Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nichrome wires vs resistor?

Posted by destroyer2012 
Nichrome wires vs resistor?
March 10, 2012 03:58AM
So I've heard a lot of talk about these resistors mounted in aluminum blocks used to heat extruders, and it seems to me like a move in the wrong direction. I've prepared a list of percieved advantages and disadvantages of nichrome vs resistor designs:

Resistor Disadvantages
- excessive mass
- wasted heat
- requires precisely milled aluminum block to acheive press fit over hot end
Resistor Advantages
- Easy to assemble (the aluminum block is not easy to build!)
- little risk of shorts (however the resistor can still chip..)
Nichrome Disadvantages
- Annoyingly difficult to assemble
- Insulating (get insulated nichrome!)
Nichrome Advantages
- Cheap and easy to get all the parts
- Very light
- Easy to insulate, save wasted heat.

Based on this the nichrome has more advantages and fewer disadvantages than the resistor design.

Why do we use the resistor design?
Re: Nichrome wires vs resistor?
March 10, 2012 04:17AM
destroyer2012 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I've heard a lot of talk about these resistors
> mounted in aluminum blocks used to heat extruders,
> and it seems to me like a move in the wrong
> direction. I've prepared a list of percieved
> advantages and disadvantages of nichrome vs
> resistor designs:
>
> Resistor Disadvantages
> - excessive mass once you cover your nichrome in ceramic cement it weighs more than a resistor
> - wasted heat The heat is being evenly distributed by the block and adds thermal stability
> - requires precisely milled aluminum block to acheive press fit over hot endAll of mine are made with a hand drill and cheap drill bits. They are threaded so it just screws on, no press fit.

> Resistor Advantages
> - Easy to assemble (the aluminum block is not easy to build!) easier than using nichrome
> - little risk of shorts (however the resistor can still chip..) So can insulated nichrome

> Nichrome Disadvantages
> - Annoyingly difficult to assemble So true
> - Insulating (get insulated nichrome!) Can be scratched off and short just like the resistor

> Nichrome Advantages
> - Cheap and easy to get all the parts Resistors are available at every electronics supplier. Nichrome is not stocked at most places I have seen
> - Very light Not once covered in ceramic cement
> - Easy to insulate, save wasted heat. No thermal mass so it's almost always on to maintain temperature as the filament draws away heat

> Based on this the nichrome has more advantages and
> fewer disadvantages than the resistor design. I see it as just the opposite
>
> Why do we use the resistor design? Easier, rebuildable, pre set wattage, basically its nichrome based cartridge heater.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
March 10, 2012 05:01AM
Another disadvantage of nichrome is that it is difficult to make connections to it. Having used both methods I much prefer the resistor heater.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 12, 2012 01:45PM
Polycarbonate needs around 300 C to print, which i think would shorten the life of most resistors significantly, if they could reach those temps at all.

Otherwise, i don't see any advantage of nicrome over resistors.
March 12, 2012 02:55PM
A RWM04106R80JR15E1 6.8r resistor is rated 30 watts @ 450c. Although it would shorten the life dramatically, I wouldn't think nichrome could handle it very long either.

It says a word in my post has been banned when I try and post the link to the PDF datasheet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 02:58PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login