Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New guy looking at building a Mendel

Posted by simeon 
New guy looking at building a Mendel
June 10, 2010 03:05PM
I'll start off by saying I'm looking into building a Mendel, I'm currently pretty much reading as much as I possibly can at the moment.

I'm now looking into sourcing electronic components, and from my research getting most of the bits direct from makerbot seems to be likely to be the most cost efficient way of doing things (generation 3 electronics kit + an opto endstop). Would you guys agree, being entirely honest I'm slightly lost with all of this right now but I will get there.

Hopefully I won't have too many questions doing this!
Re: New guy looking at building a Mendel
June 11, 2010 06:43AM
I'm currently looking at the materials procurement, and it mentions Zach's Gen2 electronics but I'm struggling to find out much more about this price is £110 on there. Are these still available and from where, also how much are they now? If anyone knows.
June 11, 2010 03:17PM
The more I look into it I increasingly get the impression that I'm not going to be able to make any distinct savings over buying a rapman from bitsfrombytes, would I be able to fit a heated bed to one of these though?

Also opinions on whether this is a cost effective route?
June 12, 2010 02:16PM
If you don't have any experince working with electronics then zach's gen3 are going to be your best bet.
You could also look at iprint3d.org for sourceing zach's gen3 or the tech zone remix ( which might be cheaper )
however if you had some electronics experience then you might want to look at some of the wiki stuff on the pololu electronics.
Since the arduingo mega and four pololu A4983's can be picked up for around £90 but you would need a few extra components to get it all running.

LWK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login