Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moulding with high-temp silicone rubber

Posted by VDX 
VDX
Moulding with high-temp silicone rubber
May 10, 2008 05:12PM
Hi all,

because our last effort to make some "Han Solo in Carbonite"-chocolate bars with moulding in wax didn't work fine, i tried with a kit of 2K-silicone-rubber.

Here are some images of moulding the milled "Han Solo ..." with the silicone:

It works fine - the details are very accurate and the separating of the form from the original and later from the chocolate-bar's is very easy (the wax-form breakes down here).

Another interesting point is the high-temp-stability of the material - it can withstand 450
Re: Moulding with high-temp silicone rubber
May 11, 2008 07:21AM
What about printing with a higher-temp plastic like HDPE? You could definately pour molten chocolate into a mould made out of that.

Jay
VDX
May 11, 2008 03:12PM
Hi Jay,

... the chocolate-moulding needs only 70
Attachments:
open | download - Schoko1.jpg (72 KB)
open | download - Schoko2.jpg (91.1 KB)
open | download - Schoko-Detail.jpg (111.1 KB)
May 11, 2008 05:25PM
That is great! And it is here where one can begin to make back some of the money that they have sunk into their Baby RepRap! HAHA

Jay
May 13, 2008 03:15AM
Viktor,

Is there a similar material with a higher top range? say half again? If so then molding zinc becomes possible, Zinc is often harder and has greater tensile strength than iron, so being able to cast it would be a real step forward.

Brian
VDX
May 13, 2008 03:32AM
Hi Brian,

for higher temperatures you should change to plaster of paris or ceramic pastes with low shrinkage - here you can mould with over 1000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2008 03:45AM by Viktor.
May 13, 2008 09:07AM
Yeah, I've done investment and sand casting, but the one-off limit is annoying, although probably less so with a CNC tool to make the originals. I love lost foam casting, yeah the fumes are nasty but you can go from an idea at lunch to a metal version at dinner with minimal technology. I am trying to think of a way to make an automated foundry to team with RepRap because the payoff in capabilities is so huge. I am not impressed by metal sintering technologies, as the technology is high and elaborate and the resulting materials are limited and require lots of post processing. Casting technology comes right after banging the rocks together and yet you can make everything from jewelry to jet turbines.
VDX
August 15, 2008 04:18PM
... an update ...

My older son is celebrating his tenth birthday and i'm actually busy moulding "Han Solo in chocolate" for his friends - this time it's very tasty milk-chocolate winking smiley

The first three bars:

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login