Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

direct driving extruder

Posted by bcndynamics 
direct driving extruder
March 11, 2012 03:59PM
Hi,

I have an extruder that the motor directly drives the plastic to the hot end. I'm using ABS of 3mm diameter and the nozzle is 0,5mm. The problem is that at some moment the motor seems to need more torque and jumps. The axis comes back to the previous step or something like that. I can hear a CLACK! from the motor. When printing it happens each second aprox. I'm using a source of 24v and 3A, and I have tried all potentiometer positions in the motor driver. The hotend temperature is 230. I have tried also with 240 and 250. But I'm not sure that the problem is the temperature. I also slowed the speed of the motor but the same. Sometimes the extruder works fine for some minuts, but then the clacks come again.

I have this extruder: [www.mendel-parts.com]

Do you now how I can solve it? Thanks for your help.
Re: direct driving extruder
March 11, 2012 04:49PM
3mm filament drives are usually geared with a NEMA17 motor. I think you would need NEMA23 for direct drive. What sort of motor and extruder are you using?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 11, 2012 08:22PM
I'm using a NEMA17.. sad smiley

Do you think that could work with PLA instead of ABS?

thanks for your help!
March 11, 2012 09:42PM
PLA can be easier to push. Its viscosity drops with temperature much more rapidly than ABS.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 17, 2012 01:33PM
I changed the motor, I'm using a NEMA 23 now. But I was still having problems with ABS due to the bed temperature. It couldn't achieve 110ยบ.

I'm using PLA now and it works fine. Thanks for your help smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login