Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

geared extruder needs more power?

Posted by bcndynamics 
geared extruder needs more power?
June 28, 2012 07:45AM
Hello,

I'm using Wade's geared extruder in a prusa mendel, and I'm using RAMPS 1.4 for electronics with stepstick drivers.

The extruder motor sometimes can not move the gears. I can help it with my hand and then goes on some seconds, but again it runs aground.

- I have tried to increase the current by changing the variable resistor. I have it in the maximum position.

- I have used many different temperatures just to be sure that the lack of motor force is not because temperature is too low.

- I have checked that the hot end is not obstructed, or at least I'm pretty sure.

What else I can do?

FYI: I'm using this extruder version: [wiki-es.bcndynamics.com]
Re: geared extruder needs more power?
June 28, 2012 08:19AM
Stepsticks only give 1A and you are using a 2.5A motor. The recommended motor is 1.65A.

You could a genuine Pololu with a heatsink and or fan to increase the current. To get the same torque as the recommended motor with 1A you will need 1.5A. I use 1.5A for my extruder and the equivalent to that would be more than 2A.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 28, 2012 09:42AM
Ok thanks. I didn't know the limitation of stepstick, I though it was a clone 100% compatible with pololu.

I'm already using a heatsink, but it is not getting hot.

I can advise a patch or workaround?

thanks
June 28, 2012 10:33AM
To get any more current you have to lower the value of the two sense resistors. Changing them to 0.1R, or soldering another 0.2R on top would give up to 2A. To run with more than about .5A you would probably need both a fan and a heatsink.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 28, 2012 10:48AM
Hey,

I loosened the nuts of the hobbed bolt and now it is working. So, the motor needed more power because my assembling was too tight hehe.

But now I know all this things about current. So thank you anyway

regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login