Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Polymorph Substrate

Posted by degroof 
Polymorph Substrate
March 22, 2008 01:35PM
I just tried an experiment using a 1mm sheet of polymorph as a base for an HDPE build. I only did a single layer as a test. Here's the result:

The HDPE sticks well to the polymorph. To remove the build from the base, you heat it up and peel it off. You can also reuse the polymorph for additional builds.

The problem I've got now is that I need a way to make sheets of polymorph that are thin, flat and even. The one I made was formed by pressing it onto a piece of laminate using my hands. Turned out a bit too lumpy for practical use.

Any suggestions on how to make sheets of this stuff?
Re: Polymorph Substrate
March 22, 2008 05:12PM
Isn't it easier to just use 10mm PP chopping board? Already comes in a sheet, not expensive, and completely reusable if you use the correct temperature.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 24, 2008 03:14AM
Since polymorph can be reused and we can already deposit it, could we use it as a support material?
March 25, 2008 04:24PM
I ended up using one of these: [www.overstock.com]

Works very well for extruding sheets of polymorph and it has adjustable thickness.
March 25, 2008 11:35PM
Ooh, a pasta machine. Good call.

Are there any tricks to it, like oiling the rollers, or is it straightforward?
March 26, 2008 03:54AM
Yeah, I also thought about using a pasta machine to produce 'plastic sheets'. At a kitchen store I found out that the one they offered are adjustable from .3 mm to 10 mm or so.

I am still dreaming of trying Instructables' potato plastic (plastic made from starch). Since pasta dough is just a different kind of starch based plastic I will try the lubrication proposed for intended use of the device.

Okay. Not really an answer to your question. Just wanted to show my interest.

Howie

--
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
[www.airspace-v.com] for tools and toys
March 26, 2008 07:57AM
I pretty much just heated up a blob of polymorph (actually ShapeLock) in some hot water and cranked it through. The machine has 9 thickness settings. I picked one in the middle. It does tend to curl a bit, so I flattened it on the bench and let it cool.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login