Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to affix makergear hot end?

Posted by ambiguousphoton 
how to affix makergear hot end?
July 02, 2012 10:49PM
Hi everyone,
I am wondering how to attach a makergear hot end to a greg's extruder. I see the hole that the hot end can fit into and I have had some luck with super glue, but it just isn't reliable enough. I see that there are screw holes in the extruder, but the makergear doesn't seem to go in enough in order to use it. Am I missing something? Do people put a plate with a hole in it between the extruder and the X carriage to keep the hot end in place or how do people normally deal with this?

Thanks!
Re: how to affix makergear hot end?
July 03, 2012 05:02AM
Yes, I've seen one mounted on a metal plate, which in turn is bolted to the extruder. I have no idea if this plate was homemade or an option you can get at makergear, you should ask them.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
July 03, 2012 11:11PM
Hey Everyone,
For future reference, Makergear gives you popsicle sticks that I thought were for stirring the epoxy but they also work great for holding the extruder in place. You just cut them in half and use each half on either side of the hot end. When you screw down your extruder the popsicle sticks are then trapped between the X carriage and the extruder and will also keep the hot end in place if you place them in the right spot.

Before figuring this out, I actually designed a part that would have done the trick too. I am attaching it below.

Enjoy!
Attachments:
open | download - groovemountsj_fixed.stl (53.9 KB)
July 05, 2012 06:42PM
Makergear sells a wooden mounting piece that holds the hotend to a wades. It's on the same page as the hotend kits at the bottom of the list.
July 07, 2012 12:32AM
If you want something more substantial than wood, Hotends.com sells an aluminum mounting plate.

July 10, 2012 11:43PM
Thanks for the tip on the metal plate! Their prices seem pretty reasonable, I should pick one up for the next hot end I get.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login