Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Screw drive to push filament?

Posted by patbob 
Screw drive to push filament?
March 16, 2011 02:36AM
Has anybody seen, or tried, using a screw thread to push the filament into the hot end? I read through a lot of back threads and thought I'd seen where someone had tried this early on, but now I can't find anything. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I thought I'd ask.

I'm trying to remote the extruder drive motor for my legostrap and such a beast, if it exists, would make my life much easier smiling smiley.

thanks.
Re: Screw drive to push filament?
March 16, 2011 02:40AM
Back in the dawn times Adrian did one up:
http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapOneDarwinThermoplastExtruder grinning smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 16, 2011 12:06PM
SebastienBailard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in the dawn times Adrian did one up:
> [reprap.org]
> xtruder grinning smiley

Thanks. I knew I'd seen one someplace.

Now to see if I can adapt it or use some concepts from it...
March 16, 2011 03:00PM
patbob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now to see if I can adapt it or use some concepts
> from it...

One problem is that it rotates the filament, so the filament spool needs to be able to rotate in two axes. Also, it is slow extruding and difficult to control accurately without an encoder, and is somewhat complex. These are the reasons the move was made to a stepper driven pinch wheel extruder. If you can use the idea to make a better extruder though, go for it!

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 16, 2011 06:47PM
NewPerfection Wrote:
> If you can use the idea to
> make a better extruder though, go for it!

Slow probably won't be a problem for me -- my linear steppers aren't exactly speed demons so my cartbot is on the slow side as it is.

I'm planning to adapt the ideas rather than use the design directly. I'm sure I won't improve on anything, but I'll probably learn something along the way.. with any luck, maybe even something useful to others smiling smiley
March 16, 2011 07:14PM
Screw drive has the best grip: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com], particularly for soft plastics. It also has the advantage over a pinch wheel that the amount of plastic fed is simply the thread pitch times the revs. With a pinch wheel it depends on how far the plastic sinks in to the teeth, so harder plastic feed a little faster.

It isn't slow to feed, simply a higher gear ratio, so you just run the motor faster. The torque is lower, so you can probably direct drive with a stepper.

The down sides are that it is very mechanically inefficient because of the friction involved in cutting a thread into the plastic. It also makes dust. As stated above it tends to make the filament rotate and each rotation reduces the feed. The force on the half bearings is high and brass does not last long, so you need to do something like this: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com].

Reprap moved to pinch wheel and it generally considered better.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login