Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruding aluminium powder using a tiny railgun?

Posted by Matthew Raymond 
Extruding aluminium powder using a tiny railgun?
November 14, 2010 09:38PM
I was pondering methods that could be used as an alternative to Electron Beam Free Form Fabrication (EBF3), and I was wondering if a very small, low power railgun couldn't be used to create aluminum parts instead. I've read that you can make a mini-railgun using the flashes in disposable cameras, so I figured that it shouldn't be difficult to heat and accelerate small particles of aluminium to the point where they would fuse with other aluminium particles on impact. Each layer of an aluminium part would consist of hundreds or thousands of little "blasts" of a very small amount of aluminium powder at very close range.

Pros:
  1. Should be able to build the mini-railgun using off-the-shelf components.
  2. Doesn't require a vacuum chamber, radiation shielding or a powerful electron beam.
  3. The tiny amount of aluminium being fired from a very close range would be relatively safe because the aluminium would have low mass and cool quickly. A Lexan box should be more than adequate protection.

Cons:
  1. It would need a support material for complex parts.
  2. You'd have to solve the problem of depositing the first layer. This may mean either using an initial sheet of aluminium and cutting it off later, or using a material to absorb the impact of the first pass of projected aluminium. (Support material?)
  3. The railgun may wear out quickly. It would have to be very durable to survive the printing of a single part.

Any thoughts?
VDX
Re: Extruding aluminium powder using a tiny railgun?
November 15, 2010 04:37AM
... aluminium is oxidizing instantly with oxygene, so you have to work in vakuum or inert gas ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 15, 2010 12:33PM
you are certainly thinking out of the box here - very interesting thought. I like it.
November 19, 2010 10:58AM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... aluminium is oxidizing instantly with oxygene,
> so you have to work in vakuum or inert gas ...

Would pure nitrogen gas react with aluminum under these conditions?
VDX
November 22, 2010 05:51AM
Hi Matthew,

AFAIK nitrogen is 'safe' - but all applications i know, welding and melting aluminium, use argon confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

November 23, 2010 06:49PM
not certain but i believe you will get a aluminum nitrate if you try to heat in nitrogen. aluminum is rather reactive with most things so inert gasses are a must.
VDX
November 24, 2010 04:31AM
... i've checked first: - aluminium nitrate is a combination with oxygene, so won't react in pure nitrogen atmosphere ...

Viktor
--------

December 01, 2010 01:20AM
sorry my last post was incomplete, i didnt mean aluminum nitrate specificly but a nitrogenation of your aluminum in general. all aluminum welding is done with either argon or helium. I tried to find any references to why nitrogen isnt ever used as a aluminum sheild gas but found none. The closest reference was that nitrogen in carbon steel welding will cause porosity, but all sources I could locate just say unsutable.

Depending on how your shield container was build would determine if argon or helium were better, if the container has a open top then argon, if open bottom then helium.
VDX
December 01, 2010 04:26AM
... the decision between Argon or Helium is mainly cost-dependant - Helium is much, much more expensive than Argon eye popping smiley

Viktor
--------

December 02, 2010 06:19AM
Any thoughts?

I'd do it backwards; lay down a bed of Aluminum powder and then sinter with an electron beam.
http://reprap.org/wiki/MetalicaRap

Or laserssmiling bouncing smiley
http://reprap.org/pipermail/reprap-dev/2010-December/002038.html

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
December 29, 2010 01:38PM
Any progress?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login