have plenty of Hamilton locations.
A lot of local metal supply stores as well in Downtown Stoney Creek.
February 05, 2013 07:56AM
Scubasteve23

Your questions about "best" printer is a can of worms. It would be like me posting to a car forums, and asking what is the best muscle car.

winking smiley

That being said, I am partial to the Prusa because it is what I build (made 7 so far) They have a lot of support in the community, many people have made variations, and or modifications to them. But this is my personal opinion. Much of what I said could also apply to the Sells Mendle, or many other printers/kits out there.

I find the Prusa has a nice mix of reduced parts count, with just enough stuff to get a nice middle of the road printer. Once you make (and tune) your first printer, you can go forward, and print parts for any other printer you want to try.

As to printing in ABS vs PLA, Both materials have pro's and cons. I print 99% in ABS. I get consistent filament from my supplier, and I have the printers tuned to that material. Other people choose PLA for its positive qualities. My advice pick one and then stick with it while you tune your printer. Then once you have a printer that meets your expectations, you can experiment with other plastics; knowing any issues you have are probably not printer related.

Regards
February 05, 2013 10:08PM
The "unofficial standard" is a Prusa. As Fredlatesta said, "best" is subject to discussion. smiling smiley

My first printer was a Prusa v1. I learned so much building and tuning it.

There is probably far more info on assembling and tuning your basic Prusa than most other printers out there.

As for parts, I sell both Prusa and Wallace parts. You can get equally good Prusa parts from EckerTech.
They also sell there own variant.

For the "vitamins"(the metal bits) MixShop is good.

I would spring for a .5 J-head hotend from Hotends.com. It's solid and reliable. At .5 it doesn't clog easily letting you get the rest of the printer working. You can always get a finer nozzle later.

PLA vs ABS. I do most of my printing in ABS, but I'm doing production printing. I started with PLA as it works at lower temperatures and has a sweet smell while working. With PLA though, you need a fan more to cool the upper layers for quality looking prints, but you don't need to have a heated bed.

I would recommend getting a heated bed anyway for the flexibility. smiling smiley

Where to buy plastic? I've used 3DprinterStuff, MakerBot and EckerTech plastics and they are all good quality plastic.

MixShop has changed it's supplier from when I first ordered from there and I haven't really given the new stuff a try yet.

I hope this has been helpful,

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
February 06, 2013 11:01AM
Does anyone have any experience with the mix shop printer the Mix G1? It looks like it could be a nice little printer, but I would like to know what you guys think.
Thanks
Steve
February 07, 2013 09:11AM
I like the a2aprinter / mixshop filament.. i got some from the latest batch and it's been nice

I have a prusa now but would say that it really depends on the quality of your work and the vitamins you choose..

-joe
February 07, 2013 10:12AM
k when you guys say "vitamins" what exactly does that mean? I have been trying to get the lingo but im still not quite understand it. I read somewhere it had to do with the plastic hardware then in another spot someone referenced it to the metal and electrical components. So as far as im concerned according to those statements the whole printer is a "vitamin"
February 07, 2013 12:28PM
As I understand it, the Non printable parts, metal rods, screws, nuts etc. are the "Vitamins". (Makes you stronger)

Then you get the Electronics, motors, wires, switches. I don't think they are technically "vitamins", but you usually find them the same places that sell the rod kits.

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
February 07, 2013 12:46PM
It is every part the machine cant make itself. It is analogous to biology were vitamins are essential nutrients that an organism needs but can't synthesise itself.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 07, 2013 01:24PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is every part the machine cant make itself. It
> is analogous to biology were vitamins are
> essential nutrients that an organism needs but
> can't synthesise itself.

I like the way that is put smiling smiley.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.
February 07, 2013 02:10PM
Ah!,

Much thanks Nophead.

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
February 08, 2013 09:22PM
Anyone have anything to say about the eckertech machines? Anyone have one, heard about them? Let me know.
February 09, 2013 02:22PM
I have one!

It's great. There were some teething problems, which they worked out for me, but it's mostly been slice & print since I got it. smiling smiley

I would recommend my spool hook for though. smiling smiley

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
February 10, 2013 03:48PM
Well I have made up my mind and I am going to go with the Eckertech Printer the Ecksbot. I really like that they have created a soild version of the Prusa Mendel and incorporated the best parts of the Mendel. Also the support that I will receive will be better than any other dealer I have spoken with. Anyone have any suggestions as to what are the first few things I should try printing as test pieces? I wont have for a couple-few weeks but I will start looking at programs and settings soon. I look forward to starting my new journey into 3D printing. grinning smiley
February 28, 2013 02:12PM
Scubasteve23 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I have made up my mind and I am going to go
> with the Eckertech Printer the Ecksbot. I really
> like that they have created a soild version of the
> Prusa Mendel and incorporated the best parts of
> the Mendel. Also the support that I will receive
> will be better than any other dealer I have spoken
> with. Anyone have any suggestions as to what are
> the first few things I should try printing as test
> pieces? I wont have for a couple-few weeks but I
> will start looking at programs and settings soon.
> I look forward to starting my new journey into 3D
> printing. grinning smiley

Good choice. While I have not made an Ecksbot, I'm in the same town as Bruce, and have seen the design evolve. It works well, with their custom hot end. I am using their heated bed design for my mendel and it works great, heats up fast, etc.

(My mendel plastic and elctronics all came from Eckertech)

-Rob A>
February 28, 2013 06:40PM
Hey Rob A
I have my Eckertech machine now and it works awesome. I have been printing since the day I finished the build. I am getting fantastic prints. Any issues I have encountered they have been able to solve over email for the most part in less than a few hours. Sometimes I get a response within minutes. Very good customer support. Well worth the little extra over buying from other local suppliers. IMO. Also their web forum is allot of help aswell... sometimes you wont get a response right away on there but I understand after seeing how crazy busy they usually are when I have been there. Dont take my word for their machine, I guarantee if you get one it will sell itself to you!
March 08, 2017 12:18PM
My Tarantula Tevo 3D printer comes with a Reprapdiscount smart controller. When I started my first print, I got an error message ERR: MAXTEMP. The message is stuck and I cannot get rid of it. How can I reset the controller? What is the "kill" on the circuit for?
May 24, 2017 06:59PM
Happy to help is needed

Adam

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
June 12, 2017 08:08AM
Anyone in the GTA familiar with getting a Delta running on Marlin?

Using a MKS Sbase 1.4 board.

printer is a Tevo Little Monster.

Next try will be a real smoothieboard but would hate to see the marlin board be wasted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login