Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PET feedstock

Posted by JoR 
JoR
PET feedstock
September 08, 2009 05:13AM
Hello.

Couldn't it be possible to use PET as feedstock for newer RepRaps? Everyone can get it very cheap and as it seems it's very similar to PLA being used for developing the new RepRap.
Re: PET feedstock
September 12, 2009 12:17PM
PET needs a fairly high temp to extrude. If I recall, it's above the (stock) thermister's range, so using it would require a thermocouple (or a platinum) temp sensor. I think PET welding rod is available; don't know if anybody's tried it yet.
As for recycling, many have talked about making a machine to melt/reform bottles/other PET disposable items, but nobody has gotten that working reliably yet.
One issue is how to get the air bubbles out of the gooey melt. If you're inspired, you might succeed where other's haven't. Consider giving it a try!

-- Larry
Joe
September 18, 2009 10:26PM
Larry_Pfeffer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One issue is how to get the air bubbles out of the
> gooey melt. If you're inspired, you might succeed
> where other's haven't. Consider giving it a try!
>
> -- Larry

How about putting the melted plastic into a vibrating container? I've seen construction crews use vibration to remove bubbles from cement.

You could also try putting it into a centrifuge and spinning it.

I wonder if melting in in a higher or lower air pressure would allow you to get a lower viscosity without having the plastic break down into harmful chemicals...
September 21, 2009 11:52AM
Hello

I saw this on instructables.

If PET could be used to feed an reprap it would be fairly simple to reprap an guide for an boxcutter blade do keep the string at an constante width, and saving the painfful task of cutting it with scissors.

I would love to see this working

Cheers
September 21, 2009 02:29PM
October 03, 2011 09:10AM
do u think that PET can be source as EG for another 20 years...coming years.....to produce PEG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login