Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

fire cement problem

Posted by mark 
fire cement problem
August 28, 2008 07:47AM
I'm having a problem with the fire cement that I'm going to use in the extruder for my reprap. I took it out of it's wrapping, used some, and then put it in a sealed plastic bag, thinking that that would stop it from setting but it didn't. Does anyone know any way of making it usable again, or am I going to have to buy more?
Re: fire cement problem
August 28, 2008 04:52PM
The kit I got from BitsFromBytes had a similar problem - it had been squished in transit/storage and arrived as a solid lump - I bought a tub at B&Q for about
August 29, 2008 05:10AM
My bag from BitsFromBytes was rock solid too.

Can I use Exhaust Cement (rated to 300C) for repairing car exhausts instead?
Ru
August 29, 2008 05:27AM

Can I use Exhaust Cement (rated to 300C) for repairing car exhausts instead?

That sounds like a sensible sort of idea. Give it a go and let us know how it works out winking smiley I don't know if anyone has found a really satisfactory material yet, in terms of price and being easy to obtain.
August 29, 2008 08:30AM
> Can I use Exhaust Cement (rated to 300C) for
> repairing car exhausts instead?

Certainly worth trying, but at least here (northeast US) furnace cement is something that you can go to a hardware store and buy that's good to a couple thousand degrees. Although I think only one of the two big home improvement warehouse-stores had it.
August 29, 2008 04:10PM
The Fire cement is supported in a copper tube so has no mechanical load and is simply to hold the NiChrome and stop it all shorting and give a thermal connection to the heater barrel. Any cement fire/furnace that can be used when installing fire places/ wood burners etc will work. Exhaust pastes may be a bit low on temp due to the heat of the NiChrome but as long as it doesn't get nasty (fumes) it should work. As should JB weld etc it's just fire cement is much cheaper and more readily available.

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
Ru
August 30, 2008 06:31AM

As should JB weld etc

Haven't people been having issues with the JB weld perishing over time, though?
August 30, 2008 09:34AM
Ru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Haven't people been having issues with the JB weld
> perishing over time, though?
>
I haven't used it in that way, but according to Nophead, it does indeed perish after a while.
August 30, 2008 09:58AM
certainly does. just crumbles.

demented
September 01, 2008 03:48AM
The BfB design has the fire cement/ JB Weld in a copper tube so if it crumbles it will still stay in the same place and has nowhere to go.

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
July 01, 2009 07:16AM
Hi there
I think some fire cement can only be use inside. Have a look this website [www.vitcas.com]
July 05, 2009 02:01PM
Fire cement from B&Q is about 3.49 its also sold in Wilkinsons around the same price.

I bought a pot from B&Q nearly a year ago I am still using it.

In fact it will be used for my two wood burning stoves that I have to renovate.
One is a pot belly like you see on old westerns, the others a normal looking glass door'ed stove.

For the extruders I am using the Kaptan high temp tape from "deal extreem"

As dealextream sent my tape marked as a gift there was not the extra £8 Post Office handling charge to pay total cost $3 About £2 including P&P

[www.dealextreme.com]

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
July 06, 2009 02:07AM
Thanks for the tip.
I was wondering where to get the Kapton tape

---
Reprapping blog and other rants: [renoirsrants.blogspot.com]
My Reprap: [sites.google.com]
Ken
August 10, 2009 08:52PM
"The Vitcas PREMIUM range are fire cements available in buff or black colour for a wide range of uses either industrially or domestically. Fire cement is used in the assembly of cast iron stoves, in fireplace repairs and boilers."

"Vitcas Premium Fire Cement is finely ground putty-like material which is resistant to high temperatures. It sets rock-hard when exposed to heat or at room temperature, although the process takes longer the lower temperature. Premium Fire Cement will ensure both smoke and gas tight joints."

Fire Cement should not be used as a fireplaces screed or render nor for barbecues or other outside applications. Use Vitcas Heatproof Screed to provide a protective rendering
May 30, 2010 01:26PM
One issue with exhaust paste is it is designed to expand a little as it sets - to close any gaps in exhaust fittings. This may not be an issue - but you never know!

Si
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login