Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aerogel insulation

Posted by Buback 
Aerogel insulation
September 15, 2010 06:04PM
I just ordered some aerogel granules from here. I'm going to try using it to insulate the hot end. my idea for how to attach the granules:
1- pour the granules onto some aluminum foil
2- put the hot end assembly onto the granules
3- wrap up the foil a bit, then cover the hot end with more granules.
4- finish wrapping up the pile of stuff so that there's a big ball on the end of the extruder

should work well enough for testing.
another option i want to try is spraying adhesive on paper or foil and sprinkling down the granules. i think it will insulate well enough that i won't need high temp glue. this paper could then be wrapped around the hot end, aerogel side facing in.

yet another experiment is to mix the aerogel into epoxy

no machine yet, so it will be a couple weeks before i have any results. Stay tuned.
VDX
Re: Aerogel insulation
September 16, 2010 04:10AM
... i used hollow glass-pheres (ecospheres) with 50 microns diameter from Trelleborg or different glass- and ceramic microspheres from OmegaMinerals in waterglass (sodium silicate).

It's hardening on air to a styrofoam-like mass and withstands heat from 600 centigrades (ecospheres) to 1200 centigrades (ceramic microspheres).

The brittleness can be rduced with some elastic additives, but this would be a more complex theme ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 16, 2010 10:50PM
How do they compare to aerogel as an insulator? I thought silica aerogel was the best besides a vacuum.

a solid piece of aerogel formed to go around a block heater would be the ideal setup. if my experiment is promising i'll learn how to do this for the next step.
VDX
September 17, 2010 03:33AM
... lower insulation capability, but higher mechanical strength ... it's dependant of your application, which material is better.

With the ecospheres and the 'foamed' omega-glass-microspheres i have a material comparable to styrofoam ... with the hollow alumina-microspheres it's a bit more dense, so lower thermal insulation, but the spheres are much more rigid, so i can apply much more force to the foam until it breaks away ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

September 17, 2010 11:35AM
Do you have any of your experiments up online? i'd be interested to read about what you've done with it so far.
VDX
September 17, 2010 03:04PM
... no, i made most of the mixtures when working for a company where i developed different methods connecting, isolating and housing temperature-sensors for high-temp (until 600 centigrades) measuring of gas concentrations in toxic and reactive atmospheres.

At home i made some tests with ecospheres to test the max. temps until the glass-spheres melts ... and searched some alternative sources like OmegaMinerals ...

All other related work is delayed, after i'll restart with my paste-dispensers for room-temp fabbing ...

Viktor
--------

September 22, 2010 08:22PM
I got the aerogel in today! I have to wait till I make an extruder before I can do any testing on the machine, but i will start playing with it. First impressions: it's hard to see! the picture below are played with a bit so it's easier to distinguish. It's also dusty; if i stick my finger into the bottle, it comes out with a fuzzy white sheen all over it. i'll have to get a dust mask (which i hate cause i have glasses, and every time i breath out they fog up).

it's also crumbly, kinda like dried mud. i kept trying to pick up a granule off the table but the top of it just sloughed off.

DSC04846.JPG
From Aerogel
DSC04847.JPG
From Aerogel
DSC04849.JPG
From Aerogel
DSC04850.JPG
From Aerogel
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 08:32PM by Buback.
May 03, 2011 03:01PM
Well I finally experimented with the Aerogel. Conclusion: non ideal, at least as i had it set up. Very messy, as particles get everywhere, and are very abrasive. they also bounce very far (just like silica desiccant. if you haven't played with it, try bouncing it on a hard surface! it's fun!)

I needed something to contain the Aerogel pieces, so i made a box out of copper foil, with a hole in the bottom that allows me to screw it onto the threaded hot end. the box has an open top, so i just poured the aerogel bits in 'til it was full.

Copper is a bad choice. the box gets very hot. it acts like a big heat sink, pulling the heat away from the place where i want heat concentrated; the nozzle tip. So, while the rest of the hot end is insulated, the nozzle gets cooled.

This may result in a more consistent temp at the nozzle than if it was uninsulated, but other insulation will do that with less effort or mess.

The box approach also leads to the insulation surrounding the ptfe spacer, making the melt zone larger, which is the last thing we want to do.

The only other option i see to using the aerogel scraps is making a kapton-aerogel-kapton package, and wrapping it around the hot end. again, i don't know if this will lead to a better solution than just fiberglass, and doubt it will.
inh
May 09, 2011 07:59AM
Why not try some Pyrogel XT insulation? Better than fiberglass!

[www.buyaerogel.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login