Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

rep rap user-group

Posted by Liav 
rep rap user-group
January 02, 2008 08:26PM
Hi. I'm currently running dorkbot Toronto. I recently tossed out the idea of creating some kind of rep-rap user-group. Interaccess, one of our local artist run centres regularly runs workshops, and is specifically focused on electronic arts. I'm curious if any one has had any experience building a rep-rap in a collaborative group. Are there ways that making a rep-rap could be broken down into work-shop like elements (eg, Stepper-Motors 101; Nozzle Extruders & What They Can Do For You!; etc)? Is there a list of necessary skills to getting a rep-rap running?

Any general thoughts/advice?

Thanks,
Liav.
Re: rep rap user-group
January 04, 2008 07:16PM
I haven't built one but have had this project on my todo list for a few
months now.

I prolly have most/all of the skills necessary to build one. Just need
a good reason to boost the priority.

If you are interested we can get together and talk through some
of the details.

DOC

Have robots. Will travel. [www.robot-one.ca]
January 22, 2008 10:15AM
Hey Lads,
Just recently arrived in Toronto, have been looking at starting a reprap too but haven't got a chance as I just moved from Ireland. My skills are mainly in software development but I'm trying to teach myself soldering at the minute. Would be interested in meeting up if you're going to start a group.
February 27, 2008 10:52PM
Hi I live in Brampton and do have access to a 3D printer through my collage (no idea how much it costs to use) and have been interested in building a reprap. I am good with electronics but lack the pic micro background/software side of things. I also would be interested in the group.
February 28, 2008 10:07AM
Kyle, their 3D printer may cost ~$6/cubic inch if it's a FDM type. You're better off buying a mini-mill or building a RepStrap out of wood or metal.
April 07, 2008 11:50PM
Hi,
Has anyone in the area built a rep-rap yet? If so do you feel its better to mill the components myself or to order them? Most of my experience is fairly high level programming though I have taken a few courses in circuits and mechanical design. I have access to some general shop machinery through my school though not 3d printer.

I'm living in Waterloo, though if people are planning on meeting in Toronto occasionally, I may be able to meet up there as well.

Leo
April 08, 2008 02:59PM
Hey guys, I'm interested in this too. I'm currently traveling, but will be spending the summer in Toronto, starting in May. If I can get my hands on a set of parts, I'll likely be building something quickly. I'm a mechanical engineer, but I have a lot of experience building prototype embedded electronics too. Let me know if you're interested - wbortz at gmail dot com.
April 11, 2008 11:27AM
One more thing, anyone know where I could rent some workshop space near U of T? Some place I could set up some machine tools, and generally just make a mess. I don't think the girlfriend will appreciate von Neumann prototypes cluttering up a small appartment. smiling smiley
May 13, 2008 11:42AM
I think we should get together and start planning something.

Anyone know of a place where we can meet in the Toronto area. I don't mind my
place (home/shop/toys) but I am about an hour north of the city.

DOC
Anonymous User
May 19, 2008 10:58PM
Hi All
I am another person in the Toronto area interested in building a Rep Rap.
I am currently busy but should be able to get going in the July through September time frame.

How far have you all got?
Anybody ordered parts or making parts?

My skills are more the electronic soldering,troubleshooting, building boards and some microcontroller experience,

Stan
Hey folks

Cool that people are talking about a reprap group here in Toronto.

While I am not interested in building one myself, I'd love to get the idea of open source fab out there.

Next week, some friends and I are running this event:

[openeverything.wik.is]

It would be great to have a short presentation on the reprap / fab@home concept.

Is there anyone here who'd be interested in presenting?

ms
June 05, 2008 03:28AM
Hey Folks, has anyone actually built a working machine? I would love to see as I'm interested in building one myself.
June 08, 2008 10:04PM
Guys, I'm building one up currently. Thanks to Liav, I found some workshop space at Interaccess.org - now I won't be burning any more holes through the kitchen table!

So far I've got the electronics more or less done, and I'm starting on the cartesian robot. Got the X axis together yesterday, but today I've been busy with other priorities. Will be spending most of tomorrow on it though, so swing by Interaccess (Queen and Ossington) if you're interested.

Sorry I missed your event Mark, but a few days ago all I had was a very large box of various parts, not very interesting to look at yet. smiling smiley

Even now, there's not much to see, but it gets cooler each day - here's a fuzzy cellphone pic of the x axis:
Anonymous User
June 24, 2008 09:38PM
Hey Wade
Just saw the email.... that is great
How is it going did you make the plastic parts yourself?

How far along before it can be tested as a system?

Any advice or thoughts you'd want to share?

Stan
June 28, 2008 04:43PM
Hey, it's coming along nicely. More or less finished now, just waiting for some insulated nichrome wire and some plastic to extrude.

I used cast plastic parts from Bits from Bytes, they're pretty good. I had some issues with the pulleys as couplers, couldn't get enough grip from the little set screws, so I made my own coupling out of steel.

The build went a lot faster than I thought, really only two weeks to put it together. You'll need a good way to cut steel; Interaccess has a great metal bandsaw that made cutting the rods a piece of cake.

The extruder is going to cause some problems I think, the design could use some refinement. Think my first prints will be new extruder parts, assuming I can get it to print.

Got the software up and running too, but it's a little buggy yet, that'll take some time, but it'll get better quickly. So far I can load up STL files, move my bot around, but I can't get it to process a build yet, some sort of memory leak processing the STL files.

Overall, it's been a lot of fun! I'll have to put something on the builders blog soon.
Robert D
November 09, 2008 01:22PM
Any update on your project? Have you managed to create a working RepRap? I'm interested in trying.

We should definitely host some kind of get together for reprap enthusiasts here in Toronto.
November 09, 2008 01:32PM
yes, it's up and running; I've printed 75 parts so far. The next batch of 11 is printing right now!

Stop by and check it out if you like; I'm near Spadina and Dupont. Email me at wbortz at gmail dot com.

Wade
November 24, 2008 05:18PM
Not to spam the forums, but my first set of parts are complete; if any of you in Toronto want to take a crack at building a Reprap, send me a message.

Wade
October 20, 2010 07:23PM
Nice to see this, just came across reprap myself today, like it alot that there is a Toronto group.
Will be contacting Wade soon in regards to his build.
October 20, 2010 08:03PM
Andrew,

You should talk to Rob Gilson:
thatotherdude NOSPAM at gmail.com

(Wade's over in Vancouver now.)

Also, you should lurk in reprap-dev, our supersecret mailing list where the magic happens.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
October 21, 2010 11:30PM
Name the time and place! Lets get it started.

I got running machines
lots of everything
3 full sets of repraped parts for the cause

Cheers!
October 31, 2010 06:09PM
Are you in Toronto? I would be interested in buying a complete kit that I can assemble myself. Reply back to JJserious@gmail.com Thanks
November 05, 2010 10:37AM
I'm in the GTA

Commercial FDM parts are also available.
November 27, 2010 05:31PM
Hi everyone,

I've always wanted to get a "3DPrinter" and recently discovered Reprap. I think I've convinced myself I want one but I was wondering if anyone in the Toronto area actually has one?

CdnReprap - Is there anyway I can contact you directly and maybe take a look at yours up close or at least chat with you in a more direct manner? I'm am in Toronto (Scarborough) I would really appreciate it if you have the time.

I maybe contacted at GrantTPC_at_HOT_MA_ILd_o_t_com (please convert the "at" and "dot" to symbols and remove underscores.. The weird typing of my email addy is an attempt to confuse spider bots from picking up my email address and spamming my account.
November 27, 2010 10:47PM
Good grief 6 posts on the user group in one day. That must be a record.
I have 3 Mendels running.... I should say we, there are three of us. We're in St. Catharines though so that would be a bit of a drive
November 27, 2010 11:06PM
Well it's nice to know there are people not too far away..

It would be great to speak to some of you directly .. I have a whole bunch of questions that would probably be faster and easier answered by phone.
November 27, 2010 11:16PM
If you could afford to take the time to drive on down you could see the machines operating.
A picture says a thousand words, but to see it live makes it all come clear.
November 27, 2010 11:24PM
I might take you up on that invitation.... I'm definitely serious (and bored) enough to really want to build one of these..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login