Posted by Keigh 
Re: Electronic parts in UK
January 24, 2008 02:54PM
JoeMcGuire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> Is Arduino decimal a PIC programmer? if not what
> is the most advisable PIC programmer to buy/make?
>
> Green arrow,
>
> I'm looking to use your shopping list for Rapid.
> I've noted what you have said already on this
> thread - is there anything since, you might have
> ordered or done differently?
>
> Can anyone recommend where to get the 4 pin Molex
> power connector?
>
> Joe

I'm using a JDM programmer and it works great. I followed the instructions on [reprap.org] and have had no problems at all with it (using piklab under linux). I will be happy to program pics for anyone who is having trouble programming them, if you send me them and a SAE i will program them and post them back, it will only take a couple of minutes to do.

I have since bought more of the 2 pin connectors as having one 12 pin connector from the powercomms board with all the power wires coming from it is just annoying (6 2 pin connectors will still fit onto the same pcb 12 pin socket). Also i got some spare 2 pin connectors to make spare comms loop (tx, rx) wires as it's usefull to have ones of varying sizes.

I bought my endstop sensors from zach, although it is possible to use the ones from rapid (with a few minor changes, theres a wiki page somewhere), they just wont fit the pcbs

JoeMcGuire Wrote:
> Ian Eagland,
>
> Sorry, your response was a little over my head.
> Can you confirm if I can use the Arduino (Which I
> own) as the PIC programmer for the RepRap?
>
> Cheers
>
> Joe

There is no reason why someone could not make an arduino program pics, but it would be a rather roundabout way of doing things. It would be simpler and easier to make a JDM. [reprap.org]

TheFallen Wrote:
> Joe, search for 1ohm resistors, two of them in
> parallel with give you the 0.5 ohms required for
> the L298 sense resistors. It's easier and cheaper
> than using the 5 0.1 ohm resistors as green arrow
> has done...

Which resistors are these? The inputs to the L298 are connected directly to pic outputs and the L298 outputs directly to the motor.
January 24, 2008 03:08PM
Green arrow,

Thanks for that response,

Did you consider ordering from Mouser?

I'm weighing up my options. Rapid are out of stock of a couple of the items on your list.

Also Mouser will ship to the UK for $25, although I imagine there may be import VAT on top.
January 24, 2008 03:26PM
JoeMcGuire Wrote:
> Green arrow,
>
> Thanks for that response,
>
> Did you consider ordering from Mouser?
>
> I'm weighing up my options. Rapid are out of stock
> of a couple of the items on your list.
>
> Also Mouser will ship to the UK for $25, although
> I imagine there may be import VAT on top.

I didn't look into mouser, but if the delivery rate isn't too bad then it could be a good option. Also the bom has all the codes (i think) for mouser which is pretty handy.

I've still yet to get my stepper motors (have some really small ones at the moment). Has anyone bought of the official ones yet?
January 24, 2008 03:36PM
I'm not sure what you mean by official ones. But I placed an order, which included the motors, with bitsfrombytes.com at the start of the week.

Cheers for your help mouser seem the way forward for me.
January 25, 2008 03:08AM
There will be VAT and also depending on the carrier a handling charge this can be anywhere for

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
January 25, 2008 12:19PM
To sense the current across the stepper motor coils you need two 0.5 ohm resistors, something we don't have in the UK, or at least in in any of the main electronics suppliers.

The resistors need to be around 1 watt and carbon film NOT wire-wound. Rapid sell some nice 1 ohm resistors that can, when soldered in parallel can replace the 0.5 ohm resistor.

And about
February 14, 2008 02:44AM
Ordering from the USA from here in the UK is something of a game of roulette.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and when it doesn't you have to pay for it again.

I wanted some stainless items from Mc Master and Carr.

McM & C processed the order, marked the parcel as requested (No commercial value, or you are screwed import tax etc) the parcel duly arrived in an opened and not resealed state with half of the parts fallen out/missing.

I asked McM & C to help and they sent it all again and billed me again.... They don't ship insured and even if they did the carrier won't answer for the Customs & Excise habit of tearing things up/open and not being liable to restore it to original condition when they have finished screwing with it.

You can order from most Eu states these days without all the fuss as there are no import/export restrictions or paperwork to contend with. (Not a lot of folk quite realize this, the UK still functions in island mode). You do have the language barrier to contend with and locating suppliers who will work with you on it and aren't the big outfits that have exorbitant charges.

Generally the case here for sometime has been that gear from the USA is sold here in the UK for the Dollar price but in pounds (Change the dollar sign) thats the markup & tax you contend with if you are buying from an importer. Very frustrating when you work out what people are really paying for it retail in the USA.

Sounds kind of bleak I guess, but the end result is to try and find best price localy in the UK.

Electronically speaking there are always the usuals in order of most expensive to least.

RS Components (aka electromail)
Farnel Components (aka CPC)
Maplin

There are others like Hero, Arrow, Rapid etc too, many of these are really distributors rather than wholesalers or retailers but will deal with you if approached right and you are buying enough quantity.

Look out for the smaller more specialized outfits aimed at hobbyists for the better prices/deals people like Mega Electronics (I don't know if Cirkit are still going) particularly for PCB making materials. these can usually be found with Google or from the pages of electronics magazines.

For PCB manufacture/prototype send outs check out the pages of Elektor for people like PCB Pool.

Hope this helps

cheers

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
Wolfen
November 28, 2008 08:43AM
I haven't bought anything from them yet, but a friend recommended [www.mouser.com] . They seem to be a bit cheaper than farnell, and have a decent search function.

Jack
November 28, 2008 08:57AM
I think Mouser charge postage. With Farnel it is free next day delivery if you spend more than

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login