Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Material Do You Use?

Posted by carpenma 
What Material Do You Use?
October 07, 2008 07:06PM
The title says it all, what material do you print with? Also, is it in a string (or coil) or is it in pellet form? I'm asking this because on bits from bytes they offer coiled material as a print substance, but on the store they sell pellets or powder or something like that. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2008 05:03PM by carpenma.
Re: What Material Do You Use?
October 07, 2008 08:38PM
I print HPP, HDPE and hopefully, soon, ABS. I mill HDPE and HPP.
October 07, 2008 11:34PM
I print ABS and HDPE. I don't mill anything as any respectable 'strap doesn't mill...hehe. ;-)

Demented
October 08, 2008 12:06AM
Demented Chihuahua Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I print ABS and HDPE. I don't mill anything as any
> respectable 'strap doesn't mill...hehe. ;-)
>
Which is why I mill and which is why I'll eventually EDM, too. >grinning smiley<
October 08, 2008 02:30AM
Where did you see pellets/powder? AFAIK all Repraps/ Repstraps use 3mm

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
October 08, 2008 09:44AM
I'm very interested in the EDM thing. Gonna be posting on that soon or is this post-Tommelies 3.0?

Demented
October 08, 2008 10:32AM
> I'm very interested in the EDM thing. Gonna be
> posting on that soon or is this post-Tommelies
> 3.0?
>
Probably not for a while. Until I need to mill things like steel with significant thickness EDM isn't a priority. I've got all the literature and most of the parts to do it, mind. What I'm lacking is time. This economic collapse that is underway has made me take a very hard look at my research priorities. I originally got into Reprap to get the means to build active telepresence systems. With T2 I've pretty much got that means now, so T3 is having to share my time with telepresence. Indeed, it's looking like I'll be making some kaizen-enhanced versions of T2 to get me some additional manufacturing capacity before I go for a quantum leap with a T3.

One of my really big priorities right now is milling printed circuit boards. That helps the Tommelise project and also helps telepresence.
October 08, 2008 06:11PM
Hm, i was sure that I saw a pellet form. I can't seem to find it now... I'll let you know if I come across it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2008 05:04PM by carpenma.
October 08, 2008 07:48PM
found it! heres the link: [reprap.org]
October 08, 2008 10:47PM
Oh, polymorph! Duh! You were most definitely correct.

Demented
October 09, 2008 04:23PM
lol, awesome
October 09, 2008 04:55PM
Note, however, that the extruder can only use 3mm filament. That polymorph was to be used to make special things for your Darwin machine by hand with the aid of some molds. Don't really think that is being used much now.

Demented
October 09, 2008 05:21PM
k, thanks
October 10, 2008 04:20AM
The polymorph is still used for making belt gears in a reprapped copy. We can'tquitemake gearsfineenough to do the X and Y axes,though I'm sure that'll change.

Vik :v)
October 10, 2008 12:35PM
vik_on_asus Wrote:
> The polymorph is still used for making belt gears
> in a reprapped copy. We can'tquitemake
> gearsfineenough to do the X and Y axes,though I'm
> sure that'll change.
>
I'm pretty sure I can. If the features are large enough to have room for a 1/16th inch (1.59 mm) diameter cutter head, we're good to go. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I also expect that Nop can extrude them, too, from what I saw of his last effort in that direction.

He's getting features with well under 1 mm scale using 0.3 mm extruded filament (the gear on your right was made with a 0.3 mm filament).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2008 12:46PM by Forrest Higgs.
October 10, 2008 01:24PM
I don't know if we are quite there yet, or will ever be with FFF.

These parts have a direct effect on accuracy, so I think we need the teeth to be spaced correctly to within 0.1mm and the radius correct to 1/3 of that.

The steppers, belts and the gears are the few parts I think it is worth spending money on to get an accurate machine.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 10, 2008 02:14PM
Oh well... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
October 10, 2008 02:34PM
Can't we just use closed loop control so that we have feedback about where we are to compensate for less than perfect parts?

Demented
October 10, 2008 02:36PM
I agree that the belts and gears aren't going to be reprapable. I don't see any way of avoiding generational loss of accuracy if we make our own belts and gears. Not without a much more complex manufacturing setup, anyway.

But these'll be GREAT for all sorts of other projects! That floor sweeping robot will need some gears to drive it's brush and wheels. And though a complex articulated arm might be terrible for fabrication (inaccuracies, wobble) it'd be fine for assembly, playing checkers, etc. and would use many, many gears. I have an old radio shack Armatron that is entirely mechanical, save only one motor. Gears, and the frames to hold them, are one of the primary things I'm looking forward to messing with.

The polymorph wasn't JUST to make gears and such though. Further down that link, it explains how to hand-roll polymorph into 3mm rods. From what I understand the general concensus on that is "Useless for large parts and very labor-intensive"

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
October 10, 2008 03:03PM
> Can't we just use closed loop control so that we
> have feedback about where we are to compensate for
> less than perfect parts?
>
Sounds great! Do it! smileys with beer
October 10, 2008 03:04PM

Can't we just use closed loop control so that we have feedback about where we are to compensate for less than perfect parts?

The sprocket has square teeth, which you can't make without infinitely small filament.

October 10, 2008 03:29PM
Adrian calls things we can't replicate "vitamins". The point is to reduce the cost and mass of vitamins as much as possible. Are we doing that? Darwin has some big mother steppers that will be VERY hard to replicate. The belts and gears are appearing to be difficult to replicate, too. confused smiley
October 10, 2008 04:08PM
It is always good to bring to cost down as long as it doesn't reduce the performance and reliability or increase the effort or skill required to make it.

The steppers are only $30 each and I Vik is trialling smaller ones which should be cheaper.

I personally don't see the point of replicating things I can buy for a reasonable price, especially if the bought ones are better than I can make.
I make the judgement roughly by how long it would take me to make one multiplied by how much I get paid per hour compared to the price, YMMV winking smiley

October 10, 2008 04:15PM
> Vik is trialling smaller ones which should be cheaper.

I don't think he is going to find those Lin Engineering steppers that I sent along to him years ago particularly cheap. eye popping smiley I got 'em in as salvage from a production line that was shut down before all the feedstock was used.

I still think the ones that CW-Motor makes are the best bet, though. They only draw 400 mw, which means you can go to a cheap 754410 half-H controller chip. I noticed that Jameco imports CW-Motor steppers. I'm going to see what they'd charge for a special order.

> I make the judgement roughly by how long it would take me to make one
> multiplied by how much I get paid per hour compared to the price, YMMV
>
You do that, too, do you. Mind, I tend to figure on what the hourly wage of my target audience is. When you're 12 or so, hourly wages aren't particularly high. Patience, however, is typically in very short supply, in my experience. smiling bouncing smiley
October 10, 2008 05:32PM
Okay, the closed loop control thing is hard, apparently... Why? Closed loop servo control is how most of the CNC machines I've ever seen have worked. I hear the drivers are harder to design--a one time process, or at least a limited number of times process--but are they more expensive?

Demented
October 10, 2008 05:44PM
Forrest Higgs Wrote:

>
> I noticed that Jameco imports
> CW-Motor steppers. I'm going to see what they'd
> charge for a special order.
>
Ridiculous bastards. They won't special order for less than 500 units. eye rolling smiley
pjr
October 15, 2008 07:07PM
Inspired by nophead's successes I tried making a belt pulley based on the BitsFromBytes acrylic designs. Material is ABS, 0.5mm at 16mm/s.

After a few false starts this is how it turned out:

wrapping the belt ...

It is not perfect but I think it would be functional. I have attached the stl file if anyone else would like to have a go grinning smiley

Peter
Attachments:
open | download - Belt20Tooth.stl (250.6 KB)
October 16, 2008 04:06AM
That's very impressive. Can you describe your machine setup, is it a standard Darwin?

October 16, 2008 09:53AM
Wowzie! eye popping smiley That's brilliant! smileys with beer

If he can make the sprocket, he ought to be able to make the belt, too. I wonder how ABS would stand up to flexing? smiling smiley
October 16, 2008 10:08AM
The belt has metal wires in it to stop it extending. I think that is what makes it a "timing belt" and why they are so expensive.

As Demented pointed out, I think if we make our own pulleys and belts we will have to use closed loop control to get the accuracy back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login