Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

conductive polymorph powder?

Posted by John Meacham 
conductive polymorph powder?
April 21, 2008 06:04PM
I have some shapelock, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for turning it into a very fine powder? I wanted to do an experiment where I mixed powdered polymorph with laser toner and measure the resulting conductivity.

here is the inspiration for the idea:
[www.instructables.com]
Re: conductive polymorph powder?
June 12, 2008 07:57AM
The hard part would be grinding it without heating it. Perhaps a kitchen meat grinder, turned slowly be hand? It may not get you a fine powder but it will help spread the Shapelock so you can incorporate the toner with melting and stirring.

If the experiment works it sounds like it would be far more cost-effective than the "Amazing Wire Glue" I just saw at Goldmine (http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16133). It's $3.95 for 0.3 fluid ounces.

"Brand new product is an electrically conductive glue. Make electrical connections quickly without heat or solder. Attach wires to glass solar panels, batteries, etc. using this amazing product. Highly conductive non-toxic no lead product is great for low voltage electrical connections. Just apply and allow to cure overnight. You'll find hundreds of uses for this amazing product."
VDX
June 12, 2008 08:29AM
... try with cooling the grinder and the material prior to act - be carfully with plastic parts, beneath -10
I think a ball mill is the best thing for this.
June 19, 2008 05:23PM
Wait a minute, isn't laser toner something like graphite or carbon, and isn't carbon the stuff they use in resistors? [hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu]
June 20, 2008 04:56AM
Laser toner is a mixture of plastic and dye, the black dye might have some carbon in it, but I think they use black iron oxides.
Most importantly it probably has a high electrical resistance because of the plastic.

[olytim.blogspot.com]
conundrum
September 28, 2010 06:25PM
Douglas Brebner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think a ball mill is the best thing for this.

a thought i had is to mix in some carefully shredded conductive fibre (sparkfun has this) and carbon, the idea being that the fibres bridge the conductive particles together..
October 04, 2013 04:00PM
Not necessarily so. At least some laser printer is magnetic and conductive. See this link:

[h30499.www3.hp.com]
October 04, 2013 09:00PM
Here's a formulation for making "carbomorph", a tested conductive filament:[www.plosone.org]. The one line summary: suspend carbon black in dichloromethane, mix with your polymorph (aka PCL), dry it out and roll it into filament.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login