Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a Mendel, where to find good quality hardware?

Posted by Sean 
Building a Mendel, where to find good quality hardware?
March 13, 2013 12:59PM
Hello all,

I've been gathering bits and pieces for some time now, and reading tons of information leading to paralysis by analysis. So I've decided that my build will be a Mendel because I will eventually want to upgrade to a RepRapPro Mendel. Not only do I like the idea of multi-colour printing, but am hoping that soluable support printing may eventually become a more viable solution.

So far I have either bought or ordered:

Stepper Motors
Arduino 2650 + Ramps 1.4
3 GT2 pulleys and belts
PCB Heated print bed
Mechanical and hall end stops
Nifty little LCD display/controller
Old computer power supply

Now I need the hardware and hot end. I've pretty much decided on the Ultibot .35mm hot end kit. Now I need to find a good source for quality threaded rods and smooth rods. I've heard "mixed" reviews about Mixshop.ca and when I asked them a question regarding the availability of one of their products I received no response, so I've kind of ruled them out.

I've checked out Eckertech, but they advertise their threaded and smooth rods as being for their Eckerbot specifically. I haven't gone through to see if all of their threaded and smooth rods come in the sizes and quantities that I need.

Am I overlooking an obvious source in the GTA for these parts? I know I can get nuts and bolts anywhere, but since the threaded rods and smooth rods need to be absolutely straight, I'm not so certain where to get these bits with the kind of tolerances I'd need. I've checked metal supermarkets but they don't appear to have metric sizes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sean

EDIT: I just ordered the hot end and glass from Voxel Factory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 06:43AM by Sean.
Re: Building a Mendel, where to find good quality hardware?
March 14, 2013 02:49PM
fastenal.com has lots of local stores

You can get

-Screws
-nuts,
-washers
-real linear shafting(forget smooth M8 rods or drill rod) for the LM8 bearings
-threaded m8 rods (SS or Zinc Plated)
March 15, 2013 03:36PM
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, when I checked their web site, the longest available length of 8mm linear shafting was 400mm. I believe that the X axis requires two 428mm length 8mm diameter rods.
March 18, 2013 11:11AM
check again...Fastenal Part No. (SKU): 4122819
Manufacturer Part No.: WFS-8-1200

I have some on hand I had cut to length from Thomson for Prusa i2 if your interested ...PM me
November 19, 2013 06:50PM
I found all my threaded and smooth rod at HD Supply. One of Brafasco's retailers.
December 28, 2013 09:22AM
I got my smooth rods from desk jet printers at the local goodwill store.High quality.Requires some work.About $5.00 each. Take your calliper with you as some are 7 mm and some are 9 mm. I salvaged all the belts pulleys gears and servo motors for other projects as well.Great source for reasonable parts!

G W Snelgrove
June 12, 2015 05:34PM
Try John's hobby on Danforth, Sparkfun electronics, and. Digikey.com
These are all good places for kewl stuffs robotics, oh and Active surplus store.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0219.JPG (587.5 KB)
January 22, 2016 11:06PM
We carry some hardware that you might require.

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
May 13, 2021 08:49AM
I'm sorry but why are people still building these? I went conservative on my first 3d printer build and build a RepRap I3 style one with RAMPS board etc but hmm, maybe I should have done a CORE-XY, there is likely enough info out there to get it done easily enough. But still, would never consider this model.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login