Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bits from bytes is down and too expensive

Posted by tomato 
bits from bytes is down and too expensive
May 25, 2008 04:32AM
will somebody in the uk print out the custom plastic parts and post them to me? i'll pay for postage materials and any other stuff i reckon it would be cheaper than bits from bytes
Re: bits from bytes is down and too expensive
May 25, 2008 12:08PM
Have you considered making one of the RepStrap machines, such as the McWire Bot [reprap.org]?

Someone may be able to print a set of parts, but please don't underestimate the work/time involved. I don't know exactly how long it would take but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 100hrs of printing.

As for bitsfrombytes it seems that most people find the prices quite reasonable, hence their brief absence while they catch up with orders.
Ru
May 26, 2008 05:15PM
If people were manufacturing and distributing plastic parts for less than bitsfrombytes, why would bitsfrombytes exist?

Uuntil more people have reliable repraps and are happy to distribute bits, the moulded parts from bitsfrombytes are the best, and only, that you'll get.

Time to start saving up winking smiley
May 30, 2008 07:21AM
I think there is a place for both.

There will always be folk who don't want the hassle (Or can afford a hassle reduced existence) who will want ready Assembled Rigs as well as ready to go Kits of Parts. The hobby electronics, hobby engineering and hobby modeling industries are testament to this.

Ian I think is doing everyone a service in catering for that market segment and reasonably stands to make something out of it (He is putting his time and effort into making these items available, and time is money).

Likewise there are also going to be the less well off, experimenters and DIY fans who want to build as much from scratch as possible. (Potentially with or without building a RepStrap, which would be arguably redundant after the first main item is built, (or would it ??)).

I think there will be a very ready market (soon to develop) for second hand Darwin's and RepStraps as folk improve-on, move-on and build newer models.

It is fair to observe that the current state of market development favors the Vendor over the cooperative enabler. Its simply Supply V Demand in a developing market place. There is not as yet enough viable machinery out there to achieve the necessary critical mass of cooperative enablers.

Whether through capitalism or altruism (Maybe both) Ian is actively contributing towards achieving that critical mass. I certainly haven't got a problem with that

If you are certain that the same can be done for less, I think potential customers would welcome the competition. Vote with your feet.

Cheers

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
Anonymous User
March 31, 2009 01:12PM
Having just assembled a RepRap by sourcing all components and parts myself and having to get commercially sourced printed parts I can say that the new v3 device from bits and bytes is cheap at £750. Also the man hours saved creating the kit saves £££.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login